James May to build full-size Airfix Spitfire kit!

N.O.S.

Tuesday, 8pm BBC2 - James May will supervise the construction of a full-size Airfix style Spitfire kit. Should be interesting. I'd quite like one of those.

I've started saving for the B17G model - if it ever gets released.

I can't wait for the bit where he hammers a recovery anchor pin into the unopened gigantor tube of styrene adhesive (going on my past experience) :cool2:

Will they sell him the polystyrene glue, in the quantity he will need? With all the glue sniffing nonsense he might have trouble getting hold of five gallons in one go!

Also Mike - how thick has the cat gut got to be to hang it from his bedroom ceiling. In fact how blooming big is his bedroom???!!!

Somewhere on the net, there's a quite famous picture of a Spitfire with Beer barrels slung under the wings, carrying beer to the guys just after Normandy I think. So unusual objects hanging off planes isn't so unusual!

I've seen the photo some years ago. I remember it because the Beer was supplied by Simmonds Brewery in Reading, Berks, where I live.

The photos of it are here http://bogen.org/gallery/v/misc_other_pictures/spitfire_beer_truck/

Edited by woa2
I found the photo

Talk of beer barrels reminds me of the cartoon mural at a former Luftwaffe air base in Germany of Goering sitting astride a bomber with a beer barrel under each arm. I have a photo of it so I'll try and remember to scan and post it in the aviation section.

I spoke to James May at Goodwood last month. Same off screen as on and a very friendly approachable chap. Mind you we had laugh at the expense of one of his Top Gear colleagues whom I worked with many moons ago.

Which reminds me I must finish my sons 1/35 scale UH1H Huey which has been rested for some eight months, glue should have set by now!!

H1HU

What a brilliant programme!!!!!! How funny was the pilot model of him? His face when the Spit was towed gingerly out of the hanger was awesome :) and when he landed after flying that Spitfire, my first words would have been

"oh my ******* God I have just flown a Spitfire ******* ******** *******" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Loved how he got the children involved as well, the littlie lad who didnt want his tank blown up in the film they made, bless him.