WW1 Thornycroft restoration

There are several bits and pieces associated with the Back Axle assembly and a minor one to be dealt with is the Tie Bar underneath it. The original was still in situ on the Salisbury Plain Axle but it was very heavily corroded. The actual steel strap between the forged and threaded ends was originally 2” x 1/4” but that had become paper-thin in places. A lot of the rust on and around it had to be chipped away and then some heat on the securing nuts enabled us to get them off. The actual steel strap was beyond redemption but the ends looked as if they could be used again.

DSCN0108_zpstrl2my2n.jpg

DSCN0116_zpsoomhhsbw.jpg

DSCN0103_zpslsfb0i80.jpg

DSCN0119_zps6aue4qrn.jpg

The old tie bar was first of all sand-blasted so that we could see what we had there and also to make it more pleasant for handling. The five 5/16” iron rivets each end were removed by drilling, filing and hammering to release the forged threaded ends and this was completed quite quickly and easily – a little surprising really where it had spent so many years in the open. We decided that we could use the original ends again.

DSCN0380_zpshi3aedhu.jpg

DSCN0379_zpscfhghlvo.jpg

DSCN0378_zps5h3etrpd.jpg

A new strip of 2” x 1/4” steel was cut to length for the new strap – the ends of it were inserted into the original end forgings, clamped up and drilled through 5/16” for new 5/16” rivets. Temporary nuts and bolts were used to hold it all together prior to riveting. The Tie-bar has a bend in the middle and this was formed by squeezing in it the vice. It may have to be adjusted but initially, it looks fine.

DSCN0521_zpsprbrhbnw.jpg

DSCN0520_zpsnhytuaqd.jpg

DSCN0523_zpsgpasksnl.jpg

DSCN0525_zpst1bfew0h.jpg

Nice to see progress :)

I love the rivit work, what tools are needed for those?

Land rovers use aluminium dome rivits... You guessed it, i want to learn it. Can't wait to see the result on the road.

If you go to the war and peace, we can meet up for some talk. Was it you lot who had the WW1 truck stuck in the mud?

Sorry to reawaken the brass plate etching subject but I understand that it is good to apply the black or whatever paint that fills in the etched surface before removing the resist film. that way you haven't got to clean it off the un-etched surface. I don't think that there is any reasion that the brass can't be polished before etching as long as it is very clean and certainly has no protective film of wax or anything else from the polish.

David

Barry

That is very interesting, thanks for the info.

Are you aware of a similar application for aluminium?

Regards

Doug

Just to add the final piece of information to what David has just said, commercially made name plates do not use black paint for the infill. There are a number of chemical blacking solutions available for brass some of which are described here;

http://www.modelboatyard.com/blackening.html

Barry

Doug,

Yes, there is a similar range of blacking solutions for aluminium.

alblack.JPG

However the normal way of colouring aluminium is through anodising. An aluminium oxide film is created on the surface of the aluminium by an electrolysis process. This film can then be dyed any colour that you like. The film also provides corrosion protection.

Home anodising kits are readily available on ebay and they do work very well. I can see us veering off on another tangent now so we better wait for the boys from Devon to provide new content!

Barry.

Doug,

Yes, there is a similar range of blacking solutions for aluminium.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105857[/ATTACH]

However the normal way of colouring aluminium is through anodising. An aluminium oxide film is created on the surface of the aluminium by an electrolysis process. This film can then be dyed any colour that you like. The film also provides corrosion protection.

Home anodising kits are readily available on ebay and they do work very well. I can see us veering off on another tangent now so we better wait for the boys from Devon to provide new content!

Barry.

if you boil an egg with something aluminium, the aluminium will go black

Not to beat it to death but I thought I would provide some more info on DIY etched plates.

I use a product called PNP Blue http://www.techniks.com/ Its used to etch circuit boards.

I create my artwork using AutoCAD but any graphics program will work. The artwork is transferred to the PNP Blue

using a laser printer. (remembering that it has to be mirrored) and make sure you print on the proper side.

