Trailer Project

I'm about to begin a project to build a trailer suitable for carrying my Universal Carrier. I require the trailer to carry approx. 4 ton max. Can anyone advise on any military type axles I can use to carry this weight? Twin axles to be used, unless someone has a small heavy duty low to the ground trailer!

Thanks

Nigel

I'm about to begin a project to build a trailer suitable for carrying my Universal Carrier. I require the trailer to carry approx. 4 ton max. Can anyone advise on any military type axles I can use to carry this weight? Twin axles to be used, unless someone has a small heavy duty low to the ground trailer!

Thanks

Nigel

As far as I know it is, and has been for some time, illegal to build a trailer using components removed from a vehicle. New build trailers should, by law, be built with new axles from an Axle builder/ supplier.

Thanks

Nigel

What are you intending to tow the trailer with? would need to be a truck with a towing capacity of at least 5-6 tons. to carry 4 ton + weight of trailer would make it well over 5 ton gross and mean air brakes and be subject to plate and test, oh and an HGV licence to tow it too

Edited by Nick Johns

Intend towing with a 1941 Ford Truck. Didn't know about making trailer from other vehicle parts, thanks for that. Overall weight is expected to be Carrier at 3.5ton plus trailer. 3.5ton trailers are just over their limit and there is nothing on the market that I know about that will do less than 7 ton but more that 3.5 ton! If I tow with the Ford, will I have to have an HGV? Or is it exempt? New ground for me!

Nigel

Intend towing with a 1941 Ford Truck. Didn't know about making trailer from other vehicle parts, thanks for that. Overall weight is expected to be Carrier at 3.5ton plus trailer. 3.5ton trailers are just over their limit and there is nothing on the market that I know about that will do less than 7 ton but more that 3.5 ton! If I tow with the Ford, will I have to have an HGV? Or is it exempt? New ground for me!

Nigel

Certainly true for smaller trailers. You may be able to used axles from a vehicle for a trailer with powered braking system (in sync with tractor). The ban on using automobile axles on self build trailers was I beieve harmonisation with EU law (again) on overun braking and it related to all new trailers having auto reverse braking system, not possible with auto components removed from vehicles. If you go down the self build route, you need to see if this affects you.

Given the potential trailer problems, would it be easier to get a s/h 7.5t beavertail truck? Would carry 4t ok.

Not wanting to contradict you but whilst I agree some makes of truck can carry 4 tonnes ie Isuzu and Iveco other makes are much heavier and can only carry 3.5 to 3.8 tonnes.

Intend towing with a 1941 Ford Truck. If I tow with the Ford, will I have to have an HGV? Or is it exempt? New ground for me!

Nigel

This subject has been coverered numerous times before and to regard of transporting bren carriers due to their weight, but its not feasable to use an historic vehicle such as your 1941 Ford as a tow vehicle, it is MOT exempt as a historic vehicle and insured as such, and can be driven on a car licence, it is thus restricted to "BEING USED UNLADEN & can pull an UNLADEN TRAILER" To pull a loaded trailer It would have to be tested and be of sufficient train weight to tow your proposed trailer, it therfore becomes a load carrying commercial vehicle again , may also need a tachograph fitted! plus you would then need an HGV licence if your train weight, truck + loaded trailer weight would be exceeding 7.5 tons, the max you can drive on an older type car licence

There are people who ignore the law and operate mot exempt vehicles carrying a load or pulling loaded trailers but the moment something goes wrong, a minor accident, then when it all comes to light the clasic vehicle insurance would be found to be invalid

Edited by Nick Johns

^ our law is based on presidence. care to share with us?

If you want a proper answer from someone who is not talking from what they heard from joe bloggs in the rally beer tent ring VOSA they will give you a straight yes or no. horses mouth and the like.

Cheers

Pete

ring VOSA they will give you a straight yes or no.

Cheers

Pete

Aah, the naivety of youth!

Actually, what Nick wrote is absolutely correct, not bar talk, other than the gross weight you can drive on an old car licence. It is actually 8.25 tons train weight but this also only allows a max trailer weight of 750 kg so not much use in moving a carrier.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

^ our law is based on presidence. care to share with us?

If you want a proper answer from someone who is not talking from what they heard from joe bloggs in the rally beer tent ring VOSA they will give you a straight yes or no. horses mouth and the like.

Cheers

Pete

Straight answer from VOSA? That'll be a first. Even there website has a disclaimer!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/

you will find that disclaimer on all .gov websites.

My point is without contacting VOSA and by going by what is said by someone you may have never met you put yourself in a weaker position if god forbid something did go wrong, than if you ring VOSA directly.

As with all Gov dep's you have to be talking to the right people to get the correct answer.

To claim that because i am not of advancing years my point is less valid is very childish.

If people want the contact details of the guy we use with VOSA who has been very helpful and has no problems writing as well as using the phone i can PM you his details.

Cheers

Pete

you will find that disclaimer on all .gov websites.

My point is without contacting VOSA and by going by what is said by someone you may have never met you put yourself in a weaker position if god forbid something did go wrong, than if you ring VOSA directly.

As with all Gov dep's you have to be talking to the right people to get the correct answer.

To claim that because i am not of advancing years my point is less valid is very childish.

If people want the contact details of the guy we use with VOSA who has been very helpful and has no problems writing as well as using the phone i can PM you his details.

Cheers

Pete

You implied Nicks reply as being ''from the beer tent''. His reply was factual and well established. I'm sorry you felt I was being childish, I wasn't, it was merely a humourous (to me) comment on your faith in the authorities knowledge of their own subject. There are many on here who would not share your faith.

That you have found someone different is lucky.

The law is quite clear in the matter of what you can and cannot do with our vehicles.

I agree with the comments on 7.5 ton trucks as I looked into this some time ago for my carrier.

Mk11 Carriers are actually marginally heavier than Mk1 (approx 3.8 ton) and by the time you have included your tools tents and everything else you take to shows you may well exceed 4 tons.

Short of making a lightweight alloy body yourself, only the modern 7.5 ton trucks will carry 4 ton.

Sorry to disagree/add to the above but I recently had my photocard licence through (change of address meant change from paper one) and category C1E now allows a heavier train weight if you are over 21. From the direct gov site and also in the leaflet that was with my licence:

Category

Description

Minimum age

C1

Vehicles weighing between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg

18*

C1+E

As category C1 but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 12,000 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle

21*, **,

Therefore you could go for a unimog with say a 6,000kg max weight and a trailer of 4,000kg behind it.

HTH

Regards

Ed

You implied Nicks reply as being ''from the beer tent''. His reply was factual and well established.

I would like to apologise if this is what i said came across as. I was trying to say that asking VOSA is a better way of staying on the side of the law than asking for peoples personal opinions on a forum, After all this forum is a bit like an extension of a rally beer tent.

Cheers

Pete

I would like to apologise if this is what i said came across as. I was trying to say that asking VOSA is a better way of staying on the side of the law than asking for peoples personal opinions on a forum, After all this forum is a bit like an extension of a rally beer tent.

Cheers

Pete

No worries Pete, that is a problem with forums, it's difficult to tell just what is meant and you're right, there are always ten wrong opinions expressed for every right one! Let's start again....

Hi Pete, I'm Adrian! :thumbsup:

Hi Adrian,

I've only ever taken the old standard car test and my licence has C1+E entitlement. With the new licence you need to go and do all the extra tests. Might be worth someone else who has recently renewed their licence checking their entitlements, mine might be an odd one!:-D

Regards

Ed