ferret brakes

haybaggerman

Hi All

I've found a leak in the 8mm copper brake pipe that runs along the hull bottom. Problem is it is right under the transfer box. Anyway, it means I have to join a new piece of pipe in there.

Everyone seems to do 8mm copper pipe (actually it isn't imperial but just about 8mm, with 6mm interior diameter) but not the joiners. I've got a small flaring tool which will get in there but not much good if there arn't any fittings.

Has anyone used fittings with olives on their brakes? Would that be reliable when you step on the brakes in an emergency?

Thanks for any tips or suggested sources of parts.

Paul

Hi All

I've found a leak in the 8mm copper brake pipe that runs along the hull bottom. Problem is it is right under the transfer box. Anyway, it means I have to join a new piece of pipe in there.

Everyone seems to do 8mm copper pipe (actually it isn't imperial but just about 8mm, with 6mm interior diameter) but not the joiners. I've got a small flaring tool which will get in there but not much good if there arn't any fittings.

Has anyone used fittings with olives on their brakes? Would that be reliable when you step on the brakes in an emergency?

Thanks for any tips or suggested sources of parts.

Paul

Paul,

It will not be 8mm pipe. It would be 5/16" I think, definitely not metric for sure. Do not use olives, the pressure is too great and safety is paramount. You can obtain the correct tube nuts and male/male adaptors so should be able to join at a convenient position.

Might be more aggro, but I'd suggest binning the whole section and replacing it. You might want to check the other lines too....

Gordon

I had assumed that I couldn't get the the rear section of pipe with the engine in place, but, I'll have a closer look now

Thanks

Paul

Ever tried to stop a Ferret going down hill, even with good brakes? Never take a chance, get it sorted with one piece of pipe. Its very easy when removing the gearbox to crush the pipe when the lugs come off the trunnions, so put some wood underneath.

If its 5/16 kunifer brake pipe your after try ebay I payed £25 for 25ft. Not

to sure if this is a good price but it got the job done.

Clive

Found that on ebay, I'll give them a call, thanks Clive.

Its probably just as well that I've stripped everything out of the interior to get to this leak as I've found a slight oil leak in the transmission as well, I was thinking I would open it up and some instant ghasket would do the trick here?

I've just fitted electronic ignition but the brakes gave out immediately so havn't had a chance to even get out of 1st gear yet. Engine sounds alot better though. Is there a scientific reason why as soon as you've fixed one thing, another goes wrong?

Paul

I had similar problems on my saracen, with brake pipes resembling mutated penny-whistles!, change the whole length, for safety's sake, the main feed from the power-valve/cut-out (equivalent to master cylinder), on a saracen is about 10ft, and weaves in/out under everything under the floor, and I did it without removing engine/box etc, and it worked.....oh I got my pipe and fittings from a local hydraulic hose fitting company, very cheap, they made up the pipes, with fittings, and bent them to shape, ...for a crate of beer.

True what is said though...I have to take the gearbox out to replace it now,and to do that, the front armour and engine need removing too, it'll keep me busy for the winter, I suppose!:cry:

You can't put me off OILY, I still want a saracen

I'm going to replace the whole pipe, after looking down past the engine I can just about reach the fitting. Then, drain the transmission, take the end off and re ghasket it, put it all back together, paint everything in sight while it is still in sight, put back all interior fittings after painting them and hey presto, might be able to go for a drive and test the electronic ignition at last. However, an easy job compared to yours I think

Cheers

Paul

....-wasn't trying to put you off saracens!, I think everyone should have one!:-D, They are LOVELY! :cool2: beasts to own and drive about, yes even on the main roads!.....go ahead, get one (while you still can! ....very few around now!):cry:

....-wasn't trying to put you off saracens!, I think everyone should have one!:-D, They are LOVELY! :cool2: beasts to own and drive about, yes even on the main roads!.....go ahead, get one (while you still can! ....very few around now!):cry:

Right, I'm getting to get one................. as soon as you send me the money or convince the missus who says I have to finish my other projects first.

• 3 months later...

At last I've done the brakes, a bit fiddly here and there, in fact a real pain, but all is working, the brakes even bled themselves which suprised me.

Now the leak in the transmission box which I'm thinking will be easier.

It was just good to get a job done even though its been waiting for 6 months or so, roll on summer:)

Cheers

Paul