Centurion large scale model

agripper

Does anyone know of any large scale models of teh Centurion tank. I recal (but most likly are wrong ) a radio controled centurion some years back. have had a look at different models but the largest I have found was a 1/25th scale model and cant see it being a RC model.

Is there anyone who knows of a large scale model I can get. would love to get a 1/6th scale model to build. In the process of trying to adapt a 1/35th scale model gun tank into a BARV but its slow going!! :-D

Does anyone know of any large scale models of teh Centurion tank. I recal (but most likly are wrong ) a radio controled centurion some years back. have had a look at different models but the largest I have found was a 1/25th scale model and cant see it being a RC model.

Is there anyone who knows of a large scale model I can get. would love to get a 1/6th scale model to build. In the process of trying to adapt a 1/35th scale model gun tank into a BARV but its slow going!! :-D

Tamiya did (still doing occasionally) a 1/25th Centurion back in the 70s, it featured a complete interior. I have seen this model converted to radio control and it's possible that Tamiya released it with remote control (drive-by-wire :-D), but I don't remember that version on the UK market.

I don't think there is a larger scale Centurion on the market, but Armortek do a Comet in 1/6th scale, but for a price.

jch

• 3 weeks later...

As a child I remember vividly when in the 1960s several army recruiting display units were staying overnight here in the camp and they had a few very large model centurions as part of the display. They were made of wood and metal some painted silver others green, I think they must have been about 1/6 scale as I remember my arms weren’t wide enough to pick them up.

Cheers Stan.

As a child I remember vividly when in the 1960s several army recruiting display units were staying overnight here in the camp and they had a few very large model centurions as part of the display. They were made of wood and metal some painted silver others green, I think they must have been about 1/6 scale as I remember my arms weren’t wide enough to pick them up.

Cheers Stan.

In days gone by I remember large scale models of armour (in Army Recruiting shops) and ships (in the Naval shops), I always assumed they were donated by the manufacturers of the real vehicles, as they would be very expensive as "shop display" items.

But I'm willing to be proved wrong on that.

jch

• 3 weeks later...
In days gone by I remember large scale models of armour (in Army Recruiting shops) and ships (in the Naval shops), I always assumed they were donated by the manufacturers of the real vehicles, as they would be very expensive as "shop display" items.

But I'm willing to be proved wrong on that.

jch

They were manufactured in R.E.M.E Workshops, usually by apprintice's. Some were VERY nicely detailed, others not quite so much. I was informed that the last two didgits in the Reg Number were the year they were manufactured. That I cannot confirm though! I have a scorpion & a Ferret MKII from Recruiting Offices. They are completely made of Wood & quite attractive.

They were manufactured in R.E.M.E Workshops, usually by apprintice's. Some were VERY nicely detailed, others not quite so much. I was informed that the last two didgits in the Reg Number were the year they were manufactured. That I cannot confirm though! I have a scorpion & a Ferret MKII from Recruiting Offices. They are completely made of Wood & quite attractive.

I went to an open day at REME at Arborfield in 1993 and I remember seeing some wooden vehicle models there, ready to be sent out. It included a very realistic full-size wooden model of an SA80.

• 3 years later...

Hi

Could not help seeing your thread on a large scale Centurion. Armortek did build a 1/6 scale model two years ago which was very nice. The tank kits are usually produced in batches depending on a calculated demand. ie 101x King Tiger's on the first batch, 50x Comet's on their first batch, repeated batches depend on worldwide demand. If you can afford one, I can only say they are beautiful models.

cent20with20cent.jpg

Not sure how many Centurions were built by Armortek, guess 50, but here's one that was put up for sale recently. One was converted to working a bridge layer, looked and worked excellent, though I prefer the gun tank.

The 1/24 scale Centuions by various makers can be converted to R/C, some have metal tracks and motor gearboxes, beware some are static only. If your interested in british tanks, Heng Long are supposed to be coming out with a 1/16 Challenger2 soon, like the Leopard2 already on sale. It's on my wish list.

John