Ferret Interior equipment.

Lord Burley

I'm just finishing off kitting out the rest of the interior. A couple of things i would like to know. How many personnel weapons were carried. Ive only ever noticed the pair of hooks on the back for the sterling. Anywhere else. It also seems that the original type flasks are very hard to come by. Was there a later equivelant????.

driver's Sterling is loose inside, not stowed, just goes (on the floor) wherever the driver wanted to put it

as you have a GPMG Ferret you would not have had a Bren inside, although on 30 cal Mk2 there is one story of the crew having a Bren in the bracket as an additional demount weapon

hi mark, some mk1,s had a mounting for a bren at drivers l/h side , plus a very pistol there was a blk thermos on ebay recently for a ferret went for about twenty pounds.
Hello mate. As said below. the bren is wrong the time i'm portraying with the Ferret. B.t.w hows yours coming along. Any pics to post???.

What era is your Ferret? Do you have interior pics? I'd like to see as comparison of what kit to have and locations.

-Chris

Ferret 00 EC 55

1960. I'm portraying the last of the in-service vehicles. circa late 80,s very,very early 90,s. I will take some interior shots.

A very early listing in a TOTE shows Jars, vacuum, 1 qt. complete J2/JB12540, quantity 3.

Out of curiosity I searched for the part number to see if there was a modern equivalent, the only match was Pessary, perspex, so I shouldn't think that would be carried in a Ferret.:sweat:

A very early listing in a TOTE shows Jars, vacuum, 1 qt. complete J2/JB12540, quantity 3.

Out of curiosity I searched for the part number to see if there was a modern equivalent, the only match was Pessary, perspex, so I shouldn't think that would be carried in a Ferret.:sweat:

Clive,

I well recollect the item, it turned up as a substitute for the original type. More like a commercial item, if I remember correctly, it had a pvc strap handle on the side, it being a Thermos flask like you take you hot tea to work in, with a cup on top.

Clive,

I well recollect the item, it turned up as a substitute for the original type. More like a commercial item, if I remember correctly, it had a pvc strap handle on the side, it being a Thermos flask like you take you hot tea to work in, with a cup on top.

Richard, yes I see one with a PVC strap on here:

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/ces_&_kit.htm

I don't know the answer, but asuumed J2/JB12540 was the original one, as it was listed in the Provisional 1953 TOTE for Fieldmouse Mk1. Maybe things changed when the species did? Maybe they didn't realise just how many of the black type they still had in stock?

Richard, yes I see one with a PVC strap on here:

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/ces_&_kit.htm

I don't know the answer, but asuumed J2/JB12540 was the original one, as it was listed in the Provisional 1953 TOTE for Fieldmouse Mk1. Maybe things changed when the species did? Maybe they didn't realise just how many of the black type they still had in stock?

Clive,

No, that one shown in the link is much the same as the black one. The one I have seen, had a small neck with ordinary cup size mug on top, slightly taller as well, with plastic handle down the side. Obviously a modern commercial pattern, maybe supplied as a substitute, when demanding original stock number as they were n/a. This would be about 18 years ago.

No fittings for a Bren in mine. But then again i dont want one in it. Ive got the sterling mounts on the rear. And one Sterling in it, care of Ferretfixer. Two jumps seats are fitted. I also have the splinter screens in place. Lost out on one flask yesterday of fleabay. Went for a fiver. Just waiting for someone of the forum to get back to me to have there one.

Guys

I've fitted the 353 and 352 radio combination as well as the rear sterling mount and seat belt bracket, just as shown in Chris' pics. (I'm assuming it's a sterling mount, not a sten one)

However the SURF on the 352 blocks the right hand bracket. Was this a problem in service, or was the mount just bent back?

(I notice in Chris' picture the Surf isn't fitted)

Cheers

Matt

Guys

I've fitted the 353 and 352 radio combination as well as the rear sterling mount and seat belt bracket, just as shown in Chris' pics. (I'm assuming it's a sterling mount, not a sten one)

However the SURF on the 352 blocks the right hand bracket. Was this a problem in service, or was the mount just bent back?

(I notice in Chris' picture the Surf isn't fitted)

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Chris has the hand generator fitted if you have that fitted the Surf sits to high. I can't find a pic of mine fitted inside

this may help - 353 and 352 set up

BTW - if you fit a 351 or 352 then you should also fit a DCCU charger for the radio battery rather than the hand charger. The location of the DCCU is variable - one manual has it attached to the right of radio on the side of the radio tray (as shown in Andy's picture), but at the cost of hampering access to vehicle battery box below, alternatively, another manual shows it instead of the No80 Grenade box (as pictured on mine), but no alternative location for the grenade box was specified

352invehicleBposition.jpg

DCCUview.jpg

Edited by john fox

Chris,

In late Eighties onward, a Thermos demanded on correct order number would come up as a modern stainless steel type, not sure about if it fitted straight in to the bracket or whether a different one was required. So either type would be correct.

Richard, You are quite correct. It is a standard comercial THERMOS brand flask & cup with a Black plastic handle on the side that goes flat.The same as the ones on the front of the old 'lift up lid' record players!) The Military ones differ ONLY in that they have a N.A.T.O Stock number on them.

They THEN will will fit in the brackets when inserted insdie those green nylon tube covers with WHITE foam liners inside to protect the flask. They also have an adjustable shoulder strap as well. There used to be loads around & people didnt know what they were for! :cool2:

Mike.

Richard, You are quite correct. It is a standard comercial THERMOS brand flask & cup with a Black plastic handle on the side that goes flat.The same as the ones on the front of the old 'lift up lid' record players!) The Military ones differ ONLY in that they have a N.A.T.O Stock number on them.

They THEN will will fit in the brackets when inserted insdie those green nylon tube covers with WHITE foam liners inside to protect the flask. They also have an adjustable shoulder strap as well. There used to be loads around & people didnt know what they were for! :cool2:

Mike.

Mike,

You got it! I thought that the plastic parts may have been green, but your description is spot on.

:tup::