Horsa glider items

jonesy

I'm trying to collect anything to do with the Horsa glider ranging from photographs, paperwork to actual pieces of the Horsa.Anything considered.Regards,Neil.

Good luck mate, very sought after items and coveted by owners. As you know the Germans burnt all abandoned gliders to prevent them being 're used.

I know a few collectors in Netherlands who have some nice bits. There's the Glider Museum in Wolfheze might be a help.

I'm trying to collect anything to do with the Horsa glider ranging from photographs, paperwork to actual pieces of the Horsa.Anything considered.Regards,Neil.

You may not have to travel too far to find some Horsa part, I know someone near Trowbridge who picked up some Horsa parts near Lyneham a couple of years ago, apparently the gliders were pushed off the end of the runway after the war. The area where the parts are is outside the perimeter fence and accessible to the public. If you would like to be put in touch with him pm your phone number and I'll pass it on.

You may not have to travel too far to find some Horsa part, I know someone near Trowbridge who picked up some Horsa parts near Lyneham a couple of years ago, apparently the gliders were pushed off the end of the runway after the war. The area where the parts are is outside the perimeter fence and accessible to the public. If you would like to be put in touch with him pm your phone number and I'll pass it on.

I would be interested to know where the gliders were pushed off, as I live near the end of the Lyneham airfield and rent a few acres on the outskirts of the airfield. By coincidence I have an original airborne Jeep in my garage as well.

The de Havilland museum has a hybrid consisting of the cockpit of a Mk.II Horsa and the forward part of the fuselage of a Mk.I Horsa:-

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/airspeed-as-51-58-horsa-glider/

This document is useful, it gives the location of more part Horsas:-

http://www.glidingheritage.org.uk/documents/articles/BritishMilitaryGlidersv2.pdf

Excellent use of the Horsa undercarriage as a memorial. I was out in Holland for the market Garden anniversary but didn't visit Groesbeek. I'll have to visit there next year.

I've been a few times with my Corps over the past seven years but mainly stuck to the Oosterbeek and Arnhem centre areas, this was on my 3rd visit when we strayed a little bit from the normal scheme of manouvres. There's another small museum and a commonwealth war grave out that way too, can't remember the name of the museum.

If it's the one with the clay impression of airborne troops scrambling out of their graves then that's the one.

No, not that one then!

But if anyone's ever over there, you need to give this place a visit. It's got armour, aviation, weapons, kit and equipment galore, a lot from the local battle sites and surrounding areas.

No, not that one then!

But if anyone's ever over there, you need to give this place a visit. It's got armour, aviation, weapons, kit and equipment galore, a lot from the local battle sites and surrounding areas.

That I can remember I've only been to that one and the museum in the former Hartenstein Hotel, if I go again (but without the army like the last 5 times I've visited) I'll have a look further afield than the generic places we visit there.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this up as I have a few items to show.

A section of Horsa glider hemp tow rope with the comms cables still inside which was found at one of the LZ at Arnhem area and a Horsa Glider tow rope shackle which was found at Ramsbury Airfield.

Still looking for any Horsa items.

Neil.

Horsa tow rope 3.jpg

On 9/26/2017 at 2:58 PM, jonesy said:

As John said in his post I've heard there is a Horsa main spar at Lyneham don't know if it's still there