James May to build full-size Airfix Spitfire kit!

N.O.S.

I'm just wondering how much of that program was 'engineered' for TV audiences? The Spitfire/canoe maunfacturer would have known that Polyester resin would dissolve expanded polystyrene, but he could have used styrofoam or epoxy resin as alternatives. As for a bracing structure inside the glass, he would have been better looking at R/C modelling for construction tips as they would have been much more appropriate and practical.

Enjoyable program regardless, and hats off to him for getting kids to make stuff instead of pressing buttons on a computer and expecting a machine to do it all for you. Kids need to be taught patience, not instant gratification ( from someone who has just spent two weeks applying 25,000 1/4 scale rivets! )

The B-17 breaks down into useful transport joints, so it's possible. You fund it and I'll build it!

I'm having nothing to do with this - it's starting to get dangerously out of hand, and as Jack knows I can so easily get led astray.....

I wonder how much it could be built for :coffee:

New clubhouse lounge and bar maybe?

When they made the 'Memphis Belle' film in 1989, they had a mock up fuselage made for filming. I'm sure I read that is cost about the same as a wartime B-17 - $300,000. So adding wings and tail into that. I'm sure I could knock one up for you for around £750,000 at a rough guess, allowing for inflation. Please PM me for a more accurate quote :whistle: