Overlord 2012 live updates!!!!

rosie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time we,ve attended this show and all three of us are agreed it was well worth attending , we arrived on friday

lunchtime after loosing netaken to arly all of the brakes on the journey down, we were then taken to a spot where we could

set up camp by a marshal on a quad bike , which we thought was a better idea than just being told to camp over there somewhere , the weather during the days was better than we had expected snd there were lots of public walking around the site , we took our truck around the arena on all three days of the show and it was nice to be able to drive in and out of the dips instead of driving around a flat field , we also watched the mock battle and ageed that it was good to see a battle that did,nt end up in either side winning , i agree with the other posts that it was a shame that some exhibitors and stall holders

went home early but hey poeple do have other commitments and short of putting a 105mm howitzer on the exit untill the show closes i don,t see what else the organisers could have done , although i did,nt meet anyone from on here at the show

the people camped either side of us were friendly and the other exibitors we talked to were friendly , all in all a great show that we,d like to take our vehicle again next year , thankyou and well done to all the people involved in putting it together :):)

The problem of people leaving a show early has always happened and will continue, you cannot legally keep anyone on site against their will. It is annoying both for visitors and for those who stay the course but if you ask those who are leaving early a good excuse will always be forthcoming:rolleyes:

The problem of people leaving a show early has always happened and will continue, you cannot legally keep anyone on site against their will. It is annoying both for visitors and for those who stay the course but if you ask those who are leaving early a good excuse will always be forthcoming:rolleyes:

Even the Living History field looked a bit empty, not sure how much was there earlier during the weekend but at 11am on Monday there was even one trench completely empty with just a kid and an adult sitting at the end with there kit all packed up.. if any group didn't stay for the duration at the BB they wouldn't be welcome again.. No excuse for cars in a Living History Field.. straight after the 11:15am battle we saw German armour being put on a truck & ready to leave.

Yes at every show people start leaving in the afternoon but not first thing in the morning, didn't pay to watch people pack there kit up & see what car they own.. to me the lay out ressemled a boot sale..

It was someone in a Hi-vis that informed us that the FH70 wouldn't be firing..

As a show organiser myself I know how hard it is to put on a show but as they claim they have been doing this for 35years they should have it right by now..

we went down to the show sunday (4 hour trip!!!) very enjoyable, met Rosie and Richard, also Smithy (you get about as much as us mate!!!), piccys to follow..........

Mark

I sure do mate! Great day on the Sunday, after 150 miles of rain we were fearing the worst but the last 20 miles it suddenly changed and it turned into a very nice day in the end and it was great to meet up with everyone again.

Driving home wasn't fun though with visibility down to hardly anything on the A34 and M40.

Even the Living History field looked a bit empty, not sure how much was there earlier during the weekend but at 11am on Monday there was even one trench completely empty with just a kid and an adult sitting at the end with there kit all packed up.. if any group didn't stay for the duration at the BB they wouldn't be welcome again.. No excuse for cars in a Living History Field.. straight after the 11:15am battle we saw German armour being put on a truck & ready to leave.

Yes at every show people start leaving in the afternoon but not first thing in the morning, didn't pay to watch people pack there kit up & see what car they own.. to me the lay out ressemled a boot sale..

As a show organiser myself I know how hard it is to put on a show but as they claim they have been doing this for 35years they should have it right by now..

Sorry but it needs to be said

Yes it is sad that folk where leaving early but remember most of them folk had been there from Friday and they have family's at home .

You know the day the show started but you decide to turn up nearing the end of the show and start moaning and criticise the way the show has been put on.

You may know about putting shows on and in the same case you should also know that there are all ways unforseen factors that present themselves .

I packed my FH70 away to leave as one of my children fell ill and was taken to Hospital and that is the reason why i left and if you wanted to see the guns firing ....then get there early.

Thats my rant over with

Well done Overlord Crew

Boomboom

Sorry to hear about your kid.. but "Get there early"!! 9:45am not early enough?? as said it was billed as a 3 day show but you expect everyone to turn up on the first day... get real.. rant over lol

Sorry to hear about your kid.. but "Get there early"!! 9:45am not early enough?? as said it was billed as a 3 day show but you expect everyone to turn up on the first day... get real.. rant over lol

OOOH must of touched a nerve:rofl:

As the show has now finished for another year I would like to send our great thanks on behalf of the Overlord Team to all those who have attended this years show, whether it was for nearly a week or just one day it's your attendance which makes our show what it is every year.

As many of you already know it is well known as a laid back and very friendly show with few restriction as possible, entrants who display vehicles and want to be next to their friends who have completely different vehicles, their cars or caravans near them is no problem at this show, the same goes for the re-enactors if they want their vehicles near by then that's fine too, although it does not always lend itself to a good photo opportunity the show layout is generally there for the enjoyment of the Attendees and public who mix and make new friends and show their vehicles in the arena and not primarily as a photo shoot.

This show is always on over the Last May Bank holiday weekend of the year, however as the Bank holiday moved this year we moved with it to hopefully use the extra bank holiday Tues as the pack up and go home day and try to encourage the entrants to stay all of the Mon and travel home on the Tues, some did pack up earlier others didn't.

We do not restrict when the entrants or traders can turn up ( although there is a space issue with that ) or leave it is up to them, we always would like them to stay longer but you cant force people to do that when they have paid a fortune for fuel to get there ect, and as has been said in previous posts they generally have other commitments as well, we are all just very thankful that they have gone through the trouble to enter and turn up with their vehicle(s).

For interested parties who want to make the most of this show, for the last few years it has been open to the public for FOUR days.

