Loyd Carrier

Ah but which Ford Dark Green? The green one, the blue one, the black one, the.....etc.etc. :cool2:

It was much easier when Henry Ford started.

Any colour you like as long as it black.

So he probably needs the black one.

MIke

After completing much of the work in the workshop at home, it was time to make a trip to the farm to finally remove the rear axle, with a view to breaking the chassis down into it's constituent parts. A friend who's Loyd has been modified postwar could do with the engine x-member so I was intending to take the one off the second Loyd, but it proved too difficult as it is upside down at the moment.

As you can see from the photos I managed to split the axle from the chassis clamps and remove the track adjuster arms but it wasn't an easy job. Unlike earlier Loyd Carriers this 1944 version has the larger diameter rear axle with brackets at either end which bolt to the track adjuster arms and a large gusset to strengthen the adjuster arm even more (points to some problems in the field)! The rivet heads were very hard to cut through, I only managed four, the rest will have to wait a while longer.

The two carrier wheels were donated by a local farmer and I found a number (over a dozen) Carrier wheels of various sources at the local timber yard, none are forsale though, they are still in everyday use!

On the third photo down you can see the bracket which is used to hold the track adjuster arm and a little further inboard the circular clamp is a Belgian army postwar mod, they fitted two on the front axle and at least one on the back to aid recovery as in normal wartime spec a Loyd doesn't have any designated recover points. What you can't see in the photo is on the underside of the clamp is a square plate with a hold cut through it for attaching the chains / steel recovery cable.

Trolly3.jpg

ChassisSide.jpg

Axle_Stuffings.jpg

Trolly4.jpg

Trolly2.jpg

RearAxleHub.jpg

Trolly1.jpg

RearAxleOff.jpg

Edited by ajmac

yes i think only alastair would have taken these on as a project and i'm sure that when he's done it will be a very professional job, which just goes to show that nothing is beyond restoration it only needs the right lunatic to come along.:D

eddy

Armed with a clutch of cutting discs I broke the Loyd chassis down into manageable parts and moved them into the workshop. You can see in one of the photos that the tape measure marks the point that the 7V chassis rails are to be sectioned to bring the to Loyd specification when repairing the original Loyd item. There is only the rear axle remaining outside.... oh and a second Loyd! Playing the long game, I have organised to collect two NOS carrier wheels from just outside Dorchester, while I'm at A&E 2012. The farmer was quite happy to pop them out of the way until then ad said he would ask around some of his fellow farmers as he was sure he had seen quite a number around. Should also be picking up some NOS wheels at W&P later this year....just need those bogies now:undecided:

Two photos above the clamps shown are used to hold the rear axle to the chassis, the two rusty pieces on the bench on the second photo down are the rear axle track adjuster arms. Below you can see the chassis as it was last weekend.

19032011121.jpg

19032011122.jpg

19032011128.jpg

19032011120.jpg

19032011118.jpg

19032011125.jpg

RearAxleOff.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

The 7V and twisted Loyd chassis found a new home today....no I haven't thrown in the towel, but a friendly fab shop (thanks Keith)have agreed to repair the original Loyd chassis by using parts from the 7V, he said it could take six months, but hey I can get on with lots more! He reckons that using the forward rails from the 7V as repair sections and one of the x-members the whole assembly should be good as new, but I asked to retain the bullet holes:D Can't wait for it to arrive back at the farm ready to start bolting the reconditioned parts back onto it!

Edited by ajmac

Hi Alastair ,

just wondering if you know what a complete Loyd carrier weighs ? I have been trying to drag one home over here in oz and need a rough idea of weight for the tilt tray operator .

cheers James

Hi Plushy,

Where abouts are you in Oz,We are in W.A. and have just picked up a VERY rusty Loyd,we broke the chassis carting it .There are some technical details on Wiki.and Weights.

Has anyone in Oz got a spare chassis from a Fordson 7v truck to spare?( Not rusty)

Regards,

Bruce.

Glad to hear another Loyd is to be saved. I think the weights are to be taken with a pinch of salt as they are gross rather than unladen. I can't believe a Loyd weighs anything like 4 tones empty.... Mine is going on a weighbridge once rolling to get a correct weight reading.

Have you any photos of your recovery? It would be nice to see them.

That belongs to Paul Visser, he has been helping me out no end with measurments and detail photos of his early Loyd while he was stripping it down. He has made a fantastic job, but it is my fault it is so noisy....I haven't got the new cast exhaust pipes over to him yet! Sorry Paul:blush:

Edited by ajmac

Damn bas£££d stuck pistons in the flathead V8! How long does it all have to sit in pools of plus gas...ahh, even worse, stuck guides, not to worry, I have a special drift and puller winging it's way from a friend in the USA.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally removed all the pistons and crank, three of the pistons had to be drilled through to remove the crown and then broken down through the skirt to relieve the tension and allow them to be driven from the cylinders, what a lot of work. Now the valves... a couple are free and show extensive wear to the guides, a full set of NOS french parts will be fitted if I can get them from the US. They use a modern* style valve and a one piece guide.

*1948 :-)

Edited by ajmac

Don't worry I am not throwing anything out that isn't totally up the creek :D

The engine is stripped down now, once it comes back from the stripping tanks, I will have a bash at removing the valves, then send it back for a final dip in the acid.

I am going to need a regrind on the mains and big ends, by the looks of the scoring, once back from the cleaning I can check the bores and see if I will need to go for a lining session or if I can keep it moderate at say 60 thou.

I almost forgot, my set of recast Loyd exhaust stub pipes arrived on Saturday, they need a tickle with the grinder to turn one of the bolt holes into a slot to match the original that I salvaged from the range, but they look the part. I really am going to have to fire up the camera again.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I am heading towards.

Something went wrong...

I supplied the exhaust stub pipes so that Paul could do the last bits to his Loyd Carrier before this video was shot. Can't wait to get mine out and about in the farmers field....as soon as it is completed:-D Apparently the chassis is coming on well,with the replacement main rails nearly ready to be drilled for the axles.

Engine is stripped and waiting to go to the acid tanks along with the torque tube, axles and various small brackets etc, oh and thanks for that part you let me borrow John, we will be on to the AutoCAD in a coupe of weeks to knock up the file for the plasma cutting rig!

Edited by ajmac

No, although I went on a visit back in the mid 90's. I spoke to Preston about it a few months ago and he sent me the WD number and a little history, Did you manage to take a photo of it? North Devon is long way from Scotland......;) any news yet?

sorry but i'm not one for taking pics, maybe it's time i started. as for scotland well it looks unlikely to happen until the next school holidays but the feelers are out and i reckon another family short break is on the cards, just got to find somewhere dog freindly to stay as i've trained him to sniff out old tank wrecks :D

eddy

• 2 weeks later...

Since the only other castings that I need for the Loyd are the hood stick brackets, I went to visit my Local Loyd barn find as mentioned last year. The owner was nice enough to remove one of each of the bracket types and let me borrow them to make two patterns. While I was at it I took the trusty note pad and tape measure to get some dimensions of the front lower hull plate top angle and the track guard support angles. Also drew up the mods to the standard gearbox gear selector shaft so I can make the mods before the top plate goes back on the rebuilt box.

As you can see the TPC has been modified at the rear, with the engine x-member cut out and moved back, I gave him a spare one in good condition to hot rivet in the correct place....if he ever gets around to making a start restoring the old girl...those were his words!

All thanks to the TPC owner for being such a good sport and supporting my project.

TPC_Loyd_HoodBrackets.jpg

LoydTPC.jpg

Edited by ajmac