Can you help find this picture please?

robin craig

This question reminded me that somewhere I have a copy of Marshall Cavendish' The Falklands War - all 14 parts in the original folder. Have had a quick nosy but can't find the picture in question..

Interesting article on CVR(T) suggesting that more of them would have been useful, but they weren't sure how much good they would be so only took a few.

Also gave the anecdote of the commander who jumped down and sank to his knees in the muck, while the Scorp sat there quite happily, thus demonstrating the low ground pressure...

Couple of interesting pics but no number plates, I'm afraid !

Lee,

yes its "that one"!

And you would have taken it down had I posted it!

Guess I will be calling someone in the morning!

I see from the link LEE posted that the image number is "IWM No. FKD2028" so im thinking the imperial war museum hold the copywright.

R

Edited by robin craig

Lee,

yes its "that one"!

And you would have taken it down had I posted it!

Guess I will be calling the Royal Marine museum in the morning!

R

Already in the public domain & may come under the fair use policy so would of been left,

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p27_work_of_others

"Using copyright works fact sheet from UK Copyright Service"

All breaches of copyright are looked at carefully, if we think it will cause problems for HMVF then it's pulled.. the main problems we have is members using other people material from websites without permission. This nearly caused us problems this year when we were contacted by a webmaster after a member posted photos without copyright permission.. member didn't even apologize to him.. if in doubt contact the owner of the material & ask for written permission..

Please let's not get into another Copyright discussion, our policy is clearly set out in the rules :tup::

Lee,

My apologies, it was meant as a backhanded compliment to you and the work you do on behalf of the wonderful forum we all enjoy. There was not an ounce of malice meant. Infact you have rightly remind me (and others but they can chirp up) as to our obligation on the issue.

Anyhow, because Lee posted the Wikipedia link, i clicked on the photo and found the photo number. A small amount of effort on my part found on the IWM website a way to buy said image, the cost varying from 5 to 25 pounds depending on format.

Thanks Lee and no hard feelings at this end mate.

Thats one item of Santa's list . . . .

Robin

Edited by robin craig
spellink

"

Yomping; Old pommy military term meaning foot-travel, usually to extremes ie too fast for safety, too far, too tiring, etc.

Also used: yomp yomps etc.

"So we'd been yomping all night an' the orders came to return, so we kept on bloody yompin'

Trying to figure out what "yomping" meant, triggered another question, and this is the word "pommy" I was always told the word came down to "pome", which then meant "Prisoners of Mother England" I know the word pommy was used extensively during the Boer War referring to English soldiers, but I never could quite get to the bottom of this.... Help?

Monty were getting off topic but I will humour you. The Australians coined the term POME. It was their way of getting back at the Brits who called them convicts, they were saying that the Brits were also prisoners of mother england.

R

Edited by robin craig
spellink

Most Likely it originated in South Africa and was was acquired by Australian troops serving in South Africa in the later part of the 2nd Boer War.

Possibly reason for the term is that locals thought the way new arrivals from Britian caught the sun reminded them of the way a pommigranite ripened turning red (from yellow or flesh coloured) on the side facing the sun -similar to the term red neck for those labouring in the sun had their neck reddened where the gap was between hat and shirt.

The usual stories of its use in Australia/New Zealand that it refers to the materials (uniforms etc) of those prisoners transported by the British Crown having P.O.H.M or P.O.M. stamped or printed on. That is believed to stand for Prisoner of Her Majesty or even Prisoner of Moorgate or Millgate variously said to be a prison in the Thames or near Ipswich-Colchester where prisoners were held prior to transportation, are now held to be appocriphal.

Firstly I don't think anyone has found a POHM or POM uniform or even a shovel or other implement in Australia -certainly most prison uniforms and equipment had the ordnance arrow if they had markings and transportation stopped long before prison reforms led to the issuance of prisoners uniforms in England.

That'll cause a few howls of derision from down under- I don't care they are 1000s of miles away;)

Monty were getting off topic but I will humour you. The Australians coined the term POME. It was their way of getting back at the Brits who called them convicts, they were saying that the Brits were also prisoners of mother england.

R

Seeing we are off topic and Australia has been called in I knew it also had something to do with the word pomegranate but it is not definitive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pommy#Pommy but it was also "A derogatory term, it was controversially ruled no longer offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority."

Anyway Robin, back on topic, very nice picture you have highlighted :D, always good to see true public servants at work, being an ex grunt and all

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to follow up on this issue, I have been delayed because the person I wanted it for also lurks on this forum so didnt want to give the game away.

Because Lee aka safariswing posted the wikipedia link and the IWM ownership was shown there I was able after a tortuos navigation of the IWM website, let me tell you there are many levels and areas to search within and from, place an order for a copy of the picture by email of a resolution that my local photo store could print a good sized print from.

The whole deal was fairly painless money wise, I think we paid around 5 quid and had the image within a few days.

I would highly reccomend the process.

R