Portsmouth Docks

Smithy

A lot of them are waiting to be scrapped. The invincible has been mothballed. But apparently it has had so much stripped internally that its highly unlikely it will ever return to sea again.

From what I could see it looked like a couple of them had started to be cut up as there was plenty of scaffolding etc around them.

From what I could see it looked like a couple of them had started to be cut up as there was plenty of scaffolding etc around them.
The one with the scaffolding and tarps around it is Ark Royal,its in dock for a re-fit. I have a stack of photos i took while there in march.

I think Invincible was to be converted to a hospital ship but they have stripped so many parts to keep the other two afloat that she cannot go anywhere. A friend of mine in the know says that reproducing the missing parts is nigh impossible...and the cost would be astronomical. I presume the Type 42s are doomed what a shame - they'll either end up in South America or at the end of a JCB. That looks like the new Type 45 there. Looks amazing. Makes you wonder if we'll ever see the new carriers, money being so tight.

M