Why do I want a wartime Jeep?

jonesy

Question

For a couple of years now I've had this urge to buy a wartime Jeep where I'd love to visit Normandy in it. I have no background in historic military vehicles (shame on me!) nor have I ever driven or sat in a Jeep.

I now have possibly enough funds to buy one. Not a concourse winner but more of a motor pool Jeep where it looks like it has been used. Chances are I will be buying one already restored as I don't have the means for a restoration.

My question is though, what made Jeep owners buy their first Jeep and what pitfalls should I look out for?

Cheers,

Neil.

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

why a jeep? every man and his dog have a jeep, get something different that stands out from the crowd.:cool2:

=============================

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEFT-HAND-DRIVE-LAND-ROVER-SANTANA-EX-SPAIN-MOD-1-2-TON-/190448957284?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c57a47764

These are certainly different , other than the obvious - I know little more to comment. Against a Jeep - I suppose BOGOF

===============

IMHO , I would agree with this. You are not going to get a Jeep with all F (Ford) script on major / minor parts. Other than non WW2 authenticity I would rate a good Hotchkiss (with original nomenclature plates) but not to a premium price of £9/10,000 plus - there seems to be a bit of talking the prices up here , a Hotchkiss M201 should be rated and priced as a M201. Philipino repro bodies do the job but the vehicle price should take a hammering. High value WW2 Jeeps should be priced on good originality.

A Jeep that has been - rebuilt once or twice such as a MALT with M201 parts etc. a real mongrel or "Hotchpotch" , I don't think deserve a valuation of more than £5/6000 if in the best of condition, even with a set of combat rims and dodgy nomenclature plates + plenty of chassis paint to cover well any history brandings.

http://www.m201.com/ITM/ITM.htm

The truth sometimes hurts.

For the life of me. I could never see how the Hotchkiss was priced in the same bracket as a MB/GPW. After all. one is the genuine article. And the other a copy.

For the life of me. I could never see how the Hotchkiss was priced in the same bracket as a MB/GPW. After all. one is the genuine article. And the other a copy.

No it's not - it's a genuine Jeep just not a WW2 example. And Ruxy, despite what you think about what Jeeps are worth, that not how the real world works. See if you can find a good Hotchkiss for £5k - £6k (and if you do let Jonesy know before he spends his £9k!). :) As for WW2 authenticity, as soon as a Jeep entered service and started to be maintained/fixed its originality reduced and now, 60 odd years later, who knows which bits are original?

Although I have always had an interest in WW2 & Hotchkiss - I don't bother to track prices close, not interested in the Milweb style "asking prices" - you give me examples of what a minta M201 is actually £ making.

IIIRC - about 1980 they were trading for about £1000 but could be a bit sticky , ISTR that after two 12v were painted with a white star on the bonnet (at my suggestion) - they were parked up and sold off the street with a £1500 ticket each. Yes , I think that they have been quite a good investment over the years but on the back of genuine WW2 vehicles Jeep back-to back & £ for £ I would find a decision to go beyond the price of a M201 with a rock solid original body , to go WW2 is to be justified as a investment. Yes , I do like a minta M201 presented as such.

No it's not - it's a genuine Jeep just not a WW2 example. And Ruxy, despite what you think about what Jeeps are worth, that not how the real world works. See if you can find a good Hotchkiss for £5k - £6k (and if you do let Jonesy know before he spends his £9k!). :) As for WW2 authenticity, as soon as a Jeep entered service and started to be maintained/fixed its originality reduced and now, 60 odd years later, who knows which bits are original?
I'm afraid that argument falls flat on its face. A "Genuine" Jeep is one that is built in the states and not a licenced built copy on a production line in France.

thats wrong again, the french bought all the spares and jeeps up from the USA so an hotckiss on someones drive may have seen action in ww11 or a piece of it could , :-)
No they bought what spares were left and all the tooling for production. I know its anal. But they were built using french hands,on a french production line in france sometime after the war.

When you conjure up the image of an American Jeep. Its normally of one with a star on the bonnet in action somewhere in Europe or the Pacific.

Not one been driven by a fella wearing a beret and a string of onions around his neck.

why a jeep? every man and his dog have a jeep, get something different that stands out from the crowd.:cool2:

Because a Jeep fits in your average garage, still allowing space for the washing machine, kids bikes etc.

Because a Jeep is easy to drive on a normal driving licence.

Because a Jeep is easy to fix with plenty of spares available from many dealers.

These are the facts that must have driven prices up as it certainly isn't down to rarity.

No they bought what spares were left and all the tooling for production. I know its anal. But they were built using french hands,on a french production line in france sometime after the war.

When you conjure up the image of an American Jeep. Its normally of one with a star on the bonnet in action somewhere in Europe or the Pacific.

Not one been driven by a fella wearing a beret and a string of onions around his neck.

Perhaps you could get in touch with some former members of Légion étrangère and ask if you can see their onions. Let us all know so we can watch. :)

Hi Neil

I am only a few miles away from you. Come around to my place and you can sit in my Jeep and i will tell you all about it. Circumstances allowing i will even take you for a spin. I will show you books, photos and tell you anything you need to know. After that, if you want to get a war time Jeep or a Hotchkiss, i will leave that up to you.

It is not for sale by the way, so dont even ask.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for the offer which I will gladly accept. I wish I could attend the meeting at Hook Norton but unfortunately work can't spare me tomorrow night.

When would it be best for me to visit you? PM me if you like.

As to the whole business of being wartime authentic. After reading about Jeeps during the war where they would be repaired using whichever parts they could find e.g. Ford or Willys, I'm kind of classing my needs as a Jeep which is authentic to that period or which has repro parts that looks the same.

Isn't the Ford version of the Jeep just as much a copy as a Hotchkiss then? The general population can't tell the difference between one Jeep and another anyway. At least when Hotchkiss made them they upgraded the electrics (far better lights and starting). They also have a much more durable hood, rather than the cr**y ww2 canvas rag. Go for a Hotchkiss and if you want to really stand out from the crowd keep it in French colours.

Whichever Jeep you get, you won't get much metal for your money though.