Digging up a tank in the Sahara !!

Fugly

Question

Anyone ever see a movie about some lost (oil workers??) in the desert who, whilst on their last legs discover an aerial sticking out of the ground... some digging later they uncover a WW2 tank which amazingly starts up and delivers them from the clutches of some bad guys??

I would love a copy of this movie. I think it was black and white (but I was only 9 or 10 when I saw it) .

I think they were oil workers or similar. Either way I think it was a German tank (thats probably why it started...)

Anyone ??

14 answers to this question

According to Google is was retitled "The Treasure of Kalifa" in the UK.

Can't find any copies on DVD or video though.

There is a copy on American Ebay at the moment, but I don't think American format DVDs can be played over here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-STEEL-LADY-1953-TAB-HUNTER-ROB-CAMERON-ON-DVD_W0QQitemZ260530736886QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100101?IMSfp=TL1001010110001r1280

I know someone who did this for real - well nearly - in Libya in the early 60's. They found a Kubelwagon (sp?) in a sand dune and got it going. It was a popular vehicle - not on the books of course at the RAF base he worked on so, scrounge a bit of petrol out of something and off you go to the local fleshpots, no paperwork required!

The same thing happened in Libya in the mid 90's I believe, last time I was out there the time served Oil company guys recounted how a team of contractors (Agiyp IIRC) found an Italian armoured car burried in the sand while off the regular tracks. I'm not to hot on Italian vehicles but they described how its drive was via a Hydraulic pump mounted in place of a normal gearbox and a hydraulic motor on each wheel, that's the only bit I remember. Oh - they managed to get it shipped back to Italy 'on the quite'.

Anyone ever see a movie about some lost (oil workers??) in the desert who, whilst on their last legs discover an aerial sticking out of the ground... some digging later they uncover a WW2 tank which amazingly starts up and delivers them from the clutches of some bad guys??

I would love a copy of this movie. I think it was black and white (but I was only 9 or 10 when I saw it) .

I think they were oil workers or similar. Either way I think it was a German tank (thats probably why it started...)

Anyone ??

Dif you ever get a copy. I have a copy recorded somewhere. It is a pretty bad film. The interior shots of the tank are huge, ballroom size.