Found a box of Original Registration/Data Plates (ie. Saracen, Salandin, Ferret, etc)

brandone

I've just been clearing out a workshop/garage & stores, and found a box of approximately 15-20 brass data plates from various vehicles with the original MoD registration numbers stamped on them.

Will these be of interest to restorers/collectors or are they just scrap metal, as they are all brass?

Vehicles plates include: Saracens, Saladins, Stalwarts, Ferrets, Snow Cats & a few more which I haven't identified yet.

I've just been clearing out a workshop/garage & stores, and found a box of approximately 15-20 brass data plates from various vehicles with the original MoD registration numbers stamped on them.

Will these be of interest to restorers/collectors or are they just scrap metal, as they are all brass?

Vehicles plates include: Saracens, Saladins, Stalwarts, Ferrets, Snow Cats & a few more which I haven't identified yet.

I would be VERY! interested to see the ferret plates. Please don't scrap them. I also know Monty will be interested in the Saracen data.

You might consider posting the vehicle type and number here to see if any member owns that particular vehicle and give them first option on that plate.

If not I would be interested in a Saracen plate.

Thank you for the possibility of making them available to someone.

Regards,

Bob

Excellent find, don't don't scrap them. :wow:

List the plates here, and some pictures. vehicle type and reg number, you never know people (including me) may have that vehicle. I also know of a few other owners, will look for there reg numbers.

Like said before, offer the plates to the ones if they have that vehicle first, if no one has then I will be interested in the stolly one, (mine is missing so I can use that one as a template)

Cheers

Shaun

I echo the sentiments of other members here!

If availabale, I would be very interested in a Saladin Plate.

Well done on finding these plates. Im sure you will have no trouble shifting them to members on this Forum.

There are quite few vehilces about with thier date plates missing.

Greedy dealers a few years back, took them out & were going to weigh them in for scrap for extra money after they had sold the vehicles on. Mind you, there WERE a large amount of AFVs about at the time that were not selling. Due to the fact that most collectors who wanted a particular type. Got what they wanted, & that left a glut of vehicles available then. That was then, & these days things have changed. There are not available that many vehicles that havent been restored like back then. So collectors & enthusiasts are looking for the 'Little Things' that are missing to complete & fine tune thier respective beloved pride & joys!

I'd love a Ferret one,... moreso, I'd love one that depicts the number of my recently late Dad's Ferret, which seems to now be non-existant, according to records... will check on the number of his, and re-post....and i'd pay a fair price for it too, of course!:D

Right, I've just grabbed three randomly from the box and gave them a quick clean so I could get some photos. I'll get a list on the complete box and advise back shortly. Here are the three examples:

Car Scout 4x4 Liaison Mk1

Cont. No. 6/FV/4267

Vehicle No. 34 BA 46

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel Mk1

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 31 BA 13

Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (W) Fox (FV721) Mk1 Type G

Cont. No. FVP-1/71

Vehicle No. 04 SP 32

DSC03079.jpg

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03078.jpg

Edited by brandone

Right, I've just grabbed three randomly from the box and gave them a quick clean so I could get some photos. I'll get a list on the complete box and advise back shortly. Here are the three examples:

Cont. No. 6/FV/4267

Vehicle No. 34 BA 46

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 31 BA 13

Cont. No. FVP-1/71

Vehicle No. 04 SP 32

nice, unless I am much mistaken, the Fox plate is off one of the trials ones?

Mark

Many thanks for posting the photos. As Griff said earlier, the brass ferret data plates correspond to the early ferrets, later on they changed to cast aluminium plates.

Regarding the ferret plate pictured 34BA46, hull number 172. The ferret still exists in the USA. In fact it was advertised for sale on ebay.com in June 2010. I don't know it it actually sold or who has it now.

Would you be able to post up the ID's of the other plates?

Again, a Fantastic find!

