Scrap yard relics...

Jack

With regard to fuel consumption on the MK3 ANTAR I can confirm that the one i owned and rallied between 1992 and 2005 mostly in the northwest apart from 3 trips to Stonleigh, regularly returned 5mpg without the trailer. With the Dyson 50 tonner behind it would return 3.5. round trip to Stonleigh was 220miles, work out the rest for yourself.

If you really want to consume fuel try my Ward la France M746 which without trailer only manages 3mpg (Detroit Diesel v12 625bhp)

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, although thats not far off what Mike got from his petrol engined WLF (french army manual quoted 1litre per km). We now get aout 12+mpg with the Cummins C series diesel engine, and it goes up hills without going through the gears.

Maybe I should ask Mike to fit a diesel in my bedford as I only get about 8 mpg and crawl up some hills in Kent.

Maybe I should ask Mike to fit a diesel in my bedford as I only get about 8 mpg and crawl up some hills in Kent.

You need to see a guy called S/Sgt Albert Pepper from 215 Sqdn RCT(VR) -he sorted al our RL's for us. So much so that, empty it was a case of hills. what hills and a couple would reach the dizzy indicated speed of 70mph :schocked: :schocked:

You need to see a guy called S/Sgt Albert Pepper from 215 Sqdn RCT(VR) -he sorted al our RL's for us. So much so that, empty it was a case of hills. what hills and a couple would reach the dizzy indicated speed of 70mph :schocked: :schocked:

Yeh.....and we used to rebuild the engines after they blew up ;-)

Actually, Ian, you could adjust the governer slightly, they are a flap or butterfly in the bottom of the carb and can restrict hill climbing somewhat. The adjustment is done under the domed cap held by two screws and a lead seal.

Mines not to bad empty but could do with some extra go when towing something or loaded. Still if anything goes wrong with the current engine then i will think about a diesel.

Yeh.....and we used to rebuild the engines after they blew up ;-)

Actually, Ian, you could adjust the governer slightly, they are a flap or butterfly in the bottom of the carb and can restrict hill climbing somewhat. The adjustment is done under the domed cap held by two screws and a lead seal.

Cheers Richard will check that out next time i have the vehicle out.

Pre-dieselization, we removed the governor on the Ward LaFrance carb, as it took effect just when you needed to get the momentum for the next hill. :police: It had a rev counter, so we were careful not to red line the engine. This mod made it more drivable on a run.

I think it's more a case of they have to go somewhere, they can't sit around in Withams yard forever. The MoD wants the money, and there are only so many collectors willing to buy and restore them. It's sad, but at least they're being recycled and not shot to bits or dumped in the sea.

Chris

Do you know if it's a case that nobody actually bid on them, or that the bids were less than the scrap value? If somebody had the storage space, they could make a fortune buying them for £1 and then, at least sell the parts :dunno:

(and once they were stripped bare, the main scrap value would be still be there-I presume it's not worth the bother for Withams to do it themselves)

The way I understand it is that there is a minimum sales price, set by the MoD. I would guess this is the scrap value, or a little bit higher, and if there are no bids or this price isn't met then it will be scrapped instead. It would take ages to strip down 100 Spartans, and even longer to sell on the bits. Plus you would need to pay someone to remove them, have somewhere to store them etc etc. If you were to bid £1 on them they would just rip up your form and throw it in the bin!

Chris

Chris

How must is a CVR(T) worth scrap value? Why I ask is I have some where that they could be stored. I would love to have one of each for static desplay perposses. As you said, its better to store them than have the hell shot out of them on some firing range. Withams ask far to much for me to afford.

Tony,

I don't think Withams have any left now, they all got scrapped! I'm not sure what they're really worth as scrap, there's 5 or 6 tonnes of high quality Aluminium Alloy in each one. Looking at todays price (about $2000 a tonne) you're looking at about £5000 worth of metal in each one! You would need to add in transport costs, the cost involved with cutting them up etc. The scrap man wouldn't want to pay more than £2500 to £3000 each at a guess.

Chris

OOF thats still a bit steep, May have to get some sort of club up together and try to persued the MOD to give us one before they send them to the wreckers. We have plenty of Army camps around here, they must have old kit kicking around that they no longer need. I can still remember back in 91 / 92 when the old tank sheds at Lugdershall Wilts was stuffed full of old vehicles. I wounder if any of them ended up in privite hands. There was tonnes of it, Foxs, FV432s, Ferrets and much much more. I do know some of the Chieftains ended up up north.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend told me about the location of an old army truck that was lurking in the undergrowth which he came across while working that way. Expecting to find a tractor or maybe a Land Rover i found this:

DSCN4200.jpg

Getting a bit more interested i went round the other side and got a better view:

DSCN4202.jpg

So not being an expert on these "modern" machines, can anyone enlighted me further as to what it is?

I then had a nice chat with a lady who was observing me. She explained to me that the truck and the sheds all belonged to someone who enjoys restoring old army lorrys. What a strange past time i agreed.

Well there we go. Could it be i have discovered the workshop and storage area of one of our local MVT members. What a discovery.

If any of you wish to explore our shed and field with a camera, just drop me an e-mail, and i will send you a photo of what is there. It will save you a lot of time no doubt.

Tim (too)

Edited by Marmite!!

I'm not sure where it is, but it says further down the side that it is in South-West UK and that the owner har warehouse with tanks and other military vehicles. Also says that the photos was taken a couple of years ago and that the place is closing down.

Marty