17pdr Project

Wow what a great find Lee! Where was it? and are there any more.........:D

Would love to do a project like this.

It's been sitting in a local Fort for about 20 years... saved in from the scrapman.. don't know of any others I'm sorry to say..

Well done Lee, It looks in very good shape. All you have to do now is source a Shield & a Tube! :D

Excellent Mate!

Mike

Very straight mate... 25pdr & the K2 come first, moving to the storage unti in the next few weeks so can then get started on those, trail will sit in the corner for now...

hi davie

you've got the sight for the sherman firefly there and very nice it is too,but not right for the a/t gun.

lee the sight you need is the no. 41, i have this sight and it's yours if you want it just let me know, however i think it'll be a while before you're ready to start fitting ancillaries and polishing the brass :D

eddy

hi davie

you've got the sight for the sherman firefly there and very nice it is too,but not right for the a/t gun.

lee the sight you need is the no. 41, i have this sight and it's yours if you want it just let me know, however i think it'll be a while before you're ready to start fitting ancillaries and polishing the brass :D

eddy

Cheers Davie for sorting out the photos, sorry it's the wrong one... Eddy, will send you a pm...

Cheers Davie for sorting out the photos, sorry it's the wrong one... Eddy, will send you a pm...

No problem Lee, It's good to know what it's from though. I might clean it up and put it on the mantle piece. I'm sure she won't notice!

davie

the sherman firefly sight is worth around £120 so it's worth keeping it in good shape, that one and the comet are my favourite sights

eddy

OK eddy, thanks for that, and cheers for identifying it as well.

All the British sighting telescopes are dimensionally interchangeable. The main differences, other than the graticules which are type specific are magnification, (either x1.9 or x3), lit graticule or not, (the L after the x3 in the picture) and fixed or moving graticule, the example shown being fixed. The moving graticules require a larger head diameter and have two adjusting knobs.

The x1.9 for tanks are for the front machine gun but also have the main armament range scales so they can be used in an emergency, the correct turret telescope having the x3 magnification. There is also a x6 eyepiece which fits in place of the rear lens though with a 75mm, that would only be of use for HE!

thanks adrian, i'll keep looking the only source of info i've found so far is the site i've included on the link, not much if any detail on the sights and there uses but it does list them all and gives a small write up on some.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119:british-sighting-telescopes&catid=49:other-data&Itemid=61

cheers eddy