Landing craft

Shakey985

th_Landrover001.jpg

th_Landrover002.jpg

th_Landrover003.jpg

th_Landrover004.jpg

This is of a trip to Shoalwater Bay Training Area near Rockhampton in 1975 on HMAS Balicapan. One of many trips on LCM/LCH I have done of Queensland and the Northern Territory, unfortunitly in my youth taking photos was not a priority.

Cross loading at sea was an interesting exercise as well as driving down the ramp inside HMAS Tobruk or checking loads at night.

But 2 cans per man helped

Paul downunder

Edited by Shakey985

Here are some photos of my time at sea, unfortunitly I at a young age wasn't in to taking photos of all my trips with the Army.

Landrover001.jpg

Landrover002.jpg

Landrover003.jpg

Landrover004.jpg

These have all ready been posted but seem to have got lost in the **** fight over what was to be posted in the naval section.

I hope they are exceptable, has any one else sailed on landing craft, landed on beach's, cross loaded from one LCH to another.

I will try and locate some more of tanks cross loading and landing on the beach.

Paul Downunder

PS if some one can move my original to here it would be appricated

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Here are some photos of my time at sea, unfortunitly I at a young age wasn't in to taking photos of all my trips with the Army.

These have all ready been posted but seem to have got lost in the **** fight over what was to be posted in the naval section.

I hope they are exceptable, has any one else sailed on landing craft, landed on beach's, cross loaded from one LCH to another.

I will try and locate some more of tanks cross loading and landing on the beach.

Paul Downunder

PS if some one can move my original to here it would be appricated

Hi shakey,i spent a day with the Marines in devon,as a civillian at there training beaches where they were still landing DUKWs,as the stallwart was considered to unstable.this was about 25 yrs ago.in england the landing craft are under army control so it was prob unclear where they should go.keep up the good work,its a shame some of the 1200 odd members we have dont get involved.cheers CW.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)
photos trimmed from quote...

I think John Pearson will be able to add to this thread, he took part in landing some historic military vehicles from landing craft in Normandy 2004. They were craft belonging to the British Army sailing out from Marchwood, Southampton.

I do have some photos, but cannot find them at present.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I believe Marchwood are looking after a couple of historic boats for the now defunct Power boat trust.

This is our current fleet of landing craft

Marriedup.jpg

This is taken from the Tobruk, and as you can see there is 4 ropes holding them together. During a night loading we snapped one so loading was suspended and we moved to calmer seas. You should also note that all vehicles are reversed on to the LCH for hot landings.

LCH.jpg

LCM-8.jpg

Tobruk.jpg

its a shame some of the 1200 odd members we have dont get involved.cheers CW.

It would be nice to get the chance to do something like that, can you get them on Red Letter Days or something :-D

I was fortunate at Arromanches in 2004 to be allowed to reverse the jimmy on to a landing craft and do a simulated landing. Whilst talking to the guy in charge he invited us to go to the base (can't remember the name) load our vehicles, run out to sea and then land at their practice beach and then return overland to base. Unfortunately due to the distance involved I was not able to take them up on their very generous offer.

I didn't get on as I was with the gun team for the royal Salute. Besides a certain persons WLF was hooging all the room. wish i had a photo of the beach recovery vehicle they had, NOW THAT was MILITARY VEHICLE

landing craft.jpg

jersey lib 076.jpg

Edited by Tony B

Landrover001.jpg

What are these? Looks like a M113 with a funny turret. I know they fitted Saladin turrets to Oz M113's, but it does not look like those.

Interesting stuff.

Tim (too)

I believe Marchwood are looking after a couple of historic boats for the now defunct Power boat trust.

I didnt know that the Power Boat trust had defunct itself. That is a great shame as i was hoping for great things from them. A real shame. Yet another one.

Tim (too)

I didn't get on as I was with the gun team for the royal Salute. Besides a certain persons WLF was hooging all the room. wish i had a photo of the beach recovery vehicle they had, NOW THAT was MILITARY VEHICLE

Tony, I've got pics of it somewhere, if you PM me your email address I'll let you have them.

Tim

The vehicles are M113A3 APC/LRV fitted with a T50 turret. The turret can hold a 50cal,30cal combination or twin 30cals. This was my home away from home for 21 years as both a driver and crew commander. The turret was hand operated and introduced into service for Vietnam as the original Vehicle had only a pintell mount.

• 1 month later...