Google earth scammells and matadors

rog8811

I was cruising over middle England on google earth and I happened upon a cache of scammells and matadors plus a smattering of land rovers tractors and goodness knows what else.

sr = Scammell wrecker

M = matador

st = Scammell tank trans??

sa = scammell artic

101 = land rover 101

I will not give any info on where I found them, what I will say is I would love to get an invite to wander around the collection.

Regards rog8811

scams and mats.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rog8811,

I never even thought of looking at the scrapyard with google.

Here is a Google Earth view of it.

I have probably seen only a third of it!

This is also where those bonneted trucks (Israeli Commandcars) are as well as the Scammell Pioneer, Saracens, Bedfords, Magirus Deutzs, Marmon Herringtons, Dodges, etc are.

Cheers,

Monty.

Slide1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was cruising over middle England on google earth and I happened upon a cache of scammells and matadors plus a smattering of land rovers tractors and goodness knows what else.

sr = Scammell wrecker

M = matador

st = Scammell tank trans??

sa = scammell artic

101 = land rover 101

I will not give any info on where I found them, what I will say is I would love to get an invite to wander around the collection.

Regards rog8811

The owner of these vehicles lives in a fantasy world of his own with some very strange ideas on vehicle restoration, the Scammell artic was bought by him in immaculate condition it was delivered to his yard then driven across a waterlogged field until it got stuck that was 8 years ago and it still stands in it same spot :nut:. A matador was bought in very good restored condition on driving into the site it slipped off the road onto its side into the hedge it also still lives in this position after 7 years !:cry: i could air my views about owner but will not do so as jack would ban me for life

The owner of these vehicles lives in a fantasy world of his own with some very strange ideas on vehicle restoration

That is something I didn't want to hear :(

How long before they are all beyond economical restoration? Such a shame, I would give any one of them a loving home :cry:

Regards rog8811

Hi Rog8811. Nicked you idea. I googled what used to be a scrap years ago. Near Carlisle. There used to be all sorts of Cars. Trucks. Fire Engines. Ex Army stuff in here. It must be 25+ years since i was there.

It looks as if it now workshops. But parked at the gates are these.

Thought you may be interested in these. I dont know who owns the workshops. The pleace is called Grinsdale Bridge. Near Carlisle.

Does any one know how old these google maps are?

Cheers.

Bill.

Old Trucks Grinsdale Bridge.JPG

Nice one Bill, I always look from the nearest road as well, the interesting stuff is so often behind the hedge or gate :embarrassed:

Not military but I did find this which made me laugh..... found in the peaks somewhere so a long way from Peckham :D

Regards rog8811

traotter regal.jpg

Hi Rog8811.

The pics of the Old Army trucks i posted are some where else on this site, but cant find them now. The guy who posted them was from Cumbria.

Some years ago there was a Trotters Reliant Van a Private collection in Keswick.

Cheers Bill.

Hi Rog8811. Nicked you idea. I googled what used to be a scrap years ago. Near Carlisle. There used to be all sorts of Cars. Trucks. Fire Engines. Ex Army stuff in here. It must be 25+ years since i was there.

It looks as if it now workshops. But parked at the gates are these. [ATTACH=CONFIG]31695[/ATTACH]

Thought you may be interested in these. I dont know who owns the workshops. The pleace is called Grinsdale Bridge. Near Carlisle.

Cheers.

Bill.

Are these Leyland Martians?

Just noticed this

In Bills post.

At the top of GE there is a clock icon, click that and a new slider appears, you can adjust the map age with that...it will display date photo was taken (the Huntingdon lancaster disappeared from view some years ago, but the slider brings it back :) ).

There is no choice with the road photo's as there are only the one set.

Regards rog8811

date of view.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just noticed this

In Bills post.

At the top of GE there is a clock icon, click that and a new slider appears, you can adjust the map age with that...it will display date photo was taken (the Huntingdon lancaster disappeared from view some years ago, but the slider brings it back :) ).

There is no choice with the road photo's as there are only the one set.

Regards rog8811

Never say you can't teach on old dog new tricks! Thanks for this!!