Amusing FV432 Find

andym

Today's job with the FV432 was clearing out the foul black gungy mess in the void between the tillers and the front of the hull. Is there supposed to be a drain for this? I can't find one and there obviously hasn't been any draining going on for quite a while!

I'd done about three-quarters of the job (baling out with a yoghurt pot) by the time I took these:

I'd unearthed numerous nuts and bolts and a spanner before I found something else buried in the mire. I didn't quite recognise what it was until I'd completely extracted it - an SA80 magazine complete with blank rounds! I carefully removed it to the other end of the yard out of harm's way and covered it in water to prevent it drying out again.

Trying to contact Devonport EOD was a complete farce - just answerphones everywhere. I've left a message so perhaps they'll call me back after the weekend .... :cry:

Andy

IMG_1342aw.jpg

IMG_1344aw.jpg

IMG_1339aw.jpg

Today's job with the FV432 was clearing out the foul black gungy mess in the void between the tillers and the front of the hull. Is there supposed to be a drain for this? I can't find one and there obviously hasn't been any draining going on for quite a while!

I'd done about three-quarters of the job (baling out with a yoghurt pot) by the time I took these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32292[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32291[/ATTACH]

I'd unearthed numerous nuts and bolts and a spanner before I found something else buried in the mire. I didn't quite recognise what it was until I'd completely extracted it - an SA80 magazine complete with blank rounds! I carefully removed it to the other end of the yard out of harm's way and covered it in water to prevent it drying out again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32293[/ATTACH]

Trying to contact Devonport EOD was a complete farce - just answerphones everywhere. I've left a message so perhaps they'll call me back after the weekend .... :cry:

Andy

I though only Saracens has this sort of gunk in it.:cool2: No magazines with rounds unfortunately. Somebody must have searched for that magazine high and low and probably tried all the fishing methods in the book!

bevel box muck 2.JPG

By the looks of that magazine and with it having blank rounds in it i would say it has been there a long time as that appears to be a mag from the original SA80 as the mags we use for blanks now are striped yellow and have a special catch on the front to prevent us placing live rounds in them.

By the looks of that magazine and with it having blank rounds in it i would say it has been there a long time as that appears to be a mag from the original SA80 as the mags we use for blanks now are striped yellow and have a special catch on the front to prevent us placing live rounds in them.

At least five years - she was sold by Withams in 2005!

Andy

hi fella's

try looking under the rear floor plates for gulf war souvenir's (made by kalashnikov) :cool2:

eddy

CVRT fuel tanks are popular for that

i found 2 lizards (kotchi's gheckos to be precise) in an armoured car we imported from greece . One died the other day but the other is still going strong after nearly a year and a half living in a vivarium in my garage .

One is called Marmon and the one that died was called herrington(r.i.p) i,ll let you guess what vehicle it was :-D

Other than spent rounds,beer bottle tops and tin openers we havent really found anything else to interesting .

iain

hi fella's

try looking under the rear floor plates for gulf war souvenir's (made by kalashnikov) :cool2:

eddy

I had the traffic police come and give my 43 the once over, he was ex RMP and told me all about the hiding places....must have shufty some day !

I had the traffic police come and give my 43 the once over, he was ex RMP and told me all about the hiding places....must have shufty some day !

I'll get the rear floor plates up once the WD40 has had time to work on the remaining bolts. The cover for the fuel cock has gone AWOL and may well be underneath. In the meantime I've found a perfectly good 7/16" spanner lurking under the ventilation fan!

Andy

As a searched trained person, and knowing of possible Gulf War 'goodies', I searched every nook and cranny of my 432 (02 EE 49) when I bought it in 2005.

I was really hopeful as it had seen service in both the Gulf War and Bosnia with 26 Regt, RA, but all I found was....a (used) TEABAG - hidden behind the external NBC filters!!!! As it took some considerable effort to get to, I'm sure some Gunner was having a laugh with the post Op Granby RMP search teams!! I did find a few Pfenigs under the driver's seat though!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42