I usually make artwork for both the front and back with registration marks. Once folded the brass sheet can be inserted and the ends stapled to from a little envelope. By masking both sides of the plate it allows the etchant to work all the way through around the perimeter and create any holes etc. If you don't do this than you will have to protect the back of the plate. (I good layer of packing tape works well) than cut to final shape by hand and drill any holes etc.

The brass sheet is prepped by making sure there are no burrs etc. around the edge and going over it with very fine steel wool followed by a washing in lacquer thinner You have to be very careful not to get any finger prints etc. on the brass.

The next step is to transfer the image on the PNP Blue to the brass sheet. Heat is important. I usually heat the brass in the oven. Once the PNP Blue is in position I go over it with a hot clothes Iron (no steam) to transfer the image.

A quick dunking in ice water and you can peel the backing off.

Front of plate ready to etch:

img077.jpg

Back of same plate:

img076.jpg

Any blemishes or scratches in the masking coating can be touched-up with a permanent marker. Then its to the acid bath. I use Muriatic Acid cut with hydrogen peroxide. The trick is to get enough ratio of acid to Hydrogen Peroxide that will allow the acid to work quickly but not lift the mask. I good trick to help prevent this is to apply permanent marker to the cut edges of the plate.

During the etching process I make sure to agitate the solution so the areas being etched are always exposed to fresh etchant.

100_4113.JPG

And... here it is right out of the etchant and after a quick rinse in cold water. Note the registration makes that allowed me to align the front and back masks so all the holes and the perimeter would be cut through. A washing in Lacquer Thinner will remove the mask.

100_4114.JPG

Painting:

Yes you can use chemical blackeners - unless the original was done that way I do not. Typically after a clean-up and polish with fine steel wool I spray on the background fill. I like to use off the shelf rattle can enamels. To ensure the paint is fully cured I bake the plate for a bit. Once I am sure that the paint is fully cured wrapping a piece of 800 grit wet/dry paper around a hardwood block I set to work removing the paint from the high spots. Its important to work slowly - let the sand paper do the work not muscle! Sand across the whole plate not just one portion. Also make sure you are working on a hard flat surface. (I have a piece of polished granite countertop I use) I frequently rinse the sand paper in soapy water - this helps prevent galling. Do not over sand! Its fairly easy to remove all the relief.

Once the background is in than you can add any other colors - sometimes I end up using a toothpick to carefully "drop" the paint into place. Sand again than polish with very, very fine steel wool and your done.

Here is a motometer face I made for a collector. The face has been silvered.

Untitled.jpg

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Terry

Edited by Tharper

Steve called in briefly at Devon HQ on his way down to Cornwall and was keen to try the Tool that he had previously made to form the flat faces for the Bolt Heads, which hold the Brake Drums to the wheels, by counter-boring. The construction of the tool was described previously on page 183 of this “blog”.

The tool was held in an ordinary electric hand drill, running at a slow speed to do the job, and worked perfectly. Perhaps just as importantly with so many of these holes to be counter-bored, the tool retained its cutting edge and showed no signs of being blunted!

DSCN0553_zpsjyihhm9s.jpg

DSCN0555_zpspeklcuib.jpg

DSCN0556_zps5jhgdvme.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

The tie-bar mentioned on pages 188 and 189 has now been painted and fitted to the Back Axle. It is identical in overall length to the original and this overall length is greater than the distance between the facing ends of the two fixture points on the axle - by design – so it has to be “sprung” in. The tie bar has already been bent into its finished shape but to make the “springing” manageable for one man, a short length of round stock was placed under the centre of the tie bar on top of the centre of the inverted axle and the first end of the tie-bar inserted but right through its final position. The other “floating” end of the tie bar was pressed down by hand until it roughly faced its final fixing point and then tapped with a mallet until it met with the hole where it had to go.

DSCN0563_zpshriy4lsi.jpg

DSCN0564_zps5g2umrjw.jpg

DSCN0565_zpslvdmqvui.jpg

You could postulate ( at this time on a Saturday - even ) that there was an earlier version of this axle with just the bolted ends, but when impact loaded the ends either broke or sheared this flange bolts. The strap and ends might have been the fix. Cast iron is tremendous in compression, less so in shear, which is what those flanges would be seeing lots of without that strap.