can i tow my carrier with a plant trailer

eddy8men

Eddy,

Best of luck on your trip to pick up the carrier. For what its worth, I pull my mk I* universal carrier with a Diesel Ford F-350. It has a 6.4L V8 Diesel rated at 350 hp and 650 lb-ft torque. The truck is rated for max towing weight of 15700 LBS. The trailer is rated for 14,000 LBS, its fitted with electric brakes.

Load is cross chained front and rear using grade 70 chain.

I can tell you when I have the carrier loaded and I'm buzzing down the highway at 100km/h I know its behind me.

I could not imagine doing that trip using a Touareg as a tow vehicle. :shocked:

05.08.2010 001.jpg

Edited by mkVsten

Toureg is one hell of a towing wagon. Demo was for the thing to tow a combine. The important thing is make sure it stops!

Also which Toureg, Petrol or diesel could it be the V10 !

The V10 will surely have the pulling power.

right then fella's i'm down here in southampton in my van not the vw toerag. the trailer is rated at 2.75t gross not the 3.5t that i wanted so i was a little worried that i might be pushing it a bit with regard to the max load but by that time i was comitted so i thought sod it. (it'll be reet) i stopped off to look at the carrier (not picking it up until tomorrow) and thankfully the seller had removed the tracks and rolled them up inside, so the carrier can free wheel but better than that i can put the tracks in the van which will bring the trailer weight down by a ton which puts my mind at ease and means i'll definately be legal.

as for the carrier it looked great and the seller had chucked some freebies in as well. all in all a good day.

thanks for all your advice i'll get some pics up on saturday.

eddy

Hi Eddy, Glad the carrier is nearly home, Carriers can still be a pain to move even with the tracks off, If you have a wheel like I did with half the rubber missing, it will act as a brake when that wheel bottoms out, if it does try and knock the rest of the rubber off to make it round or remove the wheel altogether, pin should knock through with the nut removed, also with the tracks off check the springs sit up to the stops, if they dont they could be seized, but saying that with the rear axle still on your carrier they may sit lower. Also when you remove the rear axle the carrier will sit forward and roll on the two central bogie wheels only, with the rear trailer bogies off the ground. All good fun, cant wait for the pics, good luck.

kevin.

thanks kevin

i'm glad you posted the reply as a couple of the wheels have got some big chunks of rubber missing from them but i'm hoping the guys down here in the storage yard will give me a lift rolling it on the trailer with the stacker truck. it's funny but when i got to southampton this afternoon the bloke at the yard said "so you're the fella with the lump of rust" maybe he wasn't far wrong but as carriers go it's in good condition, the seller even chucked some spare engine panels in for good measure (nice to get a freebie).

just looking forward to starting the restoration now, should have it going in a couple of months as long as the axles not goosed.

all the best

eddy

How were carriers transported during the war? I've a photo of a carrier in 1994 on a home made HD trailer being pulled by a wartime GMC 6x6 (sorry for my softskin knowledge:-). Would that be a possibility today?

Hi Alistair. This will have little to do with modern law, but the 2 1/2 ton 6x6 GMC's load rating, was an "OFF road" (cross country) rating. On road, they were 5 tonners, so like Alex said, put the carrier on the back, which is what the N.Z. army did.

We tend to compare these vehicles with modern vehicles, and expect them to perform the same. Back in the 40's, going down hill, in a truck with a good load was taken very slowly, relying much on low gears, and engine braking, because the size of the brakes was too small to do the job otherwise.

I remember when an RL wrecker ran away with a suspended tow. The brakes were burned to hell before thay faded out. fortunately for the driver he was able to ride it out. Historically, I would guess, lot of blokes have died.

hi fella's

just to let you know the carrier towed beautifully for 250 miles and was probably under 2ton i put the centre of the carrier over the middle of the axles and it balanced really well but if you're thinking of doing the same just remember there was no engine, box or rad on mine and the tracks were in the van, it will be interesting to see if the carrier when complete will be legal to tow on a 3.5t trailer i think it will.

eddy