Garage Roof repairs

woa2

My wooden Garage roof needs recovering (this is my workshop). I have used the same roofing material as the builder used for repairs, but this tears as soon as I touch it, so is a real pain to use. Can anyone suggest an alternative roof covering that doesn't tear so easily? The garage has a pitched roof and is 25 feet long by 12 feet wide. Any suggestions appreciated.

The roofing felt comes in different thicknesses, the thin stuff is like an underlay although it's sometimes used as top surface for little things like rabbit or guinea pig hutches. I've seen it used on shed roofs though, sometimes with battens running down the slope. Seems a bit of a cheap option and won't put up with many years of use IMHO. Last time I did my shed (well, sheds, as another one went up near it, and then both were joined, so now it's just one expanse of roof), I used the thin stuff with bitumen to stick it down, then the much thicker mineral coated felt was nailed down to finish it off. Don't worry about nailing, the felt nails don't let anything through. I got all mine from a local builders merchant, along with a huge tub of cold setting bitumen goo. I'd have borrowed a pitch boiler off a mate and done it with hot tar but it was in use when I needed it. It can all be a bit cumbersome to collect and manhandle so you might even get the local trade place to drop it off for you.

Wilkinsons usually have stuff in at a good price. Googling will come up with hints and tips to felt a shed/garage. don't be tempted to use poly sheeting or anything. IMHO, felting lasts longer and looks better. It's a great feeling of accomplishment to stand back and see it finished in green mineral felt as well. Easily done in a day, need a couple of pairs of riggers gloves (second pair for laying the mineral top coat otherwise you leave tarry smudge marks all over), and something for the knees, oh the knees really suffer otherwise :) A person to bring trays of tea helps as well :)

Steel sheets are the best. I've done my workshop in them. You can have any colour you like and they will last for years. Try Southern Sheeting Supplies located in East Grinstead, near Gatwick. 01342 315300. Hope this helps.

Agree with the above, to make a good job splash out on some of the fire resistant polyisocyanurate foam (Celotex or similar) rigid insulation boards to put under the sheets, even 25mm will have a significant effect on you comfort levels, just use longer fixings, roofing supplier will advise on that.

Some roofing sheets come with it factory applied to the underside.