AEC Tipper help!!

I've just arrived via a Google search for MkI Militants.

Anyone want to offer any comment on this found in a 'collection' of similar vehicles (not all ex-military and some considerably more recent):-

imgp2763.jpg

I don't know whether what I have typed will work (or whether you will be able to see it without registering for 'Buck and Truss').

Be gentle with me if I'm doing it wrong . . .

It looks like the tipper body from an Aveling Barford Dumptruck, not an original tipper body for a Militant Mk1

Just noticed the hydraulic pump is driven off the front of the engine, so not an original tipper and it appears to be a long wheelbase chassis.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Yes, the photo is 'current'.

I believe that someone has 'fixed' the windscreen glasses - but it bears signs of being a MkI Militant.

I agree that the tipper body 'doesn't sit right' - and may well be from an Aveling Barford.

The front-mounted pump is also 'non-original' - but might have been a 'fix' if the original PTO was u/s.

Just noticed that there are no wipers . . .

Edited by G-CPTN

I've just arrived via a Google search for MkI Militants.

Anyone want to offer any comment on this found in a 'collection' of similar vehicles (not all ex-military and some considerably more recent):-

imgp2763.jpg

I don't know whether what I have typed will work (or whether you will be able to see it without registering for 'Buck and Truss').

Be gentle with me if I'm doing it wrong . . .

Nothing like the bodies we had on ours in 215. The overhang should be just over the roof of the cab and the tipper body itself was a 3-way unit.

• 2 weeks later...
nggshowCACPX2OR.jpg

THis is what the AEC MilItant tipper should look like

Err...no ! That was a one of conversion for trials using the same body as the Aveling Barford Dumptruck, it came from MVEE or MEXE, the photo shows it when owned by Pete Gaine, many years ago. He also owned the Militant gun tractor to the right, and the Bedford OY. Both Militants were sold off and went to work, I think in forestry or similar duty.

Edited by Richard Farrant
wrong name of vehicle

Err...no ! That was a one of conversion for trials using the same body as the Aveling Barford Dumptruck, it came from MVEE or MEXE, the photo shows it when owned by Pete Gaine, many years ago. He also owned the Militant gun tractor to the right, and the Bedford OY. Both Matadors were sold off and went to work, I think in forestry or similar duty.

My mistake, but it isn't the same body, it may be the same body modified, but there is far less steel in the support for the cab protection. Maybe a lot of steel has had to be cut away to clear the doors, but it isn't just the AB body dropped on.

aveling-barford-690-dump-truck-00-f.jpg

Both MATADORS sold off??

Edited by antarmike

My mistake, but it isn't the same body, it may be the same body modified, but there is far less steel in the support for the cab protection. Maybe a lot of steel has had to be cut away to clear the doors, but it isn't just the AB body dropped on.

Both MATADORS sold off??

Sorry Mike, I meant Militants, corrected now.

I think the body was fitted as trial of its performance prior to the Aveling Barford coming into service, I have a photo of it at MEXE, which I think has been posted up before on another thread, so it might have detail differences.

If memory serves - there were two types of tipper body fitted to the short wheelbase Militant Mk1. One type was purely end-unloading whereas the other was a "3-Way unit" meaning you had to be careful and look where the pins were before operating the ram. I know one hapless driver (not me before every one jumps to conclusions!!) who did't and off-loaded 6 tons of ballast onto an RE Landrover parked beside instead of the hole behind him.... Only reason the whole 10 tons didn't come out was the gate locks for the sides were still closed. :)

Both bodies were square ended at the rear, not cut away like the AB ones in the photographs. Designations were FV 11004 - Truck 10 ton General Service Tipper ( End Only ) 6x4 and FV 11005 -Truck 10 ton General Service Tipper ( Three Way ) 6x4. We had the 11005 ones when I was with 215 Sqdn

I think the body was fitted as trial of its performance prior to the Aveling Barford coming into service, I have a photo of it at MEXE, which I think has been posted up before on another thread, so it might have detail differences.

Just found my post with photo of the scow end bodied Militant, while at MEXE.

It is on the thread, AEC Militant MK1 Gallery, post #409