Exhaust paint ?

philb

Question

I've tried all sorts of so-called exhaust paints and they all seem to fail for one reason or another. The "very high temperature" ones don't peel but they seem to be porous - so the parts rust. The only non-porous paint I found didn't stand the temperature (even of a diesel) and seemed to be porous anyway. Enough grumbling, do any of you know of an affordable, readily applied (air drying, brushed, ideally), heat resistant, non-porous, durable paint? :???

Cheers,

Phil

18 answers to this question

Thanks, chaps.

I haven't tried barbecue paint, I might give that a test.

Tony, I guess you are referring to ceramic coating? It appears to be very good but is a tad expensive - a couple of hundred quid to do the Mat exhaust and manifolds.

Any other advice welcome.

Phil

:-D

Thanks, chaps.

I haven't tried barbecue paint, I might give that a test.

Tony, I guess you are referring to ceramic coating? It appears to be very good but is a tad expensive - a couple of hundred quid to do the Mat exhaust and manifolds.

Any other advice welcome.

Phil

Start saving the pennies? :cool2:

Not much use for MT but a bit of info. Read a couple of books recently about WW2 night fighters , to help stop the Hurricane exhaust stubs glowing red in the dark they were coated with red lead paint after every sortie. I suppose this would be the real red lead paint now almost impossible to obtain.