Was it just me?

MARTIN CROSS

Hi

I really enjoyed the show (we have attended every one at the Hop Farm) up until Friday, when there were several 'explosions' during the night.

I appreciate that this is to be expected during the day but at 2am.............?

In the old days we knew to sleep at the opposite end to the IUTA (International Understanding Through Alcohol) boys and thus be able to get some rest but explosions cannot be avoided.So thank you, pr*ts!

I left on Saturday.

M

On the Monday morning "Deutschland uber alles" was played through the P.A. at approx 07:00 hrs system from the direction of the arena. Luckily the German re-inactors are known not to be politicaly influenced !!

Ashley

The whole noise issue could be a real problem. I know that the Hop Farm has regular major issues with locals reguarding noise ESPECIALLY Fireworks. Due to this they can only do the usual November stuff and all other fireworks are banned at any other time of year.

Unfortunately that kind of aerial salute that was let off around 4:00am is just the ammo the NIMBYs need to campaign to get W&P banned.

Whilst unlikely, bare mind that a number of pretty large music festivals have recently been stopped due to their licence being with held on exactly these kind of issues (i.e excessive noice and violent attacks)

Here's hoping Kent Police do not feel that way inclined . . . .

But apart from the few excessive bouts of noise and the dust (where was the water - or is extraction limited on a licence too) it was a really great event.

Heres to many more . . .

Just to correct you - I didn't call the local residents NIMBYS ! I specifically stated NIMBY as a term on its own to seperate them from the local residents who are very patient with our antics. I was trying to explain that there are a fair share of those types in that area that are very very vocal (I have had dealings with the hop farm on other events and know the grief they get from a small but very motivated and powerful minority)

I have a few friends that live in Paddock wood who say that most are fine with the whole thing but there are some others about that are itching to get the whole place slapped with a noise ban.

(Oh and yes believ it or not the event will have been subject to an extraction licence from the stream).

Who are NIMBY's (Not in my back yard) if not local residents.:???

I am well aware of the law re extraction licences but who operates the water tanker, The Hop Farm or W+F and who holds the extraction licence if any?

Ok, Ok you got me - sory for my lack of grammar :-D I'll try again with a few more words so the literally minded don't get too confused :shocked: . . . (corrections in italics)

'Just to correct you - I didn't call
all
the local residents NIMBYS ! I specifically stated NIMBY as a term on its own to seperate them from the
other
local residents who are very patient with our antics. I was trying to explain that there are a fair share of those types in that area that are very very vocal (I have had dealings with the hop farm on other events and know the grief they get from a small but very motivated and powerful minority
of local residents
)

I have a few friends that live in Paddock wood who say that most are fine with the whole thing but there are some other
nearby
residents
about that are itching to get the whole place slapped with a noise ban.

(Oh and yes believe it or not the event will have been subject to an extraction licence from the stream
- This is required from your local Environment Agency if you are going to extract more than 20 tonnes per day. I do not know who would need to apply!
).

I hope the above corrected version clears everything up. Sorry again to have confused you by a blatant disregard to the English language rules (I think its the first time I have had a message checked for grammar and punctuation:yawn:)

Don

Hi

I really enjoyed the show (we have attended every one at the Hop Farm) up until Friday, when there were several 'explosions' during the night.

I appreciate that this is to be expected during the day but at 2am.............?

In the old days we knew to sleep at the opposite end to the IUTA (International Understanding Through Alcohol) boys and thus be able to get some rest but explosions cannot be avoided.So thank you, pr*ts!

I left on Saturday.

M

Come on Martin, Get it right. It was 3AM, 3.15AM & 3.30AM! :-D

Seriously though, it was stupid & Selfish to do this at that Event. I can only ASSUME that it was Alcohol Fuel-ed?........

Ear plugs......ear plugs.... earp plugs...ear plugs.... earplugs....:yawn:........:sleep:

OK that's a bit flippant and of no use if you need to hear if your kids wake up, or geting the little ones to use them, but I wouldn't go onto any campsite, showground, hotel or hostpital without them, seagulls, foxes, nurses and yes even kids and pensioners can be a real pain at 3 am as well!

Not the yellow foam type they are only to stop excessive noise but still let you hear for work safety reasons, but the smooth soft closed cell ones that go well into the ear and expand, works for me, I sleep through it all.

Come on Martin, Get it right. It was 3AM, 3.15AM & 3.30AM! :-D

Seriously though, it was stupid & Selfish to do this at that Event. I can only ASSUME that it was Alcohol Fuel-ed?........

Ahhh but they must have had the maroons, reports, thunderflashes, Aerial airbursts or whatever it was with them in the first place. So although alcohol may fuel late impromptue parties or loud singing I don't think it is to blame here - They should not have had any pyrotechnics with them in the first place on site - the rules are very specific about that.

But yep earplugs are often the answer - I have to wear them when I work quite frequently with a pair of 'peltors' as well due to the noise levels. And they block out almost everything.

However apart from the loud bangs early AM I found the Americas field to be very, very quiet at night and quite a little refuge from the beer tent and re-enactors field.

I had a fantastic W&P - best one yet probably in 7 years :)

After 6 nights of camping directly opposite the fun fair I am now word perfect on the PA announcements made by the ride operators and am ready to jump in on the microphone :-D

Wasn't that originally designated as "quiet camping"? I overheard one official say to another that they had redesignated it as "camping".

I was there from Sat 17th until Mon 26th, camped right next to the USO Show. In my opinion the bar was much quieter this year (probably well aware of having a noise abatement order slapped on them!), the USO Show was a delightful way to end the day and I too think it was the best Beltring for a long time.

Snippets from the front:

Bumped into the NLBA on the way down at the Oakdene Cafe (who were expecting a quiet Saturday morning!) on the old A20 at Wrotham. What a really nice bunch of people - no really! - very polite to the staff and very, very funny. I know that Elvis went on to at least 04.00 but I never heard him!

A reported sighting of Rex in the shower block -that's what I call leading by example, especially when you've just left the world's largest motor home!

The US chopper departure on Sunday was as bad as described elsewhere. Well done to Greg and others for organising a list of witnesses so quickly (& quelling the riot!).

The BRAND NEW 432s on Witham's stand - GORGEOUS!!

Whoever set off those HUGE fireworks at 03.00 ish on two nights - T****r!!

Roll on next year!!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03CC 42

Oh yes - those Witham 432's :nut: - They were fantastic. All week I kept trying to think of ways to justify buying one . . . . but by wednesday the other half sorted that decision for me by buying a RB44 instead :) - evidently so she has a 'bit of green too' - lol

I was awaken at around 2 am one night by a damn Vuvuzela (or something like it).

He/she used it a few times at intervals, I wanted to get out of Hotel Renault to ask for it fro prompt insertion in the persons sewage works...:-D

Ah well, who remembers any festival or even camping without noise at night?

I must confess what annoyed me was the sheer thoughtlessness not only towards fellow 'enthusiasts' but also the 'neighbours'.

Obviously there will be noise but this was a bang (or so) too far,

Never in the history of Beltring have so many been p*ssed off by so few!

M