• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seemingly!!!

I read somewhere recently a proposal that EU Gov't rotate every couple of years so that other countries get an idea of what the others are putting up with. I really cannot see any UK Gov't lasting more than a day in somewhere like Frence or Germany if such a scheme were ever viable!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seemingly!!!

I read somewhere recently a proposal that EU Gov't rotate every couple of years so that other countries get an idea of what the others are putting up with. I really cannot see any UK Gov't lasting more than a day in somewhere like Frence or Germany if such a scheme were ever viable!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know there is an old adversity with the France. But even I think shipping Westminster over there is a bit much. Poor French! :shake:

dont worry according to some, due to the climate change westminster will soon be under water then the ministers can claim for a yaght to get to work aswell as a second home. Or they will move Westminster to higher ground and we can pay for that privalidge too!:argh::argh:

Its a slow erosion of our liberties, usually the argument goes along the lines of in the case of ID cards "But if you havent anything to hide its not a problem" personally i like responding with "I havent got anything to hide, so i dont need one" anti-terrorism laws are being used to push everything through, or if its not that its because they want to conform with european ideals that most of the europeans dont even bother with.

:argh:Rant over!

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread as opposed to starting a new one, hope that's OK. I'd just like to confirm that myself- aged 21, having had a full car license for 4 years- can legally drive a unladen, pre 1960 large vehicle such as a Matador without any form of additional test, and without having to conform to any additional regulations other than those affecting me as a car driver? Well, except avoiding low bridges obviously...

And is there an upper weight (or width) limit to this, i.e. could I also drive a Diamond T or a Constructor or similar (pre 1960)?

And what about trailers- I've not got a "trailer entitlement" but could I legally tow a large empty trailer behind my hypothetical Matador?

Sorry for the questions- just find it difficult to believe in this sea of red tape we live in that I can legally hop out of a eurobox and into a heavy lorry!

If you're whinging, your in good company. quite a lot of people here have the Driver CPC hanging over them. All because the EEC must recognise former Eastern block liceiences.
Please correct me if i am wrong but i think that you only have to take the CPC if you are driving as a proffession and not as a private individual. ie you have a horsebox or a HGV being used for personal use.

Please correct me if i am wrong but i think that you only have to take the CPC if you are driving as a proffession and not as a private individual. ie you have a horsebox or a HGV being used for personal use.

Driver CPC is only required if you intend to use your vocational licence professionally (earn a living)

You are quite correct that if you drive an LGV for personal use DCPC is not required

Remember though that if you have a vocational licence you can stiil use it professionally until September 9th 2014 without DCPC. This is because you have "aquired rights" (used to be called grandfather rights)

Driver CPC is only required if you intend to use your vocational licence professionally (earn a living)

You are quite correct that if you drive an LGV for personal use DCPC is not required

Remember though that if you have a vocational licence you can stiil use it professionally until September 9th 2014 without DCPC. This is because you have "aquired rights" (used to be called grandfather rights)

Many thanks for your clarification on this subject, anything to do with driving and the law seems to get more and more confusing.

There are some new EEc regulations coming in concerning Private HGV's. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of them. The main concern seems to be 'REST'. Defined as time which you do what you want. The trouble may arise if you are working all week, then drive your toy. Have you had suficent 'REST'? The current idea sems to be that you can claim driving your toy for fun is rest. Don't know how it would stack up though. Currently though, CPC's are only required if the MAIN part of your job is driving PCV or LGV commercially. If it is only part of the job ie you are a PCV, LGV mechanic, and only drive them to and from workshops or on tests, or your a scaffolder :shake: you don't need one. Confusing or what?

And is there an upper weight (or width) limit to this, i.e. could I also drive a Diamond T or a Constructor or similar (pre 1960)?

And what about trailers- I've not got a "trailer entitlement" but could I legally tow a large empty trailer behind my hypothetical Matador?

It's all in [iNF52].

You fit into 2.1 L:

2.1 Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of

the large vehicles listed below:

(l) a goods vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer

Drivers must be aged 21 and have held a category B licence for at least 2 years.

You'd be fine driving a Matador, but you can't have ANY load on it (and if the guy who stops you wants to be clever I think the unladen trailer you're allowed to pull must weigh under 750kg as otherwise I think you'd need B+E). As long as you're very careful not to have anything considered 'a load' on board (this includes a vehicle toolkit, spares etc) you're OK - but for the avoidance of doubt it's always better to have cat C.

Stone

Cat C licence isn't a cheap option. Medical, theory test, then practicaL practical instruction and test. Say around £2000. The theory and hazard perception test certificate are valid for two years so you should consider getting that out of the way before starting practical, the LGV Handbook and LGV?PCV Theory test book from HMSO The advantage is that may also earn you a living. That will require an additional CPC.

