Hello From Hiawassee, Georgia USA

glcaines

I just joined HMVF. I find it very interesting to see what is happening with Military Vehicles in other countries. I am currently restoring a 1969 M35A2 truck. Today I started the task of installing a cab reinforcement plate. I have an M66 Gun Ring set up for a Browning M2 .50 cal. machine gun that I'm going to mount on the truck and a cab reinforcement plate is required due to the weight. My current MV collection includes:

1969 M35A2 W/Winch

1968 M105A2 trailer

1992 M116A2 trailer with mounted MEP-003A 10 KW generator

30D36R 3KW portable diesel generator

Aside from MVs, my interests include shooting and flying my Cessna 152.

Welcome glcaines! I'm sure you'll fit in fine here, we're all a little mad but don't let that put you off!

My step-father is from Albany GA, though currently living in Jackson MS.

I've a lot of fond memories of the C152, did most of my ppl training in them. Currently flying a Vans RV9.

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome glcaines to the Friendliest forum on the net , What kind of shooting ? skeet or target or ?

I'm not very good at skeet. I like to target shoot. I travel quite a bit in my job and I try to take some guns with me if there is a local match. I've never competed in the UK, but I have in Finland and Germany in the past. I compete in the following areas, but pistol competition is my favorite.

Bullseye pistol - I mostly shoot an M1911A1 .45 automatic

Highpower rifle - Springfield Armory M1A1, M1 Garand, AR15A1 HB

Muzzleloading pistol - Various custom pistols, Original 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading rifle - Various custom rifles

Musket - Parker Hale 3-band musket, Springfield 1863

I'm not very good at skeet. I like to target shoot. I travel quite a bit in my job and I try to take some guns with me if there is a local match. I've never competed in the UK, but I have in Finland and Germany in the past. I compete in the following areas, but pistol competition is my favorite.

Bullseye pistol - I mostly shoot an M1911A1 .45 automatic

Highpower rifle - Springfield Armory M1A1, M1 Garand, AR15A1 HB

Muzzleloading pistol - Various custom pistols, Original 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading rifle - Various custom rifles

Musket - Parker Hale 3-band musket, Springfield 1863

Hi there, and welcome.

This pisses me off no end because I live on an island where respectable responsible people are not allowed to keep firearms so the only groups in posession of them are the crooks and the coppers and in all likelyhood you have more chance of been shot by the latter team...

:-)

Welcome to the forum my man.

Yes, it must be great living in the land of the free!!! Certainly isn't a free country here I can tell you.

No country is perfect, but there are a lot worse places than the UK. I find the people to be some of the friendliest anywhere, and I travel substantially.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I used to be a re-enactor with the 55th Virginia. Loved my Parker hale 2 band Enfield. Gave up the hobby, reveille at 5.30 in the morning for drill and kit inspection got a bit much! It's my age you know.

Is your .50cal still live fire? Just picked up a old spec. M2HB de-act myself. Hope to see pics when yours mounted.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I used to be a re-enactor with the 55th Virginia. Loved my Parker hale 2 band Enfield. Gave up the hobby, reveille at 5.30 in the morning for drill and kit inspection got a bit much! It's my age you know.

Is your .50cal still live fire? Just picked up a old spec. M2HB de-act myself. Hope to see pics when yours mounted.

I love my Parker Hale,.58 cal. It's extremely accurate. However, the 2 band like yours is supposed to be the most accurate. Apparently the barrel heats up and the three band musket stock doesn't allow the barrel to float as much. Do you still have yours? I have never been involved with reenactment, I simply compete in matches.

I don't have my M2 yet, only the M66 gun ring. I plan on acquiring an active M2 in the next few months, but the cost is fairly high and I'm looking for a good deal.

I love my Parker Hale,.58 cal. It's extremely accurate. However, the 2 band like yours is supposed to be the most accurate. Apparently the barrel heats up and the three band musket stock doesn't allow the barrel to float as much. Do you still have yours? I have never been involved with reenactment, I simply compete in matches.

I don't have my M2 yet, only the M66 gun ring. I plan on acquiring an active M2 in the next few months, but the cost is fairly high and I'm looking for a good deal.

Hi, I do still have my musket, allthough I can not use it. In this country you need a explosive licence as well to hold and use black powder, was not worth the problems with storage/regs. etc.

Yes, it did get very hot, during large battles. Sure was somthing when in the front firing line with 100plus in the volly.

Good luck with the 50 hunt. Andy.

Dear (I presume Mr) GL Caines,

A very peachy welcome to you from your distant cousins to the north in Canada!

I know us folks here in Canada have some quaint customs but can you explain "my interests include shooting and flying my Cessna 152"? Isnt that kind of jeopardising your ride?:iloveyou:

Once again welcome from one of the smart alecs!

Robin

In this country you need a explosive licence as well to hold and use black powder, was not worth the problems with storage/regs. etc.

Is the requirement for an explosive license the same if you use a black powder substitute, such as pyrodex, et al?

Dear (I presume Mr) GL Caines,

A very peachy welcome to you from your distant cousins to the north in Canada!

I know us folks here in Canada have some quaint customs but can you explain "my interests include shooting and flying my Cessna 152"? Isnt that kind of jeopardising your ride?:iloveyou:

Once again welcome from one of the smart alecs!

Robin

I try not to fly and shoot at the same time!

Where in Canada are you located? I have traveled extensively throughout Canada for many years, as part of my job is to visit pulp and paper mills. You live in a beautiful country.

Is the requirement for an explosive license the same if you use a black powder substitute, such as pyrodex, et al?
Hi Gary, not sure on that one. But the musket being proofed for black powder we all stick to it. We are O.K. to shoot shot and blanks, but if I was to fire ball etc. well a whole world of problems of only shooting at ranges etc. So was never worth the hassel.

Thanks for your intrest. Would be good to post a pic. but they are all pre digital.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the forum from Canton, Georgia. Maybe we can get together at one of the local rallies sometime. Are you a member at steel soldiers also? They have an annual GA rally.

Sounds like you are my neighbor! I'm a member of Steel Soldiers. I attended the 2009 GA rally and I intend to attend the 2010 rally as well, assuming that work doesn't interfere. I'll be bringing my M35A2 to the rally and pulling either my M116A2 trailer with an MEP-003A generator or my M105A2 trailer - not sure yet. I was only able to spend one night last year, slept in the back of my truck on an army cot. I'll try to stay at least 3 days this year. If you are ever up in the Hiawassee area (NE Georgia mountains), give me a shout.

• 1 month later...
Welcome to the forum my man.

Yes, it must be great living in the land of the free!!! Certainly isn't a free country here I can tell you.

Steady, steady...... you are talking about this green and pleasant land of ours!!!!!:trustme: