Humber Pig questions

fadedsun

How does a 1 ton truck that has several tons of armor on it even manage to move?

Seems to me several tons of armor+8 dismounts/gear would be enough to snap the frame in half.

I take it then that the humber is made of sterner stuff then I'm aware of...

They are that good a vehicle that a lot of ex-British Army ones were bought by US police forces, for their SWAT teams..........:coffee:

They are that good a vehicle that a lot of ex-British Army ones were bought by US police forces, for their SWAT teams..........:coffee:

Yep.

They're selling off some of theirs now and replacing them with other vehicles like the Bearcat. I'm looking to score a pig, hence my asking.

I should think that in the US variant the only thing kept was the armoured box!

Yep, except with very much upgraded brakes and power steering so turning/stops aren't as much of an issue.

I would assume the armoured body imparts a lot of stiffness, and reduces point loading on the frame, almost eliminating the need for one.

That's the answer I was looking for. Anything else?

The X braced ladder chassis is very strong, the fixed part of the axles are then bolted to that, along with very substantial bash plates to protect them, and on the Pig the armoured body is mainly 1/4" plate with 1/2" along most of the frontal parts, solidly welded, if there was any flex in the chassis, it is completely eliminated by the solid armoured box bolted to it.

Humber Pig hull ROF Notts5684%20a.jpg

Wow that's super thank you for those. You have made an old man very happy tonight!

Interestingly I see the headlight boxes were on before any of the headlight or sidelight assemblies were installed.

By any chance do you have any figures for the numbers made at ROFN & ROFW?

Clive - sorry we don't have any manufacturing records available. When ROF Nottingham was closed a couple of us managed to scan a lot of photographs (glass plates, 35mm and prints) and create a web site to show some of these images as a historic record. Unfortunately it became too expensive for us to continue with the site. However here is another image of some completed vehicles.

regards

Ex WebAdmin at ROF_Nottingam.co.uk

Humber_Pig_bird.jpg

That's an interesting contrast with the goose (it's not a swan is it?). At one time we had 21 geese here, the problem was they had a fetish for biting tyre valve caps & any sort cable/wire. I was painting a vehicle once in DBG & a goose shoved its head in the paint pot. That rather scared it but for quite a few weeks it caused some interest when neighbours asked what bred the green speckled goose was.

Anyway I'm sure ROFN security kept the geese moving along. Or perhaps they were the security? People seem unduly scared of geese!

Anyway it's particularly nice to see the ERM, that went on to become a Mk 2. But I've not seen it in a picture before.

Shame your site couldn't continue. But at least you were able to salvage something. There was a programme on R4 last week or so about the closing of companies & their archives being just dumped. There were suggestions of moves to try to legally require companies to preserve or deposit somewhere key records for posterity. In fact there was a collector of Woolworths archives who had managed to rescue much useful stuff from their skip & he sounded quite excited about his find.

I would assume the armoured body imparts a lot of stiffness, and reduces point loading on the frame, almost eliminating the need for one.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attach...1&d=1256056847

This picture clearly shows that the original (point loading) body mounting brackets are left unused in this picture, the number sevens are almost pointing to the first two, two more pairs can also be seen.

originally images posted by me from the RAWHS set on humber pigs at woolwich

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attach...1&d=1256056847