• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was wondering if any one could tell me if my son with his car lcsence 3.5 ton drive my scammell explorer :confused: the lorry was built in 1950

According to the latest edition of the FTA Yearbook of Road Transport Law, a goods vehicle manufactured before 1st Jan 1960 (now called a vintage goods vehicle) when used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer can be driven without C or C+E, the only restriction is that the normal age limits apply, he must therefore be aged 21 or over.

Hope this helps

According to the latest edition of the FTA Yearbook of Road Transport Law, a goods vehicle manufactured before 1st Jan 1960 (now called a vintage goods vehicle) when used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer can be driven without C or C+E, the only restriction is that the normal age limits apply, he must therefore be aged 21 or over.

Hope this helps

Reference to that. does it add the bit 'and a minimum of three years?'

Reference to that. does it add the bit 'and a minimum of three years?'

Nope, it just says

"Drivers may be exempt from the need to hold category C or C+E entitlement for certain vehicles but note the normal age restrictions still apply"

There is also a note that if the licence holder is only permitted to drive vehicles with automatic transmission then they may only drive the vehicles listed if they are fitted with automatic transmission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have towed a caravan with the RL and not been stopped but have heard of someone who had a tool box loose in the back of their truck and were done as per carrying a load.

I have heard of people bolting a couple of camp beds and a cooker to the floor and calling the vehicle a camper.

does the no towing apply to a caravan or living trailer ie a bed and cooking facilitys as this also seems to a gray area :confused:

I don't know the definition of a caravan, but a 'living van' is considered to be an unladen trailer as long as it contains only personal effects, and nothing else. I researched this to confirm it many years ago but don't have the sources to hand now.

"living van" means a vehicle whether mechanically propelled or not which

is used as living accommodation by one or more persons, and which is

also used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by

such one or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle.

some good info here, not specific to us but possibly makes things clearer??

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-mot.shtml

Edited by gritineye

As well as the military vehicles I also have a steam roller and the rules for them are the same as those for the heavey vehicles driven on a car licences. You can tow only one trailer behind a steam roller plus a water bowser but as the law stands is you where to leave a single spanner on the bowser when towed it would break the law the bowser is as far as the law is concerned not there as it is only for carring water. The tailer for a roller can carry a living van which can carry toolsbut it can not carry any goods.The same I believe is true for the HGVs you can carry what is used for the vehicle so long as you are not carring a load.I would get in touch with the DVLA tio check for sure as they are changing the rules .

Now to confuse the issue well and truly!

There is an ugly rumour circulating that our Euro-obsessive Gov't are planning to fall in line with EEC policies to scrap national driving licenses by 2012 replacing them with a standard European issued license. As such it is expected that all the so-called "grandfather rights" inherited by pre 1997 license holders will be erased and those rights will then be subject to to taking the relevant test!!

Do they ever apply these regulations retroactively though? I'm not sure how happy people would be with having half their entitlements taken away - we don't force holders of old licenses to meet the current standards to continue driving, f'rexample. My granddad was telling me about his driving test (a trip around the block with the emergency stop tested by the examiner jumping out of a bush into the middle of the road with his palm extended!) and his license is still current.

Not to set the cat among the pigeons too much, but what about tachographs? How many of us lot have vehicles less than 25 years old but above 7.5t MAM? By the new rules all these require a tachograph if they're not under another exemption, but do you have to fit one if you were previously (legally) running without one? :???

Stone

Now to confuse the issue well and truly!

There is an ugly rumour circulating that our Euro-obsessive Gov't are planning to fall in line with EEC policies to scrap national driving licenses by 2012 replacing them with a standard European issued license. As such it is expected that all the so-called "grandfather rights" inherited by pre 1997 license holders will be erased and those rights will then be subject to to taking the relevant test!!

This would not surprise me in the least, there have been rumours recently regarding agricultural trailers and making them subject to testing, in my experience most of these rumours usually have a basis in fact and sooner or later come into being. One exception to this has been the grandfather rights enjoyed by HGV drivers, back in the early seventies it was announced that the rights were time limited and all drivers would have to eventually take a test but this has not so far happened and I suppose by now the greater majority of HGV drivers will have passed a test. Although I could have claimed grandfather rights but partly because of this announcement I voluntarily submitted myself to the test.

Have you ever know our govenment to ask us about anything they want to impliment. If you look at either France or Spain neither of them take on any of teh EU regs unless it is of advantage to them unlike us who take every thing without any comment or complaint. If they do try this. we should all take our vehicles tot eh centre of London and park outside the houses of Paliment. I would love to have the kind of national identity the French have, they dont take any guff off there govenment or any other for that matter.

Have you ever know our govenment to ask us about anything they want to impliment. If you look at either France or Spain neither of them take on any of teh EU regs unless it is of advantage to them unlike us who take every thing without any comment or complaint. If they do try this. we should all take our vehicles tot eh centre of London and park outside the houses of Paliment. I would love to have the kind of national identity the French have, they dont take any guff off there govenment or any other for that matter.

