Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to a guy the other day, who said after the war they used to dig big holes and bury vehicles. not far from me under a now car sales garage he said they berried loads of American kit so they didn't have to transport it home.

would they have done that is it true?

I know an ex Ordnance Corps chap who served 44-46, who told me that a lot of kit was buried and a lot was dumped out at sea to save the expense/hassle of taking the stuff back to the USA.

Barry

I was talking to a guy the other day, who said after the war they used to dig big holes and bury vehicles. not far from me under a now car sales garage he said they berried loads of American kit so they didn't have to transport it home.

would they have done that is it true?

There are legends and lies - but there must be some true stories aswell. What a dream to find such a thing....other people on the forum will know far more about this than the likes of moi.

Was there any truth in the story, widely reported a few years ago, of a large quantity of US kit especially H.D. motorcycles being buried somewhere along the Dorset coast ? With so many people combing the countryside with metal detectors as a hobby, you would think that anything still out there would have been found by now. It's a lovely idea to think that there might still be something waiting to be discovered.

Was there any truth in the story, widely reported a few years ago, of a large quantity of US kit especially H.D. motorcycles being buried somewhere along the Dorset coast ? With so many people combing the countryside with metal detectors as a hobby, you would think that anything still out there would have been found by now. It's a lovely idea to think that there might still be something waiting to be discovered.

These stories always circulate from time to time and i am sure there must be truth in some of them, along with the dumping of troley bus`es buy local authorities etc.

I belive hundreds of aroured MV`s were left behind after the first Gulf war to save the expense of shipping them back to the states.

I rember form my old detecting days in the Falaise gap, the first place to practise was the ditches / by the side of the roads where lots of small bits and bobs could be found whilst tuning your detector.

Ashley

There are legends and lies - but there must be some true stories aswell. What a dream to find such a thing....other people on the forum will know far more about this than the likes of moi.

If you want the address you could pop along with your metal detector,

who knows wot you mite find?

Here is a Humber Mk 4 rotting in Denmark, the owner wont sell, we have tried everything. He also has two carriers.

and they have been left out side the last 30 years:argh::banghead:

What a Blo**y WASTE........:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Central Vehicle Depot Aschurch is just up the road. I heard tales of Harley Davidsons being buried inside the depot somewhere

it is indeed. Oh and Beaufort's Dyke contains so much more than old ordnance - they used to take the odd aircraft carrier out of Cairnryan and liberally dump equipment and vehicles off the flight deck

• 3 weeks later...