Passenger insurance for 'in the back'.

Sorry Jack and everyone else. Looking back at my wording, it is confusing. You are only liable for points if people are sitting on things that are not proper seats for the vehicle. So bench and folding etc are fine. Sat on wheel arches or in the back on the floor is where the problem starts.

Dave

• 8 months later...

Hi

Sorry to wake this one up again but I'm afraid I'm still confused.

I have a bed settee in the back of my Reo and it is screwed in so I wonder if this would satisfy the 'proper' seat requirement?

It's just that Madam and I are going to a show and our daughter wants to bring a friend.Madam is happy to read in the back but I don't want any official aggro!

M

...as for weeing at the side of the road, the only persons legally permitted to do so, are:

a) a coach driver, but the coach must have no passengers onboard, the wheels steered toward the curb, and the driver is only supposed to urinate against the lowest part of the tread about to contact the road surface.

and

b) as someone rightly said earlier, a pregnant lady.:-|

Hi

Sorry to wake this one up again but I'm afraid I'm still confused.

I have a bed settee in the back of my Reo and it is screwed in so I wonder if this would satisfy the 'proper' seat requirement?

It's just that Madam and I are going to a show and our daughter wants to bring a friend.Madam is happy to read in the back but I don't want any official aggro!

M

What does the seating capacity state on the V5 & is the bed fitted with a seat belt:-D

...as for weeing at the side of the road, the only persons legally permitted to do so, are:

a) a coach driver, but the coach must have no passengers onboard, the wheels steered toward the curb, and the driver is only supposed to urinate against the lowest part of the tread about to contact the road surface.

and

I thought April 1st was long gone

You dont state whether or not you wish to carry fare paying passengers?

Ime in the process of insuring my 432 to carry fare paying passengers and it will all depend on how many people you declare for seating, although it can seat 10 if you declare 7 you go on a minibus hire and reward licence.

My advice would be try your local council hackney people if thats what you want to do

If you just want to throw a few in the back on private land for a jolly, i cant see a problem

If its for private use you dont have a problem . Hire&Reward your screwed if stopped by Vosa .

It dosent really matter how many seats it says on your V5, Vosa work of seating space , they go by 400mm per person . if your passenger seats total exceeds 8 passengers then its capable of carrying more and you are a psv and as such you need a psv licence , insurance and COIF. dosent matter if you only ever carry 8 or under. I know of many that have been cought out by this and prosecuted . answer is to remove some seats so only 8 can be seated.

If in doubt on any hire&Reward issues join limo chat forum , same as here all very helpfull , but you wont get the answers you want . Many people spending 100,000 of thousands of pounds have tried to do what you are trying and failed . any many still do it illegally though.

If its for private use you dont have a problem . Hire&Reward your screwed if stopped by Vosa .

It dosent really matter how many seats it says on your V5, Vosa work of seating space , they go by 400mm per person . if your passenger seats total exceeds 8 passengers then its capable of carrying more and you are a psv and as such you need a psv licence , insurance and COIF. dosent matter if you only ever carry 8 or under. I know of many that have been cought out by this and prosecuted . answer is to remove some seats so only 8 can be seated.

If in doubt on any hire&Reward issues join limo chat forum , same as here all very helpfull , but you wont get the answers you want . Many people spending 100,000 of thousands of pounds have tried to do what you are trying and failed . any many still do it illegally though.

And every other week we seem to hear of some driver or other in Manchester being prosecuted, having the vehicle seized or both. The 'authority's' r all over this particular subject like a rash with a rash on top of it

I thought you could do that on a motor vehicle as long as you had your right hand on said vehicle at the time?

(Unless you're pregnant, which entitles you to wee wherever you like!)[/QUOTE]

Does' that include INSIDE the vehicle?.........:D

In which case, 'Your sitting in the BACK of the truck. Seats or no seats'!....:cool2:

and

From what I read, this entitlement is not open to Coach drivers, merely Hackney Carraidge drivers, it is the nearside rear wheel, so it cannot be steered into the kerb, It only applies to London, and only after 10.00 if no Public Convenience can be found.. (from the BBC trust them if you will!)

I checked very recently on the question of insurance of passengers in a lwb GMC This can carry 12 in the back on folding troop seats and 3 in the cab.

The insurance company (a well-known classic mv insurer) will only cover driver plus 8 passengers. Quite sensible when you think about it, and ties in with the psv regs.

So worth checking with your insurer to make sure!!