Leyland DAF Vs Bedford MJ

robin craig

Got to be the more modern Leyland Daf for parts and maintainability.

You can tilt the cab for a start so access to the engine is far easier. In an MJ it's strip the cab down to remove panels for access or in extremes lift the cab clean off.

For parts too the Cummins engined Leyland Daf is far easier to get spares for. The Cummins engine is used in multiple applications worldwide.

There's more room in the cab of the Daf's too with three of four seats as opposed to the two of the MJ.

Only trouble with the Leyland Daf is it looks just like a lot of ordinary civilian trucks on the road.

Have to disagree!!

Bedford MJ everytime..bullet proof!! Classic styling, easy to maintain and they go anywhere!!

Leyland Daf..wimpy looking..plasticy switches and trim and definately not squaddie proof!!

I agree a MJ is the way to go, MK looks the same but has a mult fuel engine but slow DAFs has above would not touch one.

I also have to go with the MJ. It might not be the best truck to work on and the DAF is easier of the two to drive and work on, but the Bedfords are bomb proof and rarely go wrong. Our unit had a good selection of both and it was always the Bedfords that went out and the Dafs that stayed behind. Hence the reason why so many Bedfords are still in service, indeed why they deemed it necessary to put them through a life extension programme. They might be slow, hard to get at the engine and simple, but they will get you to your destination eventually.:D

The little DAF is an excellent vehicle and a worthy companion to the MK/MJ. I don't understand why more of us don't have them. They are great to drive and as good as the 330 is, the Cummins 6bt is better in my opinion.Admittedly it looks a little modern but in 20 years time maybe we will all accept and indeed love it?:-)

It is just as I suspected, the DAF is the unloved one of the two and will likely evaporate into obscurity in 20 years time while we will see scads of MJs forever.

I wish our MJs had a tilting cab, I have often wondered how hard it would be to retrofit a kit to make that happen.

R

I wish our MJs had a tilting cab, I have often wondered how hard it would be to retrofit a kit to make that happen.

R

Mine have :-) (well it is a TL cab - the same thing really). Mind you it sits 1" higher and 1" forward to clear the Cummins 6B :D I know, "best of both worlds" says it all.

No kit available, and not as easy as I first imagined (but it was too late by then :sweat:). I had to graft on the front crossmamber of a TL chassis and make up rear cab mount brackets. One has a hydraulic tip, the other uses torsion bar tipping.

Don't even bother going there unless you have a rust free cab!

Interesting about MJs being preferred over the Leyland Dafs by the guys in green.

• 2 months later...

I have had both and would go for a daf gs anyday,

cummins v bedford daf1

5speed v box 4 speed daf2

tilt cab v fixed cam daf3

permenant 4wd v rear selactable 4wd daf4

pas v non pas daf5

Price value??? daf6

looks bedford1

daf faults front tow hitch on a daf is very far back makes it hard to push things with a stright bar as you damage bumpers. as far as bedfords bomb proof em,,, my friend has a mk, first problem was a front oil seal turns out the crank had been damaged took lots of work to sort, it also had water pump, alt ,starter ,transferbox .front prop .fuel pump. it a mint truck not many better but was made on a friday. I gave the daf death worked it hard, old bedfords are not in the same league, The test is drive either 100 mile see how you are??? i bet the daf drive will be quieter faster same easier to drive with pas. As far as what is better its the daf. A bedford is a classic army truck but old.

I have had both and would go for a daf gs anyday,

cummins v bedford daf1

5speed v box 4 speed daf2

tilt cab v fixed cam daf3

permenant 4wd v rear selactable 4wd daf4

pas v non pas daf5

Price value??? daf6

looks bedford1

daf faults front tow hitch on a daf is very far back makes it hard to push things with a stright bar as you damage bumpers. as far as bedfords bomb proof em,,, my friend has a mk, first problem was a front oil seal turns out the crank had been damaged took lots of work to sort, it also had water pump, alt ,starter ,transferbox .front prop .fuel pump. it a mint truck not many better but was made on a friday. I gave the daf death worked it hard, old bedfords are not in the same league, The test is drive either 100 mile see how you are??? i bet the daf drive will be quieter faster same easier to drive with pas. As far as what is better its the daf. A bedford is a classic army truck but old.

Would a DAf be in the 7.5 group so it could be driven on a car licence if have that group on your licence, I see on withams they say it is 6500kg? If not what will be need to down rate it? I now whats need for a MJ ?

Big Al

i'm looking at buying a bedford with a crane to move the universal carrier to shows and i'll also be using it for my biulding work. having worked on daf's and bedfords i decided to go for the bedford as they never break down and have little to go wrong i can also run it on contaminated fuel from my mates garage so it will cost nothing to run but don't get me wrong i still think the daf represents real value for money i don't think you can go far wrong with either vehicle and don't forget the 8 ton tm. it's a lot of truck for the money

eddy

i'm looking at buying a bedford with a crane to move the universal carrier to shows and i'll also be using it for my biulding work. having worked on daf's and bedfords i decided to go for the bedford as they never break down and have little to go wrong i can also run it on contaminated fuel from my mates garage so it will cost nothing to run but don't get me wrong i still think the daf represents real value for money i don't think you can go far wrong with either vehicle and don't forget the 8 ton tm. it's a lot of truck for the money

eddy

You'll need an MK rather than MJ if you want the multifuel engine.