Very true, I used to be very anti French but have come to realise that the French Govt puts their own citizens interests first, something that seems to be completely alien to the incompetents in Westminster.

• 2 weeks later...

i have found that the minute that you pass you relivent test they seem to introduce some new legislation or refresher course that you must attend in order to do your job ,:argh: and it allways costs something, they must need the money:argh::argh:so you dont just loose your pay but you have got to pay for the privalage.

i have found that the minute that you pass you relivent test they seem to introduce some new legislation or refresher course that you must attend in order to do your job ,:argh: and it allways costs something, they must need the money:argh::argh:so you dont just loose your pay but you have got to pay for the privalage.

I couldn't agree with that more. Apart from being a transport manager I drive and repair tankers for a living. While I enjoy my work; I'm becoming increasingly depressed about the way this country is heading. There are more and more regulations being introduced that are taking the enjoyment out of an otherwise pleasant and often interesting job.

Quite sensibly I have to have a medical every five years to renew my license. I will soon have to take a driving test every five years consisting of a 35 hour course, and four hours of written and practical examination; just to continue to earn a living. When we are working we have to comply with the European Drivers hours regulations and we are one of the few industries that is also controlled by the European Working Time Directive. A bit like swinging in a tree trying to stop a crocodile biting your arse, and having a snake coming down the tree to get you.

While we are working we have V.O.S.A. watching us, the police, trading standards, Customs and Excise, HSE, Environmental Health, The Environment Agency, ADR regulations, drivers hours, speed cameras, weight restrictions to comply with (Local), road tolls, increasingly bad roads to drive on, hedges and trees that are growing further and further into the roads which means that on some of the main roads we drive on; we now have to slow down to pass oncoming trucks. The latest is being approached by "Traffic Wardens" while waiting with a tanker to get on to our forecourts to carry out a delivery; and being told, "You can't park there" Explaining that you are waiting to do a delivery brings the same reply.

We seem to be losing the right to protest about the ever increasing legislation we are being bogged down with. Fuel blockades are now controlled by anti terrorist laws. No doubt if our farmers did what the French do they would fall under the same laws.

While I understand the need to control safety of the general public, I can't help thinking that most of these rules are, as a result of the confusion they can cause, easily broken, easily detected and carry large fines. It's human nature to make minor mistakes, and there's always a vulture circling overhead waiting to pick the flesh from your bones.

New legislation to protect is a good idea, but it always relies on human nature to inadvertantly break the rules, is enforced by Gestapo like tactics and ALWAYS carries a large fine. I can't help feeling that legislation is introduced after a careful study of the income it's likely to create.

I hope this post isn't too political and likely to be deleted. If it is then I give up. :-( Call me a whinging ar*ehole if you like, but if you are honest then no doubt you will agree with my comments. :-(:-(

I couldn't agree with that more. Apart from being a transport manager I drive and repair tankers for a living. While I enjoy my work; I'm becoming increasingly depressed about the way this country is heading. There are more and more regulations being introduced that are taking the enjoyment out of an otherwise pleasant and often interesting job.

Quite sensibly I have to have a medical every five years to renew my license. I will soon have to take a driving test every five years consisting of a 35 hour course, and four hours of written and practical examination; just to continue to earn a living. When we are working we have to comply with the European Drivers hours regulations and we are one of the few industries that is also controlled by the European Working Time Directive. A bit like swinging in a tree trying to stop a crocodile biting your arse, and having a snake coming down the tree to get you.

While we are working we have V.O.S.A. watching us, the police, trading standards, Customs and Excise, HSE, Environmental Health, The Environment Agency, ADR regulations, drivers hours, speed cameras, weight restrictions to comply with (Local), road tolls, increasingly bad roads to drive on, hedges and trees that are growing further and further into the roads which means that on some of the main roads we drive on; we now have to slow down to pass oncoming trucks. The latest is being approached by "Traffic Wardens" while waiting with a tanker to get on to our forecourts to carry out a delivery; and being told, "You can't park there" Explaining that you are waiting to do a delivery brings the same reply.

We seem to be losing the right to protest about the ever increasing legislation we are being bogged down with. Fuel blockades are now controlled by anti terrorist laws. No doubt if our farmers did what the French do they would fall under the same laws.

While I understand the need to control safety of the general public, I can't help thinking that most of these rules are, as a result of the confusion they can cause, easily broken, easily detected and carry large fines. It's human nature to make minor mistakes, and there's always a vulture circling overhead waiting to pick the flesh from your bones.

New legislation to protect is a good idea, but it always relies on human nature to inadvertantly break the rules, is enforced by Gestapo like tactics and ALWAYS carries a large fine. I can't help feeling that legislation is introduced after a careful study of the income it's likely to create.

I hope this post isn't too political and likely to be deleted. If it is then I give up. :-( Call me a whinging ar*ehole if you like, but if you are honest then no doubt you will agree with my comments. :-(:-(

If you're whinging, your in good company. quite a lot of people here have the Driver CPC hanging over them. All because the EEC must recognise former Eastern block liceiences.