New toy (Ferret)

Grasshopper

Went and picked up my Ferret last night. All went without a hitch apart from one of the front recovery points had broken so we couldn't A-frame it to where the lorry was parked. Fortunately we had taken a straight bar too so I steered it (on tow behind a friends chevy blazer) a couple of miles to the transport. This was made all the more fun by the flat front tyre with a flat spot on the run flat which made it bounce like a good-un!

It also came with a spare engine and 2 new bins (still crated) and is about 95% complete. I have a trailer full of parts to identify now!

Image003.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image004.jpg

Image015.jpg

Stick it in my garage and forget about it! I need to get the Scorpion done first, but i may pick at this project as it will be in my garage at home. Need to concentrate efforts on one restoration or i will never finish anything. Also still doing up my new house as well as maintaining the rest of the fleet...

Vehicle now installed in garage where I will take bits off it occasionally and think "one day....".

Very pleased we got it in with one shunt, the steering lock really is rather good. Discovered one of the track rods is bent so will have to get a new one from somewhere. I will start collecting parts for it as finances and opportunity dictate.

Image037.jpg

IMG00334.jpg

It's had 2 owners since disposal. The first owner didn't do much to it but did get the history for it, the 2nd owner did start doing some work and collecting parts. He then lost his garage when he had to move so work stopped.

It's very complete (although disassembled) and I have a trailer full of parts back at Mikes place including a spare engine. The one in the vehicle is seized through lack of use. I don't envisage it being a difficult restoration. I'm used to much bigger projects!

I do need a to acquire/build the centre bin and I have hopefully sourced a spare tyre which is also missing. Also discovered it has a bent track rod on one side.

• 2 weeks later...

Been sorting through some of the bits that came with the Ferret, and it seems that the proverbial "semi-oscillating wooden equine toy" has been defecating in my direction! It came with 2 brand new bins (still crated) and a brand new silencer(!) and exhaust shield.

Have also begun some preparatory dismantling. Arrival of another new toy means that has to take priority as it is a runner...

Image016.jpg

Image017.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

Been sorting through some of the bits that came with the Ferret, and it seems that the proverbial "semi-oscillating wooden equine toy" has been defecating in my direction! It came with 2 brand new bins (still crated) and a brand new silencer(!) and exhaust shield.

Have also begun some preparatory dismantling. Arrival of another new toy means that has to take priority as it is a runner...

I bet those goodies brought a satisfied smile to your face mate ! Well done ! :D

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

An old thread, but I am contemplating selling this vehicle, so this post is is just to gauge interest. Unfortunately due to other projects and commitments (not least parenthood!), no restorative work has been carried out on it since acquisition.

I have been obtaining additional parts for it, and it now has a spare wheel, brake servo, center bin (and one other corner bin, can't remember which). In total it has 9 bins with it, at least 2x NOS (one still crated) and some requiring serious repair but enough to make a good full set. The wheel arches bar 1 (L/H rear/rear lower edge a bit rusty) are all good. Also purchased a NOS drivers seat and numerous other odds and sods. If interested, PM me.

Vince

thats a very nice project. The parts look great. I would encourage anyone to give a ferret a go, and this one looks like a good simple project.

Good luck with who ever buys it. If you need any advice in putting it back together, let me know. More than willing to help from here.

Regards, Tim

• 3 months later...

Just to close a thread, this vehicle has recently been sold to a fellow forum member. I wish him luck with it; when we removed it from my garage, I saw once again that it is eminently restorable, and more importantly quite complete vehicle (albeit in bits!). Realistically it wouldn't have received any attention from me for a few years yet. However, it has now been replaced with a new toy, and one which runs, drives and doesn't require restoring. Pictures to follow in due course!

I do also have the luxury of another (working but not quite road ready), turreted Ferret to play with too, more on that in a new thread (eventually).

Vince

Photo0569.jpg

Hi Vince, yes the ferret got home safe and sound. I have started to free off various bit & pieces. The oil cooler has come up great after taking it on holiday with me. (Still on the hols.) Will be uploading some pic's soon. I have started to remove all the internal bits and bobs so I can give the inside a good going over. I'm bit impatient and just want to get in and start it up & away but that's a long way off as I want to do the job properly. No doubt I shall be on here asking for advice from you all soon, mainly to do with the wiring, looks like my worst nightmare. Having been a mechanic many years ago, I was brought up on the old plugs & points so the engine side of things will be a doddle. Watch this space, the sage continues of 33BA93 hull No. 118