Vulcan XH558

VULCANFREAK

early to mid 80,s one if not the last formula 1 grand prix at brands hatch vulcan did a fly past at lunch time came towards us then stood on its tail and went straight up my girlfriend started crying at the sound level and vibration ,still one of the most impressive things i,ve seen,:cool2:

If I can make my girl friend cry, I find that impressive too!

Yes i would be wonderful to see 40,000 rivets flying in close formation again! (The nickname given to the Shackleton by the way!) However, the one at Coventry will never fly again due to some things that affected the whole fleet in the end, including a full re-spar needed. That one is however ground run on occasions and is looked after by a dedicated team. The financial cost is way above what the Classic Flight - the part of the Atlantique operation that has the classic aircraft under its wing so tp speak (this includes Venoms, Canberras, Meteor, DC3s, Doves, Rapides, Vampires and Twin Pioneer among others). The other Shack that they had was flying in the US and it was hoped that it could be returned to this country and continue flying. However, basically due to the CAA (otherwise known as the Campaign Against Aviation!) saying NO, it was retired and is now at the Pima Air Museum in the US and is very likely to stay there.

I don't think the one at Coventry is ground run as engines removed, think you mean the one at nearby Wellesbourne XM655 which is run annually and last year their was a surprise treat with XH558 doing a display as way of thanks to their team for all their work. And that was fantastic.

I don't think the one at Coventry is ground run as engines removed, think you mean the one at nearby Wellesbourne XM655 which is run annually and last year their was a surprise treat with XH558 doing a display as way of thanks to their team for all their work. And that was fantastic.

Are we getting confused here :???

I don't know the current situation but all engines were in place and run up on the Coventry Shackleton at the last air show.

Are we getting confused here :???

I don't know the current situation but all engines were in place and run up on the Coventry Shackleton at the last air show.

Vipers too??

Please correct me if wrong but AFAIK since WR963 is a MR2 / AEW2 it never had vipers fitted and that is why it survives and is currently being returned to flying condition - Note this does not mean it will fly again not least because CAA may never give approval. It is no longer owned by Air Atlantique but ASCET.

It was the MR3's that had the Vipers due to additional weight of equipment and these were withdrawn much earlier because spars had all reached their stresslife limit due to the increased weight.

Please correct me if wrong but AFAIK since WR963 is a MR2 / AEW2 it never had vipers fitted and that is why it survives and is currently being returned to flying condition - Note this does not mean it will fly again not least because CAA may never give approval. It is no longer owned by Air Atlantique but ASCET.

It was the MR3's that had the Vipers due to additional weight of equipment and these were withdrawn much earlier because spars had all reached their stresslife limit due to the increased weight.

I assumed it was an MR3, my mistake. My neighbour used to pilot Shackletons and had several hairy moments when the Vipers failed on take off; apparently they were run on petrol which gave the fuel pumps a hard time. He also told me of about flying with live nuclear depth bombs during the Cuban missile crisis.:shocked:

I assume it was these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_101_Lulu

'The weapon lacked any speed sensors to detect free fall from an aircraft, i.e., intentional dropping in flight, so if the weapon accidentally fell off an aircraft parked on a flight deck and rolled overboard it could detonate when it sank to the preset depth' !!

Edited by radiomike7
Info on NDBs