Fri, vehicles are still turning up and setting up, there are a few vehicle displays in the arena through the day.

Sat and Sun are the main show days with the main events going on, vehicles in and out of the arena throughout the days and battles going on twice a day.

Mon is the get ready for home day with some people starting to pack up and move out, as the show starts to wind down in to the afternoon the public entrance price is then reduced to reflect the drop in vehicles and traders.

Once again a very big thanks to all who took the trouble to attend.

they should do what war and p does and block exit till 4 pm especially as the following day was bank holiday as well

This won't happen, we allow entrants to arrive and depart when they want its laid back and friendly, and as a smaller show do not want to be compared to W and P there are many many differences between these two events.

then organisers might want to look at half price admission from midday on last show,but as we all know there are two chances of that happening!!

Well if you had turned up as a member of the public on Mon afternoon you would know the answer to that....... there was a reduction in the entrance price for all.

at 1200 pm on monday tickets were still 8 quid each if you are stating that monday is packing up and going home day charge half price admission from show opening on monday,whilst i understand many of your points you i am sure understand visitors disappointment to turn up on day 3 of a 3 day show and see at least a third of the show ground already left or about to especially as the following day was a bank holiday for most as well.

Yes at every show people start leaving in the afternoon but not first thing in the morning, didn't pay to watch people pack there kit up & see what car they own.. to me the lay out resembled a boot sale..

Well all I can say is try to get there on a Sat or Sun to see the difference.

It did later in the afternoon.

No, this "Overlord show" on the May bank holiday has been going for something like 25 years or so, don't know for sure as I've not been in the group from the start.

As we have a rotation of Committee members every now and then there are always new suggestions and new ways people want to do things, so the original people who started the Overlord show are not the people who are organising it now, be it right or wrong we all live and learn the show evolves moves with the times and desires of traders and entrants.

It has stood the test of time and seen other show come and go and it is still here and very popular, we must be doing something right......

Edited by R Cubed

An age-old saying comes to mind here.... You can please some of the people, all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all of the peope all of the time...... It is very likely that it was just a coincidence that there was one or two civilian vehicle amongst the re-enactors in the 'Living History' field, after all their equipment, props and tents etc doesn't transport itself there.... Exhibitors are permitted to turn up at any time whilst the show is on, so, consequently there will obviously be civilian cars dotted about the show ground.... Just as there is at ANY other show of this type. As for the show resembling a car-boot sale!, -which boot sales do you go to, where so much military kit is for sale?....agreed there may have been stalls selling non-military items, but 'Overlord' shows always have, and always will be 'family' shows, and will include something for all tastes. The Hi-Vis vest was in the muzzle of the show-organising-club's FH70, due to the fact that at several times during the show, club members were actually working on the gun, and the barrel was often lowered to head height while work was done one the breech mechanism. The other, complete FH70 was fired on Fri, Sat, Sun, but not Monday due to a pyrotechnic's fault.

Personally I attended the show from Fri lunchtime, til Tuesday lunchtime, and thoroughly enjoyed the FOUR days the show was open to the public. I spent most of my time directing/marshalling vehicle movements in the arena for the Post-War and WWII vehicle parades. I managed to get a look around most of the well-stocked stalls, passing by the very few non-military stalls. I wandered around the 'Living History' field, on each day, and I was impressed by the accuracy of the exhibits, whilst chatting with the exhibitors and public, unfavourable comments about the show and any aspect of it were VERY FEW, VERY MINOR, (and were sorted easily). True there is always someone who'll visit a show/event and do their utmost to pick faults....

Overlord don't charge exhibitors,

Overlord uses a grass arena, with ditches/obstacles,

Overlord promise something for all tastes,

Overlord pride themselves on their toilet/free! shower facilities,

Overlord strives to achieve the impossible, and we always very nearly succeed!,

but then again this is not a perfect world,

Overlord is organised voluntarily by its club-members. Some of whom are retired, and still manage to work from dawn-til-dusk......

I for one, will visit again, again...and again

I don't want to get in to a slanging match over this.

All I can say is if you are not happy in what you saw on the Mon, which was the last day of the show and as others have said entrants do start packing up and leaving on Mon.

Please try to get down and see our show on a Sat or Sun.

This is all I will say.

No this "Overlord show" on the May bank holiday has been going for something like 25 years, don't know for sure as I've not been in the group from the start.
Quote from the show program "which would make Overlord 2012 our 35th show"
True there is always someone who'll visit a show/event and do their utmost to pick faults....
I'll give credit where it's due but having to pay best part of 25 quid for three of us to get in to find people packing up at 9:45am is not on in my book.. as said you sould advertise the Monday as a "Packing up Day" I've been to plenty of other shows over a Bank Holiday Monday & have never come across people packing up & leaving so early in the morning.. Do you really think I travelled 250miles to just pick holes in the show.. it was IMO it was advertised as something it wasn't.. maybe that's the power of advertising.. Also would recommend moving your Elsan point.. wasn't very nice, one of the first things to see in the show ground was a guy emptying his crapper.. why stick it by the side of the road near the entrance?? plenty of other places to put it out of the way.. As you have said you are quite happy to have Civy vehicles in with the MV's & Living History.. wish I'd know that before travelling..

Hi All

Have put the video of the three guns firing on my youtube channel (petesos51) or ( fh70 firing )

I will upload the Original up on my profile page of this truly awesome event.

As you will all see on my youtube channel that i have fired the FH many times some that i have not put on youtube but i must say to see the three guns going off together was awesome.

Thanks again all, for making us so wellcome

boomboom :D:D:D