Ford WOT3

fayjo56

The one in Czech Republic is of friend of mine. First picture is from one of our military events. The WOT3 was used for new Czech movie Tobruk recently shot in Africa where I also participated as extras. You can see other cars used for the movie.

Dusan

Ford WOT3.JPG

cars Tunis.jpg

WOT3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Chevrolet "Canada" CMP=Candian Military Pattern, I thing model C60

Hi gents,

The yellow truck in the third pic in post#5, I don't know any thing about it but found a similar specimen in a South African MV Scrapyard.

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi folks,

Sorry to ask what must seem a silly question but can anyone tell me what the WOT stands for?

Many thanks

Alan

It is one question that keeps cropping up. I beleive it means W=War Office, O=V8, T=Truck. If anyone can prove the definition from Official Ford Documemts, PLEASE get in touch with me.

Robert Davey

I'd echo Robert's plea for any official documentation that can seal the question. For what it's worth, I've always been a bit uneasy with T=Truck as 'lorry' would have been a more normal term in contemporary British English.

Other suggestions I've seen include T=Type or Transport. But I'm not convinced about those either.

...and while we are at it, can we nail WOC and WOA as well? (From memory I've seen C=Commercial and A=Auxillary suggested in the past.)

Hi folks,

Sorry to ask what must seem a silly question but can anyone tell me what the WOT stands for?

Many thanks

Alan

Stretching the memory a bit but ISTR it means War Office Truck

Stretching the memory a bit but ISTR it means War Office Truck

No, this is the common mis-belief and doesn't fit in with Ford coding structure. It is a bit like GPW where many people misunderstand it as General Purpose Willys when is actually means Government 80inch wheelbase Willys (Source='All American Wonder' vol 1, page 21). I have asked the Early Ford V8 club for help and I will report any findings. I have looked through my Ford manuals, but cannot find anything yet. Please note that Ford US and Ford UK varied in vehicle model codes, so be careful.

Another point is that ENFO does mean ENglish FOrd, but there is no reference to this before 1950 so it cannot be wartime.

Vanderveen in the old 'Fighting Vehicles Directory' notes "Trucks with over 15-cwt payload capacity were termed 'lorries'..."

Rob van Meel's reprint of the Chilwell RAOC lists has both 15cwt trucks and lorries listed (all with 'Z' census prefixes) plus of course the RASC 15cwt vans with a 'V' prefix. It is not clear how accurate a facsimile the lists are. A quick glance suggests that anything over 15cwt is indeed termed a lorry.

...None of which helps explain the Ford nomenclature. The possibility exists that they started with a system and lost track of the intentions as additional types were produced.

Vanderveen in the old 'Fighting Vehicles Directory' notes "Trucks with over 15-cwt payload capacity were termed 'lorries'..."

I have just checked in my 1945 dated Ford WOT2 Manual, and they use both Truck and Lorry to describe the vehicle as well as Van. As Ford are an American company, is this where the confusion is?

...and while we are at it, can we nail WOC and WOA as well? (From memory I've seen C=Commercial and A=Auxillary suggested in the past.)

I have found an official Ford reference that says that A means Passenger Car, so WOA means W=War Office O=V8 A=Passenger Car?? Not sure about C as in WOC, but I will keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...