Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Mack AC ( :goodidea:), but quite right about the chain drive. Well spotted.

Here is a another photo which might give the game away

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4667.jpg[/img]

Tim (too)

Come on Tim - how much longer you going to keep us in suspenders ?

Are we getting warm ?

Gosh sorry, i forgot all about this thread. Other distractions. Very good guesses indeed. But Jack has guessed it, it is a "I am sure i walked into one" WW1 Peerless truck, with another one balanced on top. Which looks a little like this one that we recovered earlier:

PeerlessUnloaded2.jpg

Interesting to hear your thoughts that it might be a steam lorry, as the guy who owns these is rebuilding one (a Hinley i think it was) and needed a chassis so he acquired these two, but they really are quite different so are surplus to requirements. A bit sad but i expect that they will eventually end up as scrap. Such is life.

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!

Gosh sorry, i forgot all about this thread. Other distractions. Very good guesses indeed. But Jack has guessed it, it is a "I am sure i walked into one" WW1 Peerless truck, with another one balanced on top.

Tim (too)

See - I am picking this pre war stuff up :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Jack. You will want to buy one soon. Incidentally i know where there is a WW1 Liberty B for sale. Take a look at

http://www.imageevent.com/oldjeeps

and scroll down past all the Jeeps, Dodges and Internationals that have been pulled out of barns and are up for sale, as i am sure that no one is interested in those and you will find a Liberty for sale. A snip at £3,000! OK it needs a new exhaust pipe and steering wheel, but it is mostly all there.

Actually there are loads of interesting and unusual WW2 US trucks for sale on that link. Well worth a look. You cant cut and paste the pictures though as the vendor has deactivated the right click, although he will sell the pictures to you!

Enjoy

Tim (too)

Yes we know Mike very well. He put us onto the Dennis diff which was very good of him. He has some fantastic early Leyland busses which really are quite something. He also has a WW1 RAF Leyland to restore which would be really nice to see. In fact i think that he is coming down to Devon in a couple of weeks to see the trucks.

All the best

Tim (too)

Yes we know Mike very well. He put us onto the Dennis diff which was very good of him. He has some fantastic early Leyland busses which really are quite something. He also has a WW1 RAF Leyland to restore which would be really nice to see. In fact i think that he is coming down to Devon in a couple of weeks to see the trucks.

All the best

Tim (too)

Would of thought it would be Royal Flying Corp rather than RAF, not impossible though, RAF was formed 1 April 1918 so the war had a few months to run.

See attached link PDF Page 6 shows an RFC leyland

http://85.232.36.76/rafcms/mediafiles/F21BE44E_EE18_2A21_DE9200FADAA9DB6E.pdf

Hi Adam

You are quite right. During the war all of the Leyland trucks were referred to as "Heavy Tenders". The term RAF Leyland was not really applied until the end of the war when they were all rebuilt at the Leyland factory.

Very interesting article that. I will study that in detail later on.

Thanks

Tim (too)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...