Loyd Carrier

This contract was issued to Mr V Loyd himself.

Smashing info Adrian! Perhaps that's why the date plate looks so un-professional:D

Alex, don't worry I didn't think you were....I was just stating my evidence for general info.

Production fo Loyds:

It interests me how the various companies went about manufacturing Loyds, I presume that each company brought in the assemblies to build up a rolling chassis and then fabricated the body themselves. I would doubt that any individual company cast there own wheels and bogies, perhaps they fabricated there own later in the war. I've no idea, I suppose anything could have happened....and we will never know.

Alex van de Wetering

Did you happen to come across any dates on the wheels? It seems they are of the type introduced very late in the war......

Hi Alex

Have you considered the wheels could have been refitted at a later date during a rebuild -the data plates rarely reflect this and the vehicle disposed of from reserve.

Steve

ajmac

.......War Dept number on the data plate stated: CT65563 Which is interesting as I didn't think the Canadians used Loyds.

Can't see why they wouldn't use them -they built them and the loyd replacement the windsor was along time coming, but I doubt the "CT" on the plate is a reference to Canadian usage -painted on the hull yes but having the VIN plate changed seems unlikely and all the stamps are the same anyway. A Canadian ford built Loyd should surely be a No3 like the U/Cs so must be a UK built vehicle.

Managed a little work this evening, just an hour to strip the bolts holding the front axle in place. One axle clamp came appart with ease, the other needs a different socket as it was quite corroded. I managed to remove five of the six diff casing bolts, typically it was one of those hidden under the torque tube which is still giving me grief. I left it all with plenty of Plusgas, will return to finish the job on Wednesday.

I've got to remove one of the brake drums over the next week as it's got to go off to the pattern maker. If anyone can help I could do with a NOS Carrier sprocket to get drawn up on CAD for the laser cutting guys I would be much obliged as the Belgian army really drove these Loyds into the ground.

That is a crappy makers plate isn't it! I would have expected a cast plate as on other British vehicles but perhaps it is an indication of it's builder.

Be easy to replicate though for these restorations :D

Are the sprockets exactly the same as the Bren Carriers? Could you ask the Tank Museum? I mention that as I found a book the other day that was full of drawings of Churchill parts done by the tank museum. I will have a dig around tonght and see if there is any carrier stuff in there. Nothing thus far on Loyds

Be easy to replicate though for these restorations

Ah, it depends who manufactured mine as the other Loyd manufacture data plates I have seen look quite plush. Example below. I haven't asked permission to show this, so I have blacked out the numbers, but you get the idea.

MBWild_DataPlate.jpg

Ah, it depends who manufactured mine as the other Loyd manufacture data plates I have seen look quite plush. Example below. I haven't asked permission to show this, so I have blacked out the numbers, but you get the idea.

I wonder if can get data plates made over here... guess can but no ideas off the top of my head. But definately a big difference, in design

An unplanned couple of hours work at the farm resulted in the removal of the front axle on the main Loyd Carrier. This axle has a damaged diff housing so can't be used, however it needed to come off to enable the torque tube to be removed. I took it home in the Disco which proved fun, it looked much larger in the back than on the floor next to the Loyd! Jenni took a photo of the unloading, but that is still on the camera, can't think what the neighbours thought:D Especially as it is under the bay window at the moment! Not for long, promise jenni:blush:

The photos show the view through a shell hole looking back over the chassis, Finally splitting the axle from the torque tube and the Diff holding bolt holes from inside the hull front plate.

Through Front Plate.jpg

Axle Split.jpg

Diff Bolts.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Nice photos, thanks. The canvas is lacking some of the details of an original but fine none the less. We will have to start on of those lists with all the remaining Loyds detailed. Seems that Holland / Belgium have more than there fair share:D

I have already spoken the the French chap about the service manual, as it turns out I already have a copy from Adrian B, I know this one is original, but the info is the same so it would just be another thing to take care of. HOWEVER during a chat I discovered that he had three UC road wheels in his shed. After some photos were sent I have agreed to buy all three, well two actually as he gave me the Loyd one (round holes, common to both UC / Loyd but more commonly seen in period photos on Loyds) for free!

Road Wheels Status:

2 Off - Original Wrecks

2 Off - Local Farmer

3 Off - France

So I only need one more.....

Edited by ajmac

Now those photos are food. I now know exactly what you are rebuilding right down to the oil leak in the last pidture.

You sure have got your work cut out there.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the progress.

Mike

PS: If you need an oil leak I have a Series Land Rover so you can have one of mine if you like as I have a few spare.

There is something wrong with the Loyd in the photos, couldn't put my finger on it at first..... the rear bogies are on back to front, the springs should be facing the sprockets. Wouldn't think it makes any difference in the ride, but not correct.

There is something wrong with the Loyd in the photos, couldn't put my finger on it at first..... the rear bogies are on back to front, the springs should be facing the sprockets

Wow, well spotted. I didn't realise they were back to front.

Good job on getting a number of wheels already. You do occasionally find them here in Holland used on farm carts or even carts used by steel construction companies.....you wonder what the farmers did with the tracks....

Alex

Now where have seen this Loyd before............?

Of course ! I do belive that it was mine. It was sold to Ron Truscott and then it went to

Holland or Belgium in the early 1990's

Bob, well that's a coincidence! I don't know who currently owns it as there was nobody around to ask. But, I have a feeling it might be from the For Freedom museum in Knokke-Heist (Belgium), as there was a Standard jeep/buggy/quad thinghy standing next to it, and I believe that came from the museum.

Alex

Nothing too interesting here. Removed one halfshaft which is in perfect condition, the hub came off easly, however an impact on the rear has damaged the bearing housing. Thus it is scrap, I will just recover the brake drum studs. I found the 1943 data on the bit of drum that was still attached to the hub, also the taper roller bearing has 4-3 on it as well as the part number, I'm not sure what that means.... it would be nice if it was a date, but I doubt it. It's a 462 Timken unit which are available and not that expensive.

Halfshaft_removed.jpg

I brought a 1947 Ford Thames manual yesterday as I suspected that there would be some Loyd compatability. Below you can see a Thames with the loyd mods shown in red. The other photo is a Dagenham Flathead in mid war spec, note the Lucas distributor and twin belts. No1 Loyds would have used an identical power unit.

ThamesChassisLoyd.jpg

BritishFlatheadV8.jpg

Edited by ajmac

Attached are three photos taken today. They show the diff taken from the front axle of the Loyd, you will note the 1943 date, which correlates with the date from the brake drum. Interestingly the diff housing was fastened with 5/8" ANF bolts rather than BSF or BSW, I don't know if this points towards a reworked US axle on the Loyd (as mentioned in some books) or if Ford UK used ANF fasteners. All bearings taken from the axle so far are made in England so that points towards the latter.

Oh, the diff is in great condition, no marks and little wear, however four pieces of shrapnel dropped out of the casing when it was separated.

DiffOpen.jpg

Diff.jpg

Diff_Close.jpg