my favorite truck british and canada

sylrgm

I'm biased, I guess, but I enjoy seeing the Brit and Canadian vehicles at shows,...............great thing is numbers seem to be increasing :)

As to my favourite,...........well, whilst I think I'd like an Albion CX225/FN15N, being realistic, I wonder if I could live with one,......ditto a Matador.

(by this I'm meaning working on them and storing them)

Having looked to part with my Bedford, in the past, I guess I'm not ready to let her go, so..............:-D

Andy

I must admit that the Matador has to get my vote... I cannot think of another softskin British vehicle of WW2 which fulfilled it's tasks as competently as this one.It was judged so after the war by the allies as a decisive piece of equipment. Power,reliability,economy... She posessed all these qualities.I also think it has a ruggedly handsome look,but I am a little biased working with AEC trucks in the 70's and 80's.

Please put your favourites forward because there are many other great trucks that deserve a mention.

Leaving aside Airfix inspired sentiments over a Matador, for me it would have to be a Bedford OY

not really up on Canadians but any 15cwt CMP type would do

OY 'aint it working this time? Sorry I'm afraid I consider any American vehicle of the Forties to be superior to any British truck.

(rapid digging of deep trench with overhead protoection)

Well the Americans DID have plenty of time to produce their vehicles, did they not,.............not forgetting to mention they had no Blitz to worry about;

For ANY Brit wwii vehicle to still be motoring, if you think about it, is amazing, in so far as after the war, and don't forget most were adapted pre war civilian motors, they were put to use by the vehicle starved buisness folk.

American vehicles, on the other hand, by and large, were left to re-equip armys in europe, and in a lot of cases, were moth-balled for years.

This is NOT a 'pop' at american vehicles etc, just my take on things. :)

Andy

OY 'aint it working this time? Sorry I'm afraid I consider any American vehicle of the Forties to be superior to any British truck.

Very true, as mentioned on another thread the US used and still use heavy trucks for long range transport, the UK used railways. For Britsh 'trucks' I'd say the best types were the various Tillys. Proven commercial mechanics. Though the Quads were very advanced vehicles for their age and proved to be superb.

Tony,just a couple of points.

This is not about a comparison between U.S. and British vehicles,this is just a debate about which your favourite British/Canadian vehicle is.

I do not agree with your opinion of any American vehicle being superior to any British truck.

Take the Matador for example,do you honestly believe a CCKW Jimmy is a better vehicle? Diesel engine v petrol, air brakes v hydraulic. I know of vehicles still working everyday with the original engine!

I like all the vehicles from this era and I am negotiating the purchase of a Jimmy,maybe an equal but certainly not superior.

Please Tony, don't be narrow minded...:tup::