WW2 Rebuilds - Imperial or Metric?

Wolfy

Hey Folks,

Do you guys keep imperial or go to metric (where feasible) on your WW2 rebuilds?

I now have my 42 Jeep project :) and I usually swap nuts and bolts on my projects for stainless steel where strength isnt a concern.

As I am all tooled up for metric I plan on swapping most to this but will avoid the blue nylocs.

I know many die hards will keep imperial which is cool, just curious to see what most are doing these days. :thumbsup:

Colt

Do you guys keep imperial or go to metric (where feasible) on your WW2 rebuilds?

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

No, no, no :nono:

Colt, you will have bolts that do not fit holes correctly, giving chance of movement, miss alignment, etc. Never know which spanner to use, get National Coarse nuts and bolts mixed with metric, if dismantling at anytime. Put these thoughts out of your head and stick to the appropriate threads for the vehicle..........unless of couse it is a Land Rover 90/110, where they still used BSF, Unified and Metric.

Colt,

I'm with Richard on this one, stick with what it's meant to have, and avoid metric at all costs. UNF and UNC are still readily available, but if you have problems tracking them down I can give you some supplier names.

Thanks Guys,

Very interesting, I hadnt anticipated such a strong 'for' argument for Imperial. I did buy a set of imperial ring spanners today so its a step in the right direction.

Could someone post or pm some suppliers if possible so I can do some costings.

Cheers

Colt

Thanks Guys,

Very interesting, I hadnt anticipated such a strong 'for' argument for Imperial. I did buy a set of imperial ring spanners today so its a step in the right direction.

Could someone post or pm some suppliers if possible so I can do some costings.

Cheers

Colt

Colt,

what part of the country are you in?

Cheers

G506

Harder to obtain and as a result quite often a lot more expensive that's what I've found with imperial as opposed to metric.

What are peoples views on using zinc plated bolts on WWII stuff? Were all original bolts plain black finish?

Makes sense in this day and age to use plated were available for corrosion protection. Seeing as most seem to be painted over anyway who's going to know the difference?

I don't buy anything other than UNF / UNC for my trucks unless they are really impossible to find. Even then I've been known to buy metric and re-thread it.

You can find almost any UNF or UNC thread, but there are a few exceptions, such as wingnuts and coach bolts. 7/16" stuff normally has to be bought and re-threaded, and there is one sub-1/4" UNF size that is impossible - either 10 or 12 gauge - I forget which. That size is common on WW2 Dodges, especially doors, locks, bodywork, and rear window winders on Carryalls.

I learned over the years to take all my vehicles apart with a gas torch, and in extreme cases to sacrifice fittings to retrieve fasteners of a pattern that you can't get any more.

E-Bay for nuts, bolts, taps, dies, spanners - you name it.

Gordon

You can buy the harder to find small sizes from aviation outlets as no. 6 to 12 are still standard. They are expensive though!

Another option is the hardware section of Amazon USA. Not all sellers will dispatch to the UK but you can find most things there for US sizes.

BSF is getting harder now but there is still a lot about if you look hard enough.

I pride myself on almost never needing to dismantle with the gas. It is unusual for me to not be able to at least save the bolt.

I pride myself on almost never needing to dismantle with the gas. It is unusual for me to not be able to at least save the bolt.

Same here, Adrian. Using heat can often cause more problems to the thread. Patience and a good release fluid........I am stripping a vehicle now, and considering it is 67 years old and been out of use for about 40 years, I have only had to drill out a few awkward ones so far. All BSF too.

UNF/UNC? Ha!!, piece of cake. My Morris CD/SW engine had been in a field for 30 years and every fastener had rusted to hell. And what did Morris use? Metric Threads (thank you Hotchkiss) with Whit hexagons (thank you Lord Nuffield). Had to make every single bolt (and more than a few nuts) from scratch using imperial bar. Marvellous.... I suppose that it made the Germans happy though, seeing as they were the main end users.

UNF/UNC? Ha!!, piece of cake. My Morris CD/SW engine had been in a field for 30 years and every fastener had rusted to hell. And what did Morris use? Metric Threads (thank you Hotchkiss) with Whit hexagons (thank you Lord Nuffield). Had to make every single bolt (and more than a few nuts) from scratch using imperial bar. Marvellous.... I suppose that it made the Germans happy though, seeing as they were the main end users.

Stefano,

you obviously like a challenge! If it were easy, everybody would do it....:-D