Early Albion

mogmaner

I belive it David will be looking to find it a home were it will get restored ,the hole chassy is there bar the steering box this may yet turn up ,the spring hangers certanly look like the A10 ,will try and get a beter pic of the hub cap witch are marked ALBION GLASGOW ,Will certanly require some tlc .

Anybody thinking of putting this one back together The Automobile Engineer vol. 8 ,1918 has a comprehensive article on this model and later in vol. 9, 1919 it is included in the series of Military Transport Chassis - how they performed under war conditions. Picture attached of a well used example, as with many Daimler and A.E.C. chassis, the chassis number 1685 B appears painted on the cab side. Should also be stamped on the near side of the chassis frame about level with the cab side.

Richard Peskett.

Albion A 10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That is certainly an Albion A10, but I think it was built prior to WW1. Why? Because the hubcaps are seem to be pararell not tapered. If you look at the photo of the A10 above you will see that the hubcaps are tapered. Great spares if the rest is not available. I didn't start with much more although I did have a radiator, engine and gearbox of sorts. It would be interesting to see which company supplied the steel for the chassis rails. I have seen two different companies so far. One here in Australia has a chassis by Frodingham Iron and Steel Co.Ltd England and mine is ***** I'll let you know in a few weeks, as I can't remember, and the truck is on loan to a museum. We are taking it onto the Corowa Swim-In on the 12th March so I'll let you know afterwards. The A10 type BB 3 tonner had 36 teeth on the driven cog and 18 on the pinion at the gearbox. (2 to 1 reduction) The bus chassis ran 22 to 36 and the 4 tonner 12 or 14 to 36. A cheap way to produce different chassis for different jobs. This chassis seems to have the 36 teeth driven cog. A great photo Richard , I've not seen that one before. Any more? Here is a photo if Jill and I out on a 657km run in 2006 over 3 weeks at 25km hour. Thanks Rick.

AlbionA10.jpg

• 1 year later...
Would love to see an image of this newly restored A10 Tim, would like to try and see it in person if possible too

There is a picture in this month's "Old Glory" - it has been "civilianised" and is in the livery of "Pratts Spirit". Looks very nice, though!

Tony

• 8 months later...
Yes, that's the one. Dalzell Steel.

Did some work there when it was younger. You could still see the infrastructure going back before WW2, and there were tracks for horse-drawn service trollies - clearly not big enough for motorised transport.

That same plant is now setting up to make steel for the new river Forth crossing.

• 5 months later...
Although not Military it was made just prior to WW1 and such a lovely picture

Model?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81964[/ATTACH]

Woman with Albion truck, registration number PS 222. first reg july 1914 to Robert D Ganson, Harbor St, Lerwick. Mail & passenger van 14 seats.

That is a lovely photo. The Albion is not an A10. It is a much smaller one, maybe a 30cwt. The brass radiator dates it pre WWI.

Regards Rick.