Whats the difference ?

R Cubed

Question

Sorry to put this but I have been looking for AF hex socket sets and have discovered listings for a 1/2" Witworth socket and also a 1/2" AF socket

( not the square drive bit ) errrr how much difference is there in the bolt head size, is it the same or completely different thing !!!!!

Sorry to post this, I think this is going to make me look very silly .......

12 answers to this question

1/2" AF is the size "across flats" of the bolt head 1/2" Whit is the size of the bolt. so the two are completly different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/whitworth.html

http://homepages.tesco.net/~A10bsa/intro.htm

Just looked at the links .................

Aggggghhhhhhhh

:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

Thanks ( I think )

1/2" Whit is the size of the bolt. so the two are completly different.

Not quite as straightforward as that I'm afraid. Whitworth head and thread diameter changed and then you will find that for instance 1/2" Whit is not 1/2" thread. Any easy one, 1/4" Whit bolt available now, uses a 3/16" Whit spanner ( same goes for BSF ). I am using Whitworth spanners and BSF threads everyday so well aquainted with spanner sizes to thread.

Not quite as straightforward as that I'm afraid. Whitworth head and thread diameter changed and then you will find that for instance 1/2" Whit is not 1/2" thread. Any easy one, 1/4" Whit bolt available now, uses a 3/16" Whit spanner ( same goes for BSF ). I am using Whitworth spanners and BSF threads everyday so well aquainted with spanner sizes to thread.

That's why I found some links to use. Metric didn't ease the confusion, it just added to it:coffee:

Right, well that's sort of cleared that up !!!

Next I have always used Britool tools, do have a few others inc King Dick which I have been looking at, what do you all knowing ones out there think, I am aware of Snap-on too, so just some ideas of quality and variety of AF Metric 6 point sockets and rings/combinations open endeds.

cheers

Have to agree with Tony there - I bought my brother two small ratchet drives last Christmas - he'd asked for a 1/4" & a 3/8" I bought them from Halfords as they were far better than others I tried from other suppliers and had very fine smooth operating ratchets in them . Begin to wish I'd bought myself one !

I thought AF stood for 'american fine'.........

No AF as in a 1/2" AF spanner is Across Flats, ie the physical size of the head or the spanner jaw width to fit it.

The Threads you are likely to come across that have across flats sizes in imperial measurements are UNF (Unified National Fine) or UNC (Unified National Course). Practically, UNF and UNC start at 1/4" OD. *

There are two American threads, ANC (American National Course) and ANF (American National Fine.)

These are avaialble in two series, the number series and the fractional series. The Number series identified by Numbers not a thread size.

No1 ANC has an OD of 0.0750 and this series goes to No.12 ANC whose diameter OD is 0.2160"

No 0 ANF has an OD of 0.060", No1 is 0.0730" etc

and this series runs up to No 12 ANF which has a diameter of 0.2160

You are very unlikely to ever come across the ANC/ ANF Number series threads. They fill the gap below 1/4" diameter threads.

Larger ( fractional) ANF / ANC Threads exist and these closely resemble UNF/UNC but have differences in the root and crest of the thread form but share the 60 degree flank angle and for most diameters share TPI with UNF and UNC. You might find these in OD from 1/4" up to 2"

* there is also a number series for Unified National threads (UNF/UNC). These being No 1 to No 12 for UNC and No 0 to No 12 for UNF. You are unlikely to ever come across them, but their OD's match the ANF/ANC number series.

Edited by antarmike

* there is also a number series for Unified National threads (UNF/UNC). These being No 1 to No 12 for UNC and No 0 to No 12 for UNF. You are unlikely to ever come across them,

To owners of CVR(W) Fox in particular, the pesky little screws that secure the internal sheet metal work, are Unified NF and NC number sizes. No.10 NC for those that are tapped into the hull and No.10 NF used where panels secure to other panels with captive nuts. The fine thread resembles 2BA in size, but TPI is different.