can i tow my carrier with a plant trailer

eddy8men

hi fella's

the time to get the carrier from southampton is fast approaching and i'm thinking of how to transport it back to manchester. the carrier is rated at 3 ton 5cwt (3000kg) unladen and mine also has parts missing so i would estimate another 400kg to be deducted from that, if i use my friends plant trailer which is rated at 3.5t and tow it with my van or a vw touareg is this legal.

cheers eddy

Should be just about O.K. most plant trailers will come in at just under 1000kg on their own. So assuming you haven't got too many spares on the carrier and trailer it should be just under 3500kg gross.

Not sure many vans will legally tow 3500kg usually requires a 4x4 and not many of them are upto the full 3500kg. Land Rovers and Toerags being the exception.

hi alan

nothing as yet, although i got an answerphone message today from the sellers shipping agent in the states with regard to the uk agents email so i'll get in touch tomorrow and see what comes about, i'll let you know how i get on

cheers eddy

Hi Eddy, Southampton has no on terminal unloading arrangements, we had to arrange an unloading agent to bring it out the docks and unload it at there container handling facility. Is your Carrier free rolling?, I suspect not. I suggest you collect it with a flatbed with crane. Firstly the facility we used only had a ramp they could offer up to the back of a container, (which will be on the back of a lorry), try stopping a free rolling carrier down an incline with no brakes with a forklist only to stop it. We had a flatbed level upto the back of the container and were able to drag the carrier out with the attached crane. Dont do it on the cheap or your in trouble. I know someone who collected my carrier and can do the job, I will dig out the name of the agent used in Southampton and suspect John will have arranged the same, I know we had to get some import duty paid paperwork in place before the carrier was released. This was hassle too as the agent quoted an obsolete form with a long since departed tax office address which we sent it too. Let me have your private e-mail and I will find the form numbers you need and were and what to send.

Frankly I can not agree more with Kevin's comments.

Cheap = Unsafe.

Over 'ere we have laws that are onerous and well enforced about trailers and weights. Too much weight on a trailer for a small vehicle and the tail starts wagging the dog.

What about stopping power also?

I carry a Carrier for a friend locally quite often every year and know that cross chaining works wonders and keeps them in line and on the spot on our trailer.

Trailering is an art form and an acquired skill best practiced from the drivers seat and not the living room armchair IMHO.

R

thanks for the reply robin

cheap = money in my pocket, where it belongs

i know what you're saying about weights but i believe the carrier in it's present condition ie stripped will be within the vw touaregs gtw.

as for armchair trailering, i've towed everything from a motorbike to a t-55 and then some.

there's another reason to go to southampton it's a great opportunity to visit the iow tank museum and find out where some of the range wrecks ended up. might be my only chance for a while.

eddy

• 2 weeks later...

Eddy

Be careful. No you cannot tow a carrier on a trailer behind a van. Its to heavy, you won't stop., and the GTW means the van must have a tacho. As this is new plod are hot on it, and will pull every van they see towing at the moment.

Barry

London,

MKII owner.

i'm off to get married in corfu so i won't be able to reply for a couple of weeks

thanks for your comments and ideas

eddy

Edited by carrier barry

Eddy ... the GTW means the van must have a tacho. As this is new plod are hot on it, and will pull every van they see towing at the moment.

I don't think this is correct, Barry; my understanding is there's still an exemption for combinations under 7.5 tonnes not used commercially.

... Its to heavy, you won't stop ...

I'd agree with this, though!

If the carriers just over 3.5t + Heavy duty trailer 2t + pulling vehicle( able to stop 6tons) = your going to be very close.

Is it worth the risk?

I have shipped my carrier around on a 7.5t truck, no techo for many years. Next week we are going down to the armour and embarkation event.

But before we go my mate whos driving it down whats to go on the local weight bridge. So I'll tell you the answer's next week.

Barry

How were carriers transported during the war? I've a photo of a carrier in 1994 on a home made HD trailer being pulled by a wartime GMC 6x6 (sorry for my softskin knowledge:-). Would that be a possibility today?

How were carriers transported during the war? I've a photo of a carrier in 1994 on a home made HD trailer being pulled by a wartime GMC 6x6 (sorry for my softskin knowledge:-). Would that be a possibility today?

Not unless the jimmy had been tested, if the exemption from T&T is being claimed the truck has to be unladen and can only tow an unladen trailer.

Not really. During the war, the trailer used was the 7 1/2 ton light recovery pulled by a recovery tractor such as a Scammell Pioneer.

Today the trailer would need to have an MOT as would the towing vehicle. There is no provision for braking a trailer on a GMC other than electric brakes. I too have seen it done but it is a road to trouble!

Put the carrier on the back of the GMC. Problem solved. :-D

Not in Blighty unfortunately! When I was being told in NZ how lucky we were here to not need a WoF and hub odometers on GMCs, I pointed out the restrictions we operated under.

I suppose for most peoples uses, we are lucky!

You only need a WOF if you get caught driving without one :-D As for transporting this carrier, my friend uses a sliding bed truck. I would reccommend hiring one (if you have the right liscence) and picking it up yourself. Remember to put the carrier onto some old tyres if the truck bed is metal, to stop the carrier sliding around. The English/canadian carriers weigh about 3500kg all up if memory serves correct.

hi fella's

back from corfu now, no mv's seen over there but i did come back with a mk 1 wife (late production model requiring only minor cosmetic restoration) :D

still not made my mind up whether to tow or put it on a flatbed, if i could get hold of a flatbed that would be the best solution but i don't know where to start looking is it possible to hire one, i have the my c+e so license not a problem. anyone got any idea's.

cheers eddy

• 2 weeks later...

thanks john

i'm picking up a plant trailer up from fletchers trailers in ashton this afternoon and i'm setting off for southampton in the morning, the trailer is 700kg and i reckon the carrier is 2500kg so i should be within the weight limit, i'll just have to suck it and see.

incidentally the trailer guy has 2 diamond t's in his yard, both are very tatty but look to be structurally sound so i asked if they were for sale, he came back to me the next day and said he was looking for £8.5k each, he wouldn't budge so it looks like they'll sit there til he dies and then get scrapped, what a waste !!!

cheers eddy