The whole CPC is a face saving device from Europe, the value of it improved skills are nil. The Artic test is now the Cat C plus E (trailer ) entitilment.

Thankyou Stone.

May try and get my B+E at some point then, if that means I can pull a more Matador- sized trailer - be handy for dragging trailers about with Land Rovers anyway. And I'll make sure there is a lockable toolbox bolted to the vehicle, as by my reckoning they are then part of the vehicle and it's not carrying a load.

I'd like my Cat C someday but it's not really a viable option right now- I could afford the license or the Mat, but not both!

Ta :-D I can drive a Mat, that's made me happy... I also assume (from reading other threads) that they are also MOT exempt under the same conditions that I could drive one (i.e. unladen)?

Yep, just fill in a V112G, 'historic' class. Might also get free road tax if it was old enough (can't remember the date on that, 1971 rings a bell faintly?)

B+E is technically just for a vehicle up to 3500kg with a trailer above 750kg, but it might conceivably allow you to persuade the angry VOSA man if you got caught with a bigger trailer on! It would only be checked if you'd been stopped for something else (everyone would just assume you had cat C) but you'd technically need C+E to carry any load in either. Not sure if there's a limitation on trailer size under INF52 but I wouldn't want to be trying it on, I wouldn't want to get caught and forfeit the vehicle.

Tony: You can do all the tests for under £1000 but that assumes you pass first time! When I tried it was £50 for the medical, then send the licence off to get provisional for C and D (valid until 45 years of age), £35 for the multiple choice theory test, £15 for the hazard perception video test and £115 for the practical. I didn't do the CPC as it hadn't come in when I was tested but that's another £30 for theory and £55 for practical, so I make it £250 now to get tested. The training place I used was £750 for a week so it'd be relatively very cheap if you could persuade someone to lend you a truck and drive around in it with you with your L-plates on! :-D Quite a few people taking the test just need the qualification but already know how to drive one so as long as you'd got a test-spec vehicle for the day to take your test in you'd be home free.

Stone

Cat C licence isn't a cheap option. Medical, theory test, then practicaL practical instruction and test. Say around £2000. The theory and hazard perception test certificate are valid for two years so you should consider getting that out of the way before starting practical, the LGV Handbook and LGV?PCV Theory test book from HMSO The advantage is that may also earn you a living. That will require an additional CPC.

The whole CPC is a face saving device from Europe, the value of it improved skills are nil. The Artic test is now the Cat C plus E (trailer ) entitilment.

Would disagree with the value of DCPC

I am a DCPC trainer for a very large transport concern and we are putting all our driver through the training (13000 drivers)

This training is being provided free of charge to our drivers.

We started in September and have already seen benefits from the messages we are training

If done properly DCPC can be no bad thing for the road transport industry

Meet you in the bar mate. We can have a very serious discussion, two falls two submissions or a knock out! :-D

We will agree to differ then!!!

Any training of good quality must have a value

The initial qualification (for new drivers) must be an advantage , we might have drivers coming into the industry who have a small insight into the industry and have a bit of basic knowledge rather than a driver turning up for a job who doesnt have a clue about anything!!

My opinion but the drivers we have trained so far have all enjoyed the training and have learnt something, even the driver who took the course who was going to retire two weeks after!!!

As I understand it, the CPC is only required if it is the driving which is your main job. I.e., if you are, for example, a tree surgeon, and use a vehicle over 7.5 tons MAM to get to/from the worksite, and to transport logs/timber etc away from the worksite, then you do not need the CPC because the driving is incidental to your main work of tree surgery.

Yes that's the beast. If it is your MAIN occupation. As usual how it quite works out no one knows. One of our enginners does the occasional service shift as overtime, he has to have a CPC, the rest of the guys in the workshop don't. What percentage of the job is driving? And is it 'in connection with your own or your employers buissness'?

I think we need a few failed prosecutions to show us where the line is...driving isn't the main part of my job (I do electronics) but we have a bunch of kit in a radio shelter on the back of an MJ. Grey area? yes, a lot!

Stone

Tony: You can do all the tests for under £1000 but that assumes you pass first time! When I tried it was £50 for the medical, then send the licence off to get provisional for C and D (valid until 45 years of age), £35 for the multiple choice theory test, £15 for the hazard perception video test and £115 for the practical. I didn't do the CPC as it hadn't come in when I was tested but that's another £30 for theory and £55 for practical, so I make it £250 now to get tested. The training place I used was £750 for a week so it'd be relatively very cheap if you could persuade someone to lend you a truck and drive around in it with you with your L-plates on! :-D Quite a few people taking the test just need the qualification but already know how to drive one so as long as you'd got a test-spec vehicle for the day to take your test in you'd be home free.

Stone

You forgot to factor in the 7 days or so loss of earnings so there's another grand.