Saracen problems ~ Feeling quite depressed :(

andyroo

You have my sympathy too mate! I have just got the the head fixed after warping it on my J60 and I know how frustrating it is :nut: Took us three heads to find one good one and then we had to put Bedford valve guides in it!:wow:

Andy,

Very well done repair and thank you for the photos and details. Eventually I will pull the engine in mine to get at the gearbox that needs repaired. Your effort here will help considerably.

As always, I do have questions though. What is the purpose of the Foliac Maganeze on the studs?

I hate to be the dull one in the group, but what was your “deliberate mistake”?

I also noticed the lifting bar changed from the removal to the installation. I assume the later is a preference due to the balance adjustment?

Regards,

Bob

• 6 months later...
I'm guessing the deliberate mistake was the engine support bracket? Its there, then its not??

I got one of the oil pipes in the wrong place. The engine support bracket has to come of to enable you to get the engine in arround the hydrolic pump.

Fortunatly I noticed the oil pipe before the engine went in and became a pain in the a** to correct due to the fact that there is not a lost of space to turn a spanner.

Just to update, engine runs. Seems fine, however I now have charging problems. I've tryed 2 generartor pannels with no sucsess, so its front armour off and take out the rad and fans and replace the genny. Project temproary on hold due to other comitments.....

Andy

I got one of the oil pipes in the wrong place. The engine support bracket has to come of to enable you to get the engine in arround the hydrolic pump.

Fortunatly I noticed the oil pipe before the engine went in and became a pain in the a** to correct due to the fact that there is not a lost of space to turn a spanner.

Just to update, engine runs. Seems fine, however I now have charging problems. I've tryed 2 generartor pannels with no sucsess, so its front armour off and take out the rad and fans and replace the genny. Project temproary on hold due to other comitments.....

Andy

hell on earth...and i thought the stolly was hard work...

It may be worth opening up the connection plug on the end of the cable going to the generator. I have found 2 connectors with a wire that was not correctly soldered into the plug, and had come out when moving the cable about during removal or refitting. Dont know if this was bad luck or if others have seen this? Good luck, and remember its only nuts and bolts!

• 3 weeks later...

Sun's out and I'm back to the taking out stage. Engine is running well and its only the fluid flywheel that is the problem so I'm aiming to be able to move it about the 6 inches or so forward to replace the seal, otherwise its engine all the way out for the sake of it. Just pressure washed so I'm not going to be too black by the end of this.

• 3 months later...

It is very impressive what you have achieved getting the engine out and fixed. I am interested in the hoist arrangement as I probably need to do something similar (would buy a 434 but no where to keep it according to the Boss) Is there a bar spreading the load/fixture on the roof by the turret?

Rich C

• 1 month later...
just noticed the plug caps, what plugs are you running in the old girl...

Sorry for a time its taken to reply......... Tonight is the first time I've looked at the thread since I last posted.

Spark plugs are Denso Iridium, though for the life of me I cannot remember the part number. I have them in the Ferret and Saladin as well.

Andy

It is very impressive what you have achieved getting the engine out and fixed. I am interested in the hoist arrangement as I probably need to do something similar (would buy a 434 but no where to keep it according to the Boss) Is there a bar spreading the load/fixture on the roof by the turret?

Rich C

Rich,

The RSC is resting on some wood in front of the turret. Not to spread the load as the roof can cope with the load but to make the RSC more level.

The Channel dose bend with a B80 hanging on it!!

Andy

Update.

Its been some time since I even touched the Saracen. Over winter she has been a storage shed. Anyway, stuff all cleared out the back and a new found enthusiasum has been found :) I've made the decition to change the generator since I've tried 3 panels and still no joy with the charging system.

That means removing the front armour (again :( ), the radiator (again :( ), and the fans (again :( ).

In the procsess of removing the generator I lost one of the clamps in the sump of doom. A new generator was put in, a new clamp was made, the one that was lost was then found. The pully replaced, only to find out that the generator now wont revolve!! It did earlyer. Remove generator and discover the problem. Unfortuanly I'd knocked it over and damaged the air intake which ment the fan was catching the fan cowl. Swoped the cowl over from the generator that wont work which also revealed why it had stoped working. Where the brushes are is all corroded, so is easly fixed at a later date.

Anyway, almost all is now back together. Fans, radiator, front grill, front cowl and air filters. If the rain keeps away tomorrow I've got the engine covers to put on, oils to check and lights to check and hopefully can take her of for a short drive.

Feel free to wish me luck :D

Andy