Leyland 4x4

radiomike7

Anyone seen one of these before? Fitted with a Perkins 180bhp V8, 6 speed Turner gearbox and 2 speed transfer, the mid 70s brochure suggests that it is production ready. The 16 ton GVW makes it a Bedford TM rival but were they ever evaluated by the military?

If my memory serves me correctly, there were three contenders, Foden 4x4, Leyland and Bedford TM of course.

I might me wrong though....

According to Jane's, there was a 6x6 Leyland version that contended for the Australian Army 6x6 contract.....Mack won that one.

To bring this thread together here are images of the contenders

The Bedford TM the winner as we all know, the Leyland Mastiff ( it even made the Aldershot army show in the mid 1970s) the Foden, afraid i cant lay my hands on the cargo photo but this recovery shows the type of cab that they submitted and the shelvoke

Going back to the TM i have always wondered why the cream and black livery on the early prototype prehaps Bedford thought it more prolific

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

Perkins V8 you say Mike. Bet that was pretty good in the performance stakes? Do you know what CC it was?

Can't remember what the cc was but the ones we used to operate were quoted at 180bhp fitted in Ford's and Dodges. Even when they were going, which wasn't very often, the performance was poor at 24tonnes gross.

Edited by Degsy

Can't remember what the cc was but the ones we used to operate were qouted at 180bhp fitted in Ford's and Dodges. Even when they were going, which wasn't very often, the performance was poor at 24tonnes gross.

I take it the engine wasn't that reliable then?

I'd love a Bedford 500 in my MJ. The 330 I think is just too small especially with the Electronic Repair Radar body on mine. I wonder if it's a straight swap? Anyone know?

I take it the engine wasn't that reliable then?

I'd love a Bedford 500 in my MJ. The 330 I think is just too small especially with the Electronic Repair Radar body on mine. I wonder if it's a straight swap? Anyone know?

The Perkins V8 was very unreliable, always breaking down and the 500 we had in TM's were just as bad, we replaced the 500's with Leyland engines.

The Perkins engine would have been the V8-540 8.8 litres.. Naturally aspirated with about 182 bhp. Not the best engine in the world,as others have commented. We had a couple of Ford D series 2417 tractor units which were woefully inadequate at 24 tons gvw. Made a great noise though. We called them the Growlers!!!

Now, if Leyland had made them with an AEC engine.....

The Perkins V8 was very unreliable, always breaking down and the 500 we had in TM's were just as bad, we replaced the 500's with Leyland engines.

When 1 Squadron went from a DROPS Squadron to a Royal Engineer and Ambulance support Squadron we got a load of 8 ton TM Tippers. We never used them much granted, but I cannot remember many problems with the engines.

What do you think of the AEC diesel engines?

When 1 Squadron went from a DROPS Squadron to a Royal Engineer and Ambulance support Squadron we got a load of 8 ton TM Tippers. We never used them much granted, but I cannot remember many problems with the engines.

Not had a lot of personal experience of AEC engines but generally good. I know several people who have had much experience and absolutely swear by them.

Sorry for the delay.

The inline 6 cylinder AEC engines of the late sixties/early eighties were,in my opinion the finest diesel engines ever made. Powerful with good torque and yet flexible with the capability to rev if necessary. We had AV 505 engines in AEC Mercury 16 tonners and all had done in excess of half a million miles when they were replaced. Not one of them even had the rocker boxes removed during service!

Similar story with AV 760 powered Mandator tractor units...

AEC were a 'premium' truck manufacturer and when hauliers purchased them they would operate them for years. Operators who bought non premium vehicles would typically dispose of them after a few years and then purchase new ones.

Unfortunately AEC were absorbed into the Leyland group, British motor holdings and were subsequently starved of finances, particularly towards the end of the sixties. They made a V8 which would have been a world leader but their R&D department was so cash starved that it was released in an undeveloped state. By the time they had sorted it out the damage had been done.

If only Leyland had'nt been involved...

Sorry for the delay.

The inline 6 cylinder AEC engines of the late sixties/early eighties were,in my opinion the finest diesel engines ever made. Powerful with good torque and yet flexible with the capability to rev if necessary. We had AV 505 engines in AEC Mercury 16 tonners and all had done in excess of half a million miles when they were replaced. Not one of them even had the rocker boxes removed during service!

Similar story with AV 760 powered Mandator tractor units...

AEC were a 'premium' truck manufacturer and when hauliers purchased them they would operate them for years. Operators who bought non premium vehicles would typically dispose of them after a few years and then purchase new ones.

Unfortunately AEC were absorbed into the Leyland group, British motor holdings and were subsequently starved of finances, particularly towards the end of the sixties. They made a V8 which would have been a world leader but their R&D department was so cash starved that it was released in an undeveloped state. By the time they had sorted it out the damage had been done.

If only Leyland had'nt been involved...

AEC were always regarded as the "Rolls Royce" of the commercial world, you paid more but you alsogot more, in terms of better engineering.

Remember (nearly?) every Rolls Royce Merlin that flew in WW2 had it final drive gears ground by AEC.

Edited by antarmike

AEC were always regarded as the "Rolls Royce" of the commercial world, you paid more but you alsogot more, in terms of better engineering.

Remember every Rolls Royce Merlin that flew in WW2 had it final drive gears ground by AEC.

Here here Mike.

Thank you for the info regarding the Merlin engines,truely you do learn something new everyday!!!

I shed tears with the passing of AEC. I could not understand why a manufacturer of such good quality vehicles could disappear. Thirty odd years later understanding the industrial politics of the 70's you realise it was a crime...

Here here Mike.

Thank you for the info regarding the Merlin engines,truely you do learn something new everyday!!!

I shed tears with the passing of AEC. I could not understand why a manufacturer of such good quality vehicles could disappear. Thirty odd years later understanding the industrial politics of the 70's you realise it was a crime...

The gears were actually ground by The British Gear Grinding and Manufacturing Company, which was a subsiduary of AEC.

There factory was at Southall in the shadow of AEC's parent works, but they had a shadow factory at Hillingdon.

Apart from Merlin gears, they also ground the gears for the Griffon and the Napier Sabre engines. I don't know about later in the war but AEC claim that every Spitfire and Hurricane flying during the Battle of Britain, had gears they had ground.

Edited by antarmike