Landrover 109" Series 3 FFR

I took Richards 109" off his hands today - got her home safe and sound and now the work begins... Thus far indentified items include:

• Front X-Member needs welding.
  • New doors and seals (drivers door doesn't shut properly).
  • Indicator relay.
  • Instrument panel needs re-assembling.
  • New battery.
  • New bonnet catches.
  • Refit front bumper and rad grille.
  • Oil cooler missing from in front of radiator??.
  • Hole on floor on drivers side.
  • Repair or replace one of the front seat backs.
  • Think maybe steering could do with some attention

Picked up the paint from RR on the way home too.

Some pictures - rain stopped play after these!!!

width=640 height=426http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/P0002874.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=426http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/P0002873.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=426http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/P0002872.jpg[/img]

width=533 height=800http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/P0002871.jpg[/img]

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh!!!! Impudent Europeans!!! Every one whose any one knows the UK drivers sit on the right side of the vehicle - it's you lot who are sitting the wrong side.. :-) :-) :-)

Must I remind you that the UK is Europe too? Even if you don't have the Euro.....

Must I remind you that the UK is Europe too? Even if you don't have the Euro.....

Only in the eyes of Americans and the beaurocrats in Brussels. :-) Oh - and Phony Tony & his cronies. :-)

Americans tend to forget about the little ditch between us and Europe - thus used to turn up at a UK plant demanding a pool car to drive to a meeting in Cologne scheduled to start an hour later.... :evil: :evil:

Going to take a look tonight (need to keep the rain out as far as is possible with a Series Landie!)

Cursory glance this morning showed a couple of washers between the lock and door on each screw acting as spacers. Door closes and latches but with a gap!

Going to try removing them and see what happens - then take a look at the striker plate. Will take photos of before and after.....

Right. Door lock was spaced out with 4 washers on each bolt between the door and the lock. Removed those so that the lock is now tight against the door as is the other side and tried again - still catches but doesn't latch shut. (Upper retainer plate and is missing so there are two bright steel bolts pushed through right now.)

So looked at the striker plate - that was loose too. Tightened it up so it doesn't move - same problem!

By then it was getting too dark to see what I was doing so we have marginal improvement but still not right - will have to try and get home earlier to catch some daylight!!! :-)

Progress tonight!!

Having used daylight AND the daughter mk 1's eyeballs we now have a door that shuts more or less properly - just had to adjust the striker plate out a bit and the latch mechanism up a bit!! :-)

Thought I'd check the lighting circuits then so turned the battery isolator on then the ignition - and promptly made the daughter nigh on wet herself as one of the battery terminals was loose and we had a lovely firework display for a second or two. Got that sort of sorted (it's not right but it's on tight enough to make and keep a connection) and tried again - engine caught and ran a few times before the older of the two batteries drained too much to be able to crank her over.

So - left the ignition on and checked the lights as far as possible - we have 100%sidelights and brake lights; O/S healamp though is very dim and the lens seems to have whited out - dimness is a bad earth/connection. No idea why the lens should have gone white though?????

Still need to get an indicator relay to be able to check those though.

Also need a column shroud to cover the ignition switch and provide a mount for the choke cable!!

Things are lot better than I thought - most work is going to be remedial rather than essential. :-) :-) :-)