In reply to Big Als question, yes a Leyland Daf can be down rated to 7.5 tonnes GVW, Withams have the weight wrong on their website they actually weigh 5.2 tonnes, I have just had my Leyland Daf down rated & now have a comms body on it. P.M. me and I will give you more info

From what i have seen in my army service the MJ would win hands down, if your planning on going off road an MJ with N.D.T will go just about any where, as for the DAF they have always had the reputation for being alittle more road bassed shall we say. even now as the SV flet roll in i know alot of serving personel from VM's to drivers that would pick an MJ for there choice in vehicles.

My brother was involved in trialling the Leyland Dafs at Catterick in 1991 for some obscure reason his was painted blue! They were given insstructions to try and break them but failed. they were followed by a Bedford MJ with winch to act as a recovery vehicle, this was not needed and in fact the Bedford got stuck itself when going back to camp for essential supplies (tea) and was pulled out by one of the Leyland Dafs!

From what i have seen in my army service the MJ would win hands down, if your planning on going off road an MJ with N.D.T will go just about any where, as for the DAF they have always had the reputation for being alittle more road bassed shall we say. even now as the SV flet roll in i know alot of serving personel from VM's to drivers that would pick an MJ for there choice in vehicles.

Not this one old bean, give me an SV anyday, awesome wagon comfortable, easy to drive and a BV that never gets cold. winner.:-D

eddy8man

Please dont do it ......!! a MK is so slow and underpowers as it but with a crane and to move the universal carrier ,,,,, this may be overweight on a mj with a crane as there only 10 ton truck,,, 4 tonner gives it away... i belive the dafs are 11 ton gross if required so can carry more. I think the early ones were 10 ton the later 11 ton gross in dafs, But back to the MK go to Holland no hills there so when you get it going you will be ok,,, lv to see it go up the big hill on the m40 near j6, i WENT UP IN MY LOWLOADER WITH THE T55 ON 6MPH... I bet i would over take you. And if you are running on contam lol pmpl rofl..... is there a place that is just down hill??????? I am not saying speed speed speed but so slow is not safe nower days. 45mph is about there lot 50 killing it a daf will do 62mph flatout at just over 50 comfatable... If i were so bold i would go for a bedford myself to carry the the universal carrier .But it would be a TM,,,,,,, POWER HOUSE,,, 8 tonner with crane ,500 engine huge power hills no problem do 75mph if you dare 55mph comfatable with fully loaded. TM way forward,,,,!! SO YES BEDFORD OVER DAF,,,,,,,,,,if its a TM for that sort of load

In reply to Big Als question, yes a Leyland Daf can be down rated to 7.5 tonnes GVW, Withams have the weight wrong on their website they actually weigh 5.2 tonnes, I have just had my Leyland Daf down rated & now have a comms body on it. P.M. me and I will give you more info

John,

How have you managed to downrate your DAF with a comms body? I ask because my Bedford MJ has a Radar Repair body that's more or less the same as a comms body and the truck weighs 7.9 tonnes and that's without the 12x12 tent, poles, bench seats and tables etc. I presume you have absolutely nothing in the box, just the shell, and even then I reckon you'll be tipping the scales as overweight.

this is good stuff, I am on my way to buying a DAF and a TM...but the TM I mam getting is the 6 x 6, not the 4 x 4....I want a daf because of the cummins engine, totally unbeatable engine and its modernity, the TM because they are good trucks, and very underrated...but what compete dogs when compared to the trucks they have in Europe, the MAN range of trucks are brilliant and are like modern trucks, even the ones built in the 70's...guess thats why we have at last decided to buy a few for our army boys...crazy how we are so far behind the world these days...

the thing with modern army trucks is they have too much to go wrong with them, you need things to be simple when you're in the middle of the sticks with few spares or facilities, trust me i've been there but then again i'm not going to war in it i just want something to get me around and what sold me on the mk was the multifuel engine, the thought of as much free contaminated fuel as i could ever want is not unappealing i can also get hold of plenty of free jet fuel i don't know if it's any better than deisel petrol mix but it's another option. the other thing it has going for it is it's simplicity and reliability and it does look the part.

having said all that, the daf is a better truck on the road and the TM is a big beast with more load capacity so the jury is still out on which wagon to get.

as for the mk's speed, i had to drive an mk with a mashy wagon body towing a 16/24 genny for 3 weeks on ex iron hammer in 89, i swear i could have got out and walked quicker on the hills but it got there eventually:D and it annoyed the germans which was an added bonus

eddy