MBTs in civvy usage

robin craig

I was talking to an acquaintance a few years ago who worked in the North East in the oil rig fabrication yards.

He distinctly remembers ex army turretless tanks being used to move oil rigs around on site.

I would guess that they might have been either Centurions by the era that he allleged this to have taken place in.

Can anyone expand on this?

Robin

Hi robin

By North East do you mean Newfoundland & Labrador or North East England.

In England as far as I've seen, places like Amec use standard crane and dolly equipment to move stuff around yards- most of the fabrication yards were redundant Ship yards.

Steve

I was talking to an acquaintance a few years ago who worked in the North East in the oil rig fabrication yards.

He distinctly remembers ex army turretless tanks being used to move oil rigs around on site.

I would guess that they might have been either Centurions by the era that he allleged this to have taken place in.

Can anyone expand on this?

Robin

Have you seen the Sherman hull still being used as a base for the winching rig on Axemen ?:-D Something went wrong...

Robin Craig

Gents,

yes I am talking about North Eastern UK.

And we are straying way off topic

It seems to be a bit of a confusing story, the rig equipment built in North Eastern England fabrication yards are really big, because except in the inital exploration period (early 1960s) most exploration was done in deep exposed seaway, not much less exposed than on the Grand Banks, so everything was really heavy and bulky.

In the UK there has been very little land based explorative drilling for oil, as far as I am aware on the east coast from Durham south to Nolfolk and some work around the Dorset coast where oil is still extracted from low pressure pockets. By the nature of the terrrain involved is comparatively flat it would not really require tracked oil rigs either SP or skidders, but I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

The only stuff I know of that was tank based probably Shermans used in the 1950s to extend the electricity grid in the Scottish Highlands,but I've never seen any photographic or scrapyard proof.

Steve

• 10 months later...