tiger tank

Meteor mark 4B

[

Sounds interesting for after Fords retire me!!

Do you stay overnight locally John or do you do the run every day???

As Big Al says, we do both, depends on my availability. Run takes about 3 to 3 1/4 hrs each way so a start about 6 am gets you there at a reasonable time. If we are doing just the one day then we get back home about 8.30 but we can stay overnight in the Officers mess (bring a tie!) or camp during the warmer months.

To be fair, you have to serve an 'apprenticeship' and you won't be asked to swap an engine on the Vickers Medium on your first day by yourself. You would usually be put with a team of other volunteers doing a particular job which might be needlegunning a T34 turret, getting a Cheiftain going after a dozen years on a plinth, removing the donkey engine on a Khalid, repairing the electrics on a Crusader or greasing the suspension on a Matilda, all jobs that groups of Friends of the Tank Museum were doing this weekend just gone. Then there is vehicle crewing, vehicle driving (eventually, after training) as well as carparking, serving in the shop, guiding visitors, research in the library or recovery trips to artillery ranges to find and remove spares.

Sounds good? You bet!

Sounds very good!!!!! :D:D

Who knows - maybe this time next year that could be what I'll be up to!!!

Is there a need for volunteers on week days as well - or just weekends??

Some volunteers do 7 days per week!

Think you just shone a 10000W light on my retired future!!!! :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi John,

any chance the WW1 tank will ever run again ??

Ashley

STOP PRESS

I have it on good authority that sometime in the next couple of weeks, The Mk V will be taken into the workshops for servicing and an inspection of the frame cracks with a view to trying to run it at Tankfest. Also, it is the 90th anniversary of the first use of tanks in September and a second appearance is hoped for: maybe even the Mk IV might put in an appearance!

If I get any further details or confirmation I will let you know.

That sounds good John.

We will be at the Tankfest this year with the GMC..fancy a beer?

Sounds good: I should be there for the week before, (I have got to complete servicing the Matilda II and the Crusader III and I am also trying to get the M14/40 going) and during that week I aim to consume about 90% of my year' beer allocation so another one will be welcome! Big Al from this forum will be there as well - anyone else from here going?

Has john says I will be there with john working and drinking looking forward to it :D , we are hoping to be there on the monday :D john informed you the Mk V and Mk IV may be running this is to be confimed and maybe a surprize late entry, a john :wink: looking forward to meeting you there. :wink: Do I get a beer as well? :)

Big Al

So does any body know whats happened to the ex Aberdeen Proving Grounds Tiger. Shipped to Uk, but then what?

And whats the rumours behind somebody "building" 7 full sized repro Tigers?

Hi Karoshi,

the tiger is still in the U.K i belive, apparently after leaving Aberdeen (because they have no storage facilities undercover) it went to germany where i belive the engine was removed by persons unknown ???so it came to the U.K. but i not sure who actually has it.

As for the building of repro`s there was a similar tale several years ago with reference to german A7V`s of which there is only one example left.

Ashley