thermos holders

griff66

Mine do exactly that - unbelievable!!

Not doubt Alien FTM, or someone else who used the Ferret for real, can tell us how to avoid crushing quite rare Thermos flasks!

Also, where was the Signal Pistol (in it's leather holster) stowed? - I tuck mine in the water bottle holder near the commander's right shoulder!

You wonder just how many flasks were broken in Ferrets - you'd be seriously hacked off if you found a flask full of broken glass mixed with lukewarm tomato soup on a really cold night in Germany!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

The holder I have is really tight also. I took it off once and learned I wont do that again.

I too would like to know where the flare gun was stored. Also where and what kind of signals where carried? I got some WW2 signal flare tins and have them in the bulb box holder near my feet.

-Chris

Yes, I've also just fitted 2 black thermos' into the ferret. Bloody difficult to get them closed without crushing or scratching the flask. One of them won't hold closed and I've had to "termporarily" use a cable tie :undecided:

That spare splinter screen was a bit tight too!

Does anyone know exactly how many sterling mags were carried, don't know whether to cram in 10, or use 8?

DSC01013..jpg

looks good does the rubber mallet help? can u post a few more interior shots toolman mines a bit bare inside . i have the seat with the flat back. whats the box fwd of spare splinter screen.

Edited by griff66

looks good does the rubber mallet help? can u post a few more interior shots toolman mines a bit bare inside . i have the seat with the flat back. whats the box fwd of spare splinter screen.

is that a clansman box?

heres a pic of the inside of mine

Inside_02..jpg

That looks good Chris, nice larkspur kit :-)

And yes, chris is spot on (as your would expect :-) The big green box is the Clansman TUAAM Box. It's a big bugger and slightly interferes with driving :-) and exiting via the drivers hatch.

That mallet is for emergency use only :-)

More Pics Below.

DSC01015..jpg

DSC01014..jpg

The holder I have is really tight also. I took it off once and learned I wont do that again.

I too would like to know where the flare gun was stored. Also where and what kind of signals where carried? I got some WW2 signal flare tins and have them in the bulb box holder near my feet.

-Chris

There are stowage diagrams in the Ferret user handbook that tell you where the Sig Pistol is stowed.

Flare cartridges in tins: Stowed generally wherever you could put them! Mostly together with the Sig Pistol for convinience. The Pistol was not used frequently so it was jsut another item of kit that had to be looked after & you were responsible for preventing it's loss when you signed it out! Like a lot of equipment, it was stowed wherever you could find a space for it! The 'Rulebook' went out the window!

Magazines: 10 can be fitted in the Internal Hull holder if you put them in upside down. But in practice they were NEVER left in the hoder. They were another item you signed for with your SMG & it's cleaning kit when you took your personal issue weapon out of the Armoury. Because YOU were responsiible for the equipment on your charge. You would NEVER run the risk of leaving them like that in a vehicle where there was a chance that they could be 'lifted'! ANY Ex Serving member will bear this out.

Thermos Flasks: They WILL fit in the holders, but ONLY just! you have to be VERY carefull on how you get them in the brackets! I pull my strap over a little bit each side at a time. Untill you can get the throwover catch to link up & close. It is a knack! We never bothered taking them out of stores, ever! If you needed a hot meal or a brew, you used the No:2 cooker. At night, you cooked in a hole in the gound under a Bivvy sheet to hide the flame signiture. If you were canny, you had a small NORMAL stainless steel flask that you had made a brew in earlier on. Space in a Ferret, as anybody knows who owns, or has served in one. Is at a premuim! So, if you can leave something out of the vehicle, or have got an item that will make life easier or more comfortable. that took precedance over most things 'OFFICIAL'!

My own stance was always: 'Anyone can struggle, It's the Canny ones who are more comfortable'! The RE.M.E vehicles were always the comfortable & well kitted out one's. We had beds in the back of 434's & Bedfords & thier trailers! Also funny that we were always the one's which were well stocked with Beers! Sometimes obtained by getting a Unit member out of embarassing situations on Exercises without telling the rest of the Regiment! Almost all Main unit vehicles were forbidden to have alcohol onboard during an exercise. This was known as a 'Dry Exercise' something we always ignored! :-D

Mike.

Edited by ferretfixer

Yes thanks for the info. Matt, thats the same place I put my extinguisher. What do they say about great minds? :D

Nice Clansman gear. Im still looking for the top gear for my radio. The #11 ATU etc. Been some on E-bay, but VERY $$ or the person dosent want to ship overseas.

-Chris

120-2061_IMG..JPG

120-2062_IMG..jpg

its probably me but are ferret thermos holders deliberately designed to crush the thermos flask.

Mine did the same thing....i had to take a round needle file to the closing cam...sorted the problem...also the clip would close much more positive...and stay closed too..hope this helps.I can take a photo of mine if you need to...regards Keith

Mine did the same thing....i had to take a round needle file to the closing cam...sorted the problem...also the clip would close much more positive...and stay closed too..hope this helps.I can take a photo of mine if you need to...regards Keith

if u could that would be great the filing took a bit of tension off closure?

if u could that would be great the filing took a bit of tension off closure?

ok i,ll go get my camera...the filing wasnt much...but allowed the closing loop to sit just a bit deeper in the cam.I had to bend the release arm a bit....but on so that it lays flush against the thermos when closed.

Regards Keith (Ferret MK2/3 03 CC 29)

thanks looks like it did not take too much of a file , will try wednesday . paul.

Noo problembo...glad to help..Ps the deeper you file the clip the more tension is released..so i fitted my thermos several times before i was happy...you can alway file more. ....Keith

Thats a great way to do it beats making up a new strap

Thanks ...looks neat...does the job....all i need now is a Military thermos..the one in the pic was a civvy green one...until last week.....label knocked up on my printer...aged using old tea bag....will do till the real deal turns up on ebay...or Beltring...regards Keith

Ok, ive held off saying anything on this subject for a while but I cant hold back anymore.

Please pardon me because im opionated.

Your vehicles are becoming text book sealed glass case reference examples of the specimen.

I would humbly suggest finding reference material, apart from stowage diagrams, and do your vehicles up with what was really used rather than what was supposed to be used.

I know this post could almost be stuck into the "originality" thread but I digress.

I'm closing the hatches now as the flames start

R

Ok, ive held off saying anything on this subject for a while but I cant hold back anymore.

Please pardon me because im opionated.

Your vehicles are becoming text book sealed glass case reference examples of the specimen.

I would humbly suggest finding reference material, apart from stowage diagrams, and do your vehicles up with what was really used rather than what was supposed to be used.

I know this post could almost be stuck into the "originality" thread but I digress.

I'm closing the hatches now as the flames start

R

please post pics of your mvs so we can see how it should be done!:cool2:

I'm hearing you on FM!

I couldn't get the spare splinter screen in withour taking the holder off either! :-)

I've got 3 spare screens and they are all rather tight in the holder, so I took the most narrow one and forced it into the holder when it was removed! I thought someone must have lined the holder with too much felt, as there was NO Way that screen was going in without the holder being off the vehicle!

common fault? or were they never used anyway?

Edited by Toolman
bit beer'ed up :-)