Chernobyl vehicle graveyard

fesm_ndt

most likely cheap to buy :-D

Mind you if they were washed down, they would be ok. The radiation don't get into the metal like what was posted in the other forum.

What the problem is radioactive contamination, particles, dust etc which could have got into every nook and cranny. So if it was thouroughly jetblasted.... but you can imagine the water coming out with particles, then wash it again.

So it's cheaper at the moment to let them sit, but one day they will have to clean it up as it aint going to go away

Gotta say if i owned a zil I'd be tempted to take a geiger counter with me when buying spares!

Given that the Russian government apparently recommended vodka to counter the effects of radiation sickness at the time I wouldn't hold out too much faith in the scruples of russian based spares dealers :cool2:

Bodge deep

Gotta say if i owned a zil I'd be tempted to take a geiger counter with me when buying spares!

Preserved in Australia is a Centurion 5 169041 formerly 06BA16 which was subjected to a atomspheric atomic test, it was then washed down, had broken parts (like periscopes) replaced and put back in service including active duty in Vietnam.

there is some radioactivity in all steel manufactured from 1945 on.

Actually a bigger problem than that. Most common problem is radiation flow gauges in process plant get melted down as part of the scrap as people forget about them, not good as typically they use Cobolt 60. Two incidents I am aware of is an apartment building in Taiwan with the rebar so hot people cant live there.

The other incident was at a nuke plant in the states. They have sensors at the gates to prevent exit of radioactive materials. A load of new steel was comming in and the alarms started screaming.

The one in the US was where a number of X Ray machines went for scrap. The machines were scrapped by a local in Mexico still containing the radioactive core. It was only discovered by acident when a load of building beams that included the stuff got lost. The driver of the truck carrying them asked directions from a nuclear estblishment. As he turned the truck it went past radiaton detecters that were ussed to monotor plant vehicles. The detectors promptly went off high order.

Looking at the pictures, just about everything has had alot of parts stripped off, there are even engines removed and stripped down, and the helicopters are just shells with engines and avionics stripped.

Whoever stripped these of parts isnt long for this world, i can remember in the news, the helicopters flying through the fallout clouds, they must be super hot.

Makes you wonder how many of these parts are in circulation.

Some of you may remember see a program on TV a few years ago in which students from Chernobyl came to stay in the UK and it was stated that a stay of a few weeks in the UK had the effect of extending their life expectancy by several YEARS - just from being away from the area.

Grave yard hunters be warned!

There was a rather grusome documentary on the whole thing some time back. The Helicopter pilots were basically on a sucide mission, you went in, but not long after you went out, in a series of very miserable ways.

Incedentally, there are still farms in the UK, mainly Welsh hills which still have to have stock tested for fallout before they can be sold.

So Tragic, I recall watching one documentary about the work done to contain the hot material outside of the reactor , they had people basically making their own lead coated smocks to offer a few additional minutes shielding as one by one they had to go up onto the remaining roof and shovel a chunk or two of what ever was there down inside the wreckage of the old reactor then leave the area asap as another took their place. Those they spoke sometime later said they knew the risks and if they did not do this then someone else would have to . Very courageous .

Incedentally, there are still farms in the UK, mainly Welsh hills which still have to have stock tested for fallout before they can be sold.

As a water treatment operator, we take samples from our river supply every week which are sent away to be tested for -amongst other things- radiation from Chernobyl. The results are published annually in a book along with those for all the other rivers used for drinking water throughout the country.

-Roger.

Are you looking for Chernobyl specific isotopes or other isotopes for example those released by other causes for example radon leaching out of granite by water action?

Call me a little bit cynical but the majority of the so called Chernobyl hot spots are remarkably close to other nuclear facilities notably North Wales and Cumbria, so unless isotopes are magnetic...

When Chernobyl went bang one Scandinavian monitoring facility managed to detect the radioactive release, the problem is they managed to detect it about 8 hours before it happened!:confused:

Steve

The one in the US was where a number of X Ray machines went for scrap. The machines were scrapped by a local in Mexico still containing the radioactive core. It was only discovered by acident when a load of building beams that included the stuff got lost. The driver of the truck carrying them asked directions from a nuclear estblishment. As he turned the truck it went past radiaton detecters that were ussed to monotor plant vehicles. The detectors promptly went off high order.

see here for the full story http://www.window.state.tx.us/border/ch09/cobalto.html

I do have to laugh, years ago in the UK I worked for a company that transported "spent" nuclear material from Electricity De France in Pierelatte (sp) to British Nuclear Fuels Ltd in the UK.

As part of "customer" relations I rode along in one of the trucks after it came through the port and went up to the BNFL facility just to see the UK side of what we did and meet the people I had telex (kind of antiquated electric type writer for the yung uns) contact with.

Anyway, upon arrival I was issued hard hat and HI Vis jacket, before they were fashion items. We did the visit watching the verification process and the unloading and then came off the "raft" as they called it and went for a meeting. On the way we had to wash our hands and pass by a dosimeter.

Well golly didnt the machine go ballistic when I presented my hands after washing. I was immediatly told to rewash and the hazmat personel were alerted and very soon on scene.

There followed a frantic series of handwashing and retesting each with the same result and no change.

Finally one of the chaps asked me if I had a watch with a luminous dial. I did, it was ex MOD.

Once removed I passed the dosimeter but the watch failed. It was confiscated as being bad for my health.

Since, I have had a child with no ill effects but it always amuses me as to how the watch was ever sold off in the first place

Robin aka glow in the dark.

The dose rates are based on lowering exposure risk. For example 25 micro Sievert is a radiation workers allowable dose rate per hour and a lot of people think if under that limit ok.

However the idea as I said is to lower the risk as 1 photon could cause the somatic or genetic mutation or simply give you cancer.

So the idea of limits is same as if I throw 25 tennis balls at a person, I got a 1 in 25 chance of hitting them. If I have 100 you got better odds. Another item is distance if the person is closer better odds.

All kind of interesting for me as when doing radiation work we would put up big signs, with "Radiation Work in Progress - Keep Out" and people would near on fall over stepping accross them to come into the area. Another time there was only one access so we put a sign at the entrance and feeling a bit humourous we taped it up with radiation tape, looking something like a crime scence door ie a lot of tape. Later we are doing a shot and this guy wanders in. We asked him how he got in, and he said the gate. We said how and he said, took ages to get in as some twit had taped the gate up :banghead:

Are you looking for Chernobyl specific isotopes or other isotopes for example those released by other causes for example radon leaching out of granite by water action?

Steve

I'm not looking for anything, I just pour water into a carboy, tag/ label it and stick it on a van!

It's about 15 years since I did any radiochemistry.

-Roger.