Cheers

Matt

Right, I think I have most of them photographed now with the details below:

Cont. No. 6/FV/4267

Vehicle No. 34 BA 46

Plate Size: 23.5cm x 10.5cm

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 31 BA 13

Cont. No. FVP-1/71

Vehicle No. 04 SP 32

Plate Size: 28cm x 15cm

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel

Cont. No. (none)

Vehicle No. 82 BA 50

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel Mk1 (Model B)

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 80 BA 50

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel Mk2 (Model C)

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 83 BA 46

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 31 BA 99

Cont. No. (none)

Vehicle No. 82 BA 20

Cont. No. 6/FV/2979

Vehicle No. 32 BA 47

Cont No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 31 BA 62

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel Mk2 (Size:

Cont. No. 6FV2979

Vehicle No. 84 BA 26

Plate Size: 17cm x 6.5cm

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel Mk5 (Size:

Cont. No. (none)

Vehicle No. 83 BA 50

Plate Size: 28cm x 15.5cm

Armoured Carrier 6x6 Personnel Mk2

Cont. No. (none)

Vehicle No. 83 BA 62

Plate Size: 28cm x 15.5cm

Truck Armour Patrol 1 Ton 4x4 (Shorland Mk3)

Serial No. 94200450C

Vehicle No. 47 GF 58

Truck Armour Patrol 1 Ton 4x4 (Shorland Mk3)

Serial No. 94200425C

Vehicle No. 47 GF 49

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03079.jpg

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03082.jpg

DSC03084.jpg

DSC03085.jpg

DSC03078.jpg

DSC03080.jpg

DSC03086.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03089.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

Edited by brandone

I'd love a Ferret one,... moreso, I'd love one that depicts the number of my recently late Dad's Ferret, which seems to now be non-existant, according to records... will check on the number of his, and re-post....and i'd pay a fair price for it too, of course!:D

Write to the tank museum and request you're Dads Ferret record cards it might have who or where it was disposed of too.

On some of the Saracen plates, the first space has a number in, some seem missing and some I cannot read. I believe they may well be chassis numbers and on the vehicl they would be preceeded by ALV. In the "flesh", can you see any of the numbers, maybe faintly struck, that cannot be seen in the pictures? Tying together WD and Chassis numbers for Alvis products is a nightmare so these details could be really useful!

By the way, I guess they are range recoveries? If so, where from?

Cheers

John

Dear John Pearson,

I'll certainly have a look regarding your Alvis number questions, but as far as I'm aware these are not on any of the Saracen plates.

Just to advise and clarify that these were 'not' recovered from the ranges, but originated from from a private engineer's workshop who purchased approxmately 500 Saracens, over 250 Ferrets, all the Shorlands & the last 89 Saladins from MoD.

Regards,

Brandone

Hello

Thank you for posting the pictures. The box furthest top left on the plates (except Shorland) shows the Hull Numbers. Quite a few are not stamped but a few are. It's these elusive "Hull numbers" confirmed against Military Registrations that make these plates so interesting because no papers records can be found (Please let me know if I'm wrong)

Lets see what we can see:

Ferret 34BA46 Hull number is clearly 172

Fox 04SP32, Is it a prototype?, hull number location is stamped with ROFL

Saracen 32BA47 stamped hull number 248? (confirmation needed)

Saracen 83BA46 stamped hull number 715

All others are blank.

I know the ferret 34BA46 is in ther USA (if it's a correct number) Are any other of the vehicles known of their current location/owners?

Matt

The 2 Ferrets my Dad used for 'his' time with them, when he was in Aden, were 32 BA 79, and 34 BA 97.:undecided: I had a look but didn't see a Ferret Plate among the plates you have with either of those numbers on....:undecided:

The 2 Ferrets my Dad used for 'his' time with them, when he was in Aden, were 32 BA 79, and 34 BA 97.:undecided: I had a look but didn't see a Ferret Plate among the plates you have with either of those numbers on....:undecided:

Oily

Ferret 32BA79 (5th ferret produced) Whereabouts unknown

Ferret 34BA97 Think owned by a forum member, do you know who? PM me if not.

Edited by Toolman