vehicle bulbs.

griff66

yeh ferret brake light bulbs it was stuck on even with ignition off so have changed brake light switch seems to have cured it , then i dropped bulb! took out the filament!( sorry initial post bit lacking in detail did not want to miss beginning of DR who. !)

Edited by griff66

yeh ferret brake light bulbs it was stuck on even with ignition off so have changed brake light switch seems to have cured it , then i dropped bulb! took out the filament!( sorry initial post bit lacking in detail did not want to miss beginning of DR who. !)

a normal 24v stop/tail light bulb, you should get one of those easily.

24volt bulbs except the British headlight bulbs are readily available off the shelf even over here in the colonies.

The trick I have found is to take in the old one but NEVER tell them what its from.

A switched on (nice pun eh?!!) parts chap should be able to cross reference it very quickly.

A faulty switch that left the brake lights on was the cause of a no start one one of the ferrets a while ago.

R

That happened to me on Ex Spearpoint in 1980. For the only time in my career I got orders to rebroadcast a net. We were umpires so I was able to get my driver to park in the middle of a field on a forward slope, able to devote my location to the radio and not having to compromise it with camouflage. We stopped in the middle of the field, threw up a pair of eight-metre masts, thought about the settings on the two newfangled UK/VRC353s to set them to rebroadcast one another, set the magic buttons and we each whipped out a good book to sit on top of the Ferret in the warm West German autumn sun and relaxed for a couple of hours.

I kept a Staff User Headgear on and monitored the traffic to ensure the rebro was functioning. Over time I became aware of what sounded like increasing hear-end cross-talk.

Unlike the Larkspur SR/C42 sets they replaced, the new 353 had an automatic squelch. Without going too deeply into wave theory, voice occupies only a small central portion of the waveband, the rest being noise. On Larkspur, having tuned in the set via a several-step process (dial-a-frequency on Clansman) and got out of the vehicle in the pouring rain and manually tuned in the antenna (turn a switch on Clansman), there was a third step, to tune out the squelch, turning a knob until the noise just cut out. As the battery power drained, the squelch needed adjusting down periodically and when the period got short, it was time to charge the batteries.

We had no experience of Clansman and, not having had to get up and tweak the squelch, I discovered that the brake switch (might it have been a sender unit?) had failed and the brakes were permanently on. I whipped out the bulbs to save battery power and managed one last call to Command Troop reporting my LocStat and my situation. As it happened, the need for rebroadcast was at an end and Zero Alpha was coming on its way past me.

We didn't even need the jump cable. We were on a straight track through the field facing gently downhill. I knew we could push start a Mark 1 Ferret downhill with four people because I had done it previously with a Mark 2 in UNFICYP, so we got a couple of bodies and got her going, then went directly to 15/15H LAD REME who replaced the part (ISTR it took a day or two to get the part and we spent the intervening time without brake lights while, when on the move, I encouraged the Salmon Trouts behind to always keep their distance).

Edited by AlienFTM
couple of edits of typos

Oh and I forgot mention wrt 24 volt bulbs.

If you go into a motorway service station and find bulbs in green blister packs, it's likely they are 24v for the use of truck drivers.

I learned this the hard way, being stopped by Dyfed Powys Police on my way home from holiday a few years ago for having a failed stop / tail light bulb. Being an upstanding citizen I called in at the first motorway services I came to (at the start of the M4) and bought a pair of bulbs. I hadn't finished fitting the bulb when a member of staff walked across and pointed out to ne that he'd just sold me 24v bulbs which were no good in a Mark 3 Golf (that I'd had for all of three weeks). Not having any 12v bulbs, he happily gave me a refund.

It turned out that not a single motorway service station on the M4 had 12v stop / tail bulbs (which made for a rather long journey home, checking each service station in turn) and I had to sort it all out next day

I had the last laugh. Up while the sparrows were still having their early-morning fag, I'd been to the local Halfords, replaced the bulb and had an MOT stamp on the "fix in seven days" notice thingy (don't ask me what it's called: I keep my car legal at all times) which I proceeded to present at my local Police station within 12 hours of being pulled over.

What baffled the Southampton Police was that I presented them a Welsh document that they'd never seen before ...

... until they turned it over and read the English side.

Well it made